M.O.T. roulette - place your bets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
To be fair Martin it probably will. I maintain my cars fastidiously.

My only concern is the rear tyres. Plenty of meat on then, but they're the originals and have some minor age cracking. They're 6 years old so at the end of their effective life and if I were keeping the cwr I'd have new boots and wouldn't complain at the cost, but don't want to spend cash on a car that is going. Reading the .gov MOT I fo they should be OK, but I'll whittle until I have that pase in my grubby mitts.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Son is busy changing the shock as we speak. Needed an extra socket and spanner, so he's whizzed out for them. Hub has to come off the driver's side on an Aygo - fortunately they are new hubs so haven't been too much trouble after a bit of heat on a couple of nuts. Just got to get the crusty top nut off. The shock has corroded around the 'shelf' that the spring sits on - pretty rusty on one side, so no wonder it failed (some holes in and was bendable on one side). Other side is fine and solid. TBH, the previous owners weren't great at hosing the car off underneath, and I've done extensive cleaning up and rust coating of all the main suspension parts. The car is 13 years old.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Consecutive days last week for our cars. Both (VWs) came back with the same advisory; some wear on the front disks, with an additional on mine of front tyres getting near to the limit. - Which I knew about. 35,000 seems to be the max I have managed for any of my Golfs.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Consecutive days last week for our cars. Both (VWs) came back with the same advisory; some wear on the front disks, with an additional on mine of front tyres getting near to the limit. - Which I knew about. 35,000 seems to be the max I have managed for any of my Golfs.

35k is good on fronts. I was most unhapy when a ful set of tyres needed replacing after 4 years, low mileage, at least 5mm left. Cracks on the inside of the side wall. Won't be buying Maxxis car tyres again (their bike tyres are ace).

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Speaking of VWs, the loan car they gave me was a new VW Polo. Surprisingly comfortable, but otherwise one of the most awful devices it's ever been my displeasure to drive.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
35k is good on fronts. I was most unhapy when a ful set of tyres needed replacing after 4 years, low mileage, at least 5mm left. Cracks on the inside of the side wall. Won't be buying Maxxis car tyres again (their bike tyres are ace).
I tend to stick with brands I know suit my cars. Michelin or Davanti on my Golfs and Pirelli on Mrs B's Tiguan. Experience tells me some of the never heard of names don't last as well.

tyred

Legendary Member
Speaking of VWs, the loan car they gave me was a new VW Polo. Surprisingly comfortable, but otherwise one of the most awful devices it's ever been my displeasure to drive.

Sounds like they carried on with the good design work started when they designed my Fabia!

Top Bottom