M.O.T. roulette - place your bets

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

presta

Guru
No one has a financial incentive to fail one of my cars as I mend them myself if they fail.

The tester's not likely to know that, as confirmed by hundreds of satisfied readers of my thread here.

gbb

Legendary Member
MOT for me today...failed, broken rear spring.
Reading Mazda forums previously they seem prone to it so no surprise.
Talking to my SIL, garage mechanic, he disagreed, most cars break springs in a way they never uses to in his experience. Very regular work for them apparently.
2 springs ordered, £127, get booked in early next week at his garage for a mates rate repair.

I'm past DIYing anything barring simple stuff on cars nowadays, it's winter, jacking cars in the cold, struggling to manipulate suspension arms etc...nah, I will take this one on the chin and pay.
First fail in decades I think.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
In a surprise turn of events, the 2008 might be going.

I randomly chucked the reg into Cazoo and they're offering me 1800 sheets more than I paid for it.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I can't really justify a car at all now living in town. I still have the Volvo for emergency use, although that's really just a summer show toy.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
MOT for me today...failed, broken rear spring.
Reading Mazda forums previously they seem prone to it so no surprise.

Talking to my SIL, garage mechanic, he disagreed, most cars break springs in a way they never uses to in his experience. Very regular work for them apparently.
2 springs ordered, £127, get booked in early next week at his garage for a mates rate repair.

I'm past DIYing anything barring simple stuff on cars nowadays, it's winter, jacking cars in the cold, struggling to manipulate suspension arms etc...nah, I will take this one on the chin and pay.
First fail in decades I think.
That's what mine failed on a couple of years ago (6 Estate).
One thing I know I need to do this year is replace all 4 tyres before the MOT in mid March as the rears are the originals (9 years, 67,000 miles) and had advisories for cracking last year, while the fronts (replaced about 5 years ago) are down to around 3-4mm tread depth.

Gunk

Guru
Although labour was cheap, they’ve charged you a lot for parts, discs and pads can be easily sourced for under £150. Link arms can be bought for £40.

gbb

Legendary Member
Garage prices for parts can be a but all over the place.
Springs for mine £127 a pair from Eurocarparts, generic manufacture., nothing special.
SIL phoned their normal supplier, around the same price but plus VAT, that will have been generic manufacture as well.
If I went to Mazda, perhaps more.

Had a lookee this morning, looks a piece of wee.
Wheel off, trailing arm bolt to undo, a drop link, swing it down, loads of space to get the new spring in.

Wednesday looks fairly bright, I'm going to do it.

gbb

Legendary Member
Garage prices for parts can be a but all over the place.
Springs for mine £127 a pair from Eurocarparts, generic manufacture., nothing special.
SIL phoned their normal supplier, around the same price but plus VAT, that will have been generic manufacture as well.
If I went to Mazda, perhaps more.

Had a lookee this morning, looks a piece of wee.
Wheel off, trailing arm bolt to undo, a drop link, swing it down, loads of space to get the new spring in.

Wednesday looks fairly bright, I'm going to do it.

Done this morning with some unexpected bonus work.
First side, 35 minutes from wheel off, spring fitted, wheel back on.
Second side, one extra component to remove, 30 minutes total.

2 Jack's, axle stand, a few hand tools, jobs a goodun,

Bonus work, MOTer missed a split in one of the tyres, maybe 1 inch long right where the tread meets the sidewall so I will assume it was right up in the wheelwell and he missed it.
Spare wheel fitted.

Top Bottom