Manchester - Llandudno Saturday 18 May 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Hard to believe but I'm still recovering from the broken arm I had last March. In September, the docs decided it wasn't mending properly so in November they broke it again and put a builders lorry full of scaffolding in there. Even more painful than breaking it in the first place, but at least both my arms are the same length now and it doesn't feel like I have a bag of marbles hanging from my shoulder any more.

The good news is that the physio said last week that I can start putting some weight on the fixed arm so very soon I will be able to hold two pints at the same time - this alone makes me think I should set a target of making it to the Llandudno trip. Also means I have a few months to get rid of the 2 stone I put on while watching Netflix and eating junk food for the best part of a year. Put me down as a very shaky possible because after what I've been through I've given up predicting when I will be back to normal. I can probably rope Mrs Doughnut in again, though she now has 2 bikes of her own and is a veteran tourer (Durham to Edinburgh in 2017, and planning a tour down the Danube later this year when I'm better) so she might even join the peleton.
Glad to hear you're finally on the mend @doughnut
I've put you on the "Expressions of Interest" list, even if it's just for a bit of the ride, a walk along Llandudno promenade, whatever

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Travelodge booked :okay:

No dropping out now......

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The Excellent Llandudno ride, a jewel in the crown of CC. I recommend it to those thinking of joining it for the first time.

It's still 5 months away but I doubt I'll be doing it this year. My cycling is waning at the moment, not helped by a tendon problem which has just recurred and which I'm now going to have to take seriously. Also the date is too close to Mrs C's birthday and I'll need divine intervention to persuade her to spend it in Llandudno. And, it's not going through Rhyl, so I'm out...........

I nominate Skolly as weather god.
Even if you don't do the ride it would be nice to see you at Eureka for lunch if you have time

Wobblers

Euthermic
Was it last year we were last out of Eureka and dashed to Flint via the, ahem... scenic route? Anyway, I can assure you I stayed on the train until well clear of Rhyl, and thus arrived in good time for scampi and chips. It's a win-win situation.

Dashed to Flint? For some strange reason, the expression "glacial pace" seems to come to mind. I don't think you can blame anyone but yourself for feeling the consequences of the night before... Besides, I also avoided Rhyl and was in good time for scampi. And I didn't need any train either...

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Dashed to Flint? For some strange reason, the expression "glacial pace" seems to come to mind. I don't think you can blame anyone but yourself for feeling the consequences of the night before... Besides, I also avoided Rhyl and was in good time for scampi. And I didn't need any train either...
These things are all relative.

Wobblers

Euthermic
Anyway, all this talk about avoiding Rhyl is liable to have me labelled as a "Rhylmoaner" (I wonder if @nickyboy's got a list?) so before I'm marked down as a malcontent, I'd better say that I'm interested in joining, provided I'm still around in the Wirral by then (everything's a all a bit vague at the moment)

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Anyone got any training advice towards completing a first century without crumbling into a sorry soggy mess ?

Fueling, training anything really, how did you get to 100 ?

I am feeling quite determined this year to not only be on this ride but to also complete it in a respectable time.

My max ever was 65 but this was a good few years ago ( 4 or 5 ) & I was just a shaking puddle by the end.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Anyone got any training advice towards completing a first century without crumbling into a sorry soggy mess ?

Fueling, training anything really, how did you get to 100 ?

I am feeling quite determined this year to not only be on this ride but to also complete it in a respectable time.

My max ever was 65 but this was a good few years ago ( 4 or 5 ) & I was just a shaking puddle by the end.
Just ride everyday between now and then!

I might be bringing Jnr along (On his own bike, not the tandem) so all you have to do is beat him and he isn't 13 until March.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Just ride everyday between now and then!

I might be bringing Jnr along (On his own bike, not the tandem) so all you have to do is beat him and he isn't 13 until March.
Ah but your boy is a Junior Jedi Skol !
Not afraid to have my ass kicked by a youngster, however a ride every day is not practical with my working hours & child care so thinking more of incremental mileage & taking in more hills as they are my nemesis.

* Or I could rig up a couple of hidden batteries in the frame of my bike & be God for the day *

Top Bottom