Manchester - Llandudno Saturday 18 May 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Anyone got any training advice towards completing a first century without crumbling into a sorry soggy mess ?

Fueling, training anything really, how did you get to 100 ?

I am feeling quite determined this year to not only be on this ride but to also complete it in a respectable time.

My max ever was 65 but this was a good few years ago ( 4 or 5 ) & I was just a shaking puddle by the end.
If you do the flat route it's only 2500ft climbing in 100miles so it's flat. We generally tootle along at about 19-20km/hr. We have plenty of stops

Really, providing you eat properly before starting, at Weaverham, at Eureka and display an obstinate mentality for the last 20 miles you'll be 100% fine

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
If you do the flat route it's only 2500ft climbing in 100miles so it's flat. We generally tootle along at about 19-20km/hr. We have plenty of stops

Really, providing you eat properly before starting, at Weaverham, at Eureka and display an obstinate mentality for the last 20 miles you'll be 100% fine
+1.
In the meantime, here is a very simple training plan:

Ride your bike.

:smile:

Domus

Guru
I too have yet to reach the magic 100 mile distance. One tip from my Long Distance Walking days is to stay up at the front. The guys at the back get the shorter rest on the catch up stops. We had one walk leader whose favourite saying was, "We are having a five minute break here, and I've been here four minutes" Oh how we laughed.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I am not in the least concerned about doing a 100 mile ride as it will never happen but I fully admire and secretly envy the people who can do it. :notworthy:
I think it is an age thing. :blush:
In my case, meeting some of you at the Bike Hut will be approximately a 35 mile ride and I am happy with that.
There is someone in today's Cycling Weekly who would disagree with you about that ...! :whistle:

Too old for a century ride.jpg

Freds Dad

Veteran
Hi all, remember me????

I haven't been on my bike for around 18 months, but hoping to get my mojo back any time now so could you put me down as a possible for now please nickyboy
I will be looking at doing a 25 - 50 mile section, not sure what section yet

Eureka Cafe to Llandudno would be a good stretch for you to do. Very flat and food at both ends.

si_c

Guru
I suppose I'd better put my name down, 2019 looks like a low mileage year so need something to look forward to.

Besides what could possibly be better than battling headwinds through Rhyl.

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I suppose I'd better put my name down, 2019 looks like a low mileage year so need something to look forward to.

Besides what could possibly be better than battling headwinds through Rhyl.
You've not paid attention...due to the Rhylmoaners I've changed the route so we don't have the Prestatyn to Rhyl revetment section

KneesUp

Guru
This is like the Brexit debate.

My position is that Rhyl means Rhyl. It suits me to say it's what "the people" want, so I'm prepared to fill my bicycle with petrol and then cycle the wrong way down a one way street with my eyes shut and with lit fireworks in the bottle cages if it's the only way I can go to Rhyl.

Or something.

(Actually I don't even like driving through Rhyl)

Top Bottom