Manchester - Llandudno Saturday 18 May 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
He's making us flat route people suffer the torment of seeing Rhyl and all the wonderful sights it brings.
Actually, I really like the revetment stretch between Prestatyn and Rhyl. I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

In other exciting news, I've tweaked the route in a few places. I didn't want regular riders to get bored. Just little diverts to keep you on your toes

si_c

Guru
Actually, I really like the revetment stretch between Prestatyn and Rhyl. I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

In other exciting news, I've tweaked the route in a few places. I didn't want regular riders to get bored. Just little diverts to keep you on your toes
Same, it's not actually a bad route, and I quite like the drop into Gronant as well. This route looks like an interesting change though, so I shan't grumble too much.

Edit: The drop into Llandudno is now slightly faster.... :hyper:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Quick question for those with local Chester knowledge:

The stretch neat Cheshire Oaks on the route isn't great. It's a busy road. I've been looking at alternatives and seen there is a potential alternative along the Shropshire Union canal and then some pathways. This screenshot shows it:

2019-01-16.png

We could potentially go onto the canal at Stoak and then off and up to Dunkirk.

I will do a recce this Spring but any local's comments in advance?

Quick question for those with local Chester knowledge:

The stretch neat Cheshire Oaks on the route isn't great. It's a busy road. I've been looking at alternatives and seen there is a potential alternative along the Shropshire Union canal and then some pathways. This screenshot shows it:

View attachment 447427
We could potentially go onto the canal at Stoak and then off and up to Dunkirk.

I will do a recce this Spring but any local's comments in advance?
I don't know that canal bit but the last bit onto Bridle lane before Dunkirk lane is a track next to the railway. Lots of metal gates on heavy springs and funny steps you have to lift your bike slightly. I lost count of the number of gates but had pretty much decided by about the 4th I wasn't coming back. As you go over the Millenium way you can see the canal track further down and it looks OK there, just don't know that bit.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
I'll have a think about routes my initial thought is to use the Greenway to deeside and then go up to Eureka and come back down the same bit after lunch. Could possibly route slightly differently to get there, I'll have a think.

si_c

Guru
. As you go over the Millenium way you can see the canal track further down and it looks OK there, just don't know that bit.
Lots of dog walkers on the canal, bits of the path are ok, some can be quite muddy if it's wet. Either way it's narrow and I wouldn't want to be in a group.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I'll have a think about routes my initial thought is to use the Greenway to deeside and then go up to Eureka and come back down the same bit after lunch. Could possibly route slightly differently to get there, I'll have a think.
The only reason to look for a different route is to avoid the three mile stretch from Cheshire Oaks to Dunkirk. We've ridden it several times already so unless there is a simple alternative we will ride it again. I wouldn't want to have some contrived route just to avoid that short stretch

If you want to avoid that road the cycle path on the opposite side is fine. It has the usual annoyance of having to give way at the junctions but it's not bad and it's wide and relatively smooth. I've used it and the road, depending on mood. A lot of cyclists do use it and it will accommodate a group quite easily and more socially than the road.

si_c

Guru
Had a play, the main road is definitely the easiest option in terms of navigation, and it's impossible to avoid as it bisects the route.

However if you really wanted to avoid it as much as possible, then this is a reasonable alternative.
map.png

Its a bit wiggly, and approaching Nicks definition of contrived however I do ride it as an alternative to going down the main road as its much nicer. But it is mostly country roads rather than a main road with a slight detour of about a mile through surburban Whitby. The road surface at can be spotty in places, especially between Croughton and Backford, but it's fine if you ride centrally, just the edges are a bit pot-holey.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I shall sadly have to give my annual visit to North Wales and the Welsh Riviera a miss this year, in favour of a piss up modest, demure birthday celebration nearby, time-wise and geographically.

Top Bottom