FNRttC London to BOGNOR REGIS (okay, Felpham) - 1st September 2017

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I'M ON THE TRAIN! Not quite as warm out here as I thought it might be. A good job someone sent an email advising us to bring a warm layer. Won't be going to the usual get together at Costa opposite platform 13 at Waterloo because the trains take me to Victoria.
Thence to meet @ianmac62 and Sabine near the start.
I haz BLING! on the bike. Ho yus.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just getting up for brekkie in Amiens. I guess you are about an hour away from the Lobster Pot.

How was the Cabin? White bread cheese and ham and doorstep bread pudding no doubt.

Hope you are all having a good ride and look forward to the reports.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Just getting up for brekkie in Amiens. I guess you are about an hour away from the Lobster Pot.

How was the Cabin? White bread cheese and ham and doorstep bread pudding no doubt.

Hope you are all having a good ride and look forward to the reports.
Adam's ETA was 8.30. Due to a couple of epic mechanicals we've only just got here! Bit nippy but a gorgeous morning. I will of course be doing 28 and a bit miles after breakfast....

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
Another excellent fnrttc ride. Discovered a new way of crossing the South Downs involving friendly bike lifters. Route and company good.
Thanks to all for organising this.

kimble

Veteran
I'm home, thanks to a record-breaking spint up Park Lane and no thanks to Southern Trains.

That's the furthest I've ridden all year by a healthy margin, and the longest ride I've done on The Red Baron by a factor of about two.

So, what were the epic mechanicals? I assume somebody had to find a blacksmith in order to rebuild their frame or something? (Fortunately under Fridays rules they will have been allowed TEC assistance to operate the bellows...) That's the longest overrun I've known that didn't involve an ambulance...

U

User10571

You've done well.
There's very little to thank Southern trains for.
Sounds to me like a 100% successful ride.
Notwithstanding the occasional shock from an electric cattle fence. Or two :P
(I've experienced the same as well FWIW)
Intrigue noted in so far as the epic mechanicals are concerned.
We Need To Know.

Last edited by a moderator:
U

User10571

No epic mechanicals, 4 punctures, including one at the start, it was just a slow ride, good router though, no real hills and even the couple signed at 17% were doable!
My bold
There's a question to be posed to Stuaff.......
Delighted to hear it was a good ride.
Puncture at the start?
Such pain.
Again.

StuAff

My words were not intended to cause controversy, merely reflect what it felt like to me when most of us were standing around for forty-odd minutes waiting for the unfortunate party & tail end to rejoin us. As for being a slow ride, last year (going up Bury Hill, so my moving average will be a little faster, also various other route differences both for the ride down and my ride home) was 12.8 mph moving average according to Strava. This year, 12.4 mph. Last year, I got to the Lobster Pot at 8.45. This year, just after 9.45. Comparing the figures on Garmin Connect, and the moving time for this year was actually twenty minutes quicker, though part of that will be a slightly shorter overall distance....

StuAff

[QUOTE 4941037, member: 21629"]If somebody will say that Fridays are boring I will tell them to ... think again.

Been electrocuted by electric wired fence. Naaaasty feeling.

Been stung by wasp or hornet. OUCH !!!! Paaaaainful. Still.

On my way home by train.[/QUOTE]
Boring? We haven't got any tunnelling experience I'm afraid :smile:
Ouch! Boo! And I thought I had enough hassle from wasps today (one had designs on my breakfast), clearly hadn't reckoned on them them picking on my friends. GWS.
How far did you get before heading for the train?
Nice job on the ride. You looked in great form again.

Top Bottom