Miles on xxxWH battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
But im asking how many miles you have got, out of your battery……im not comparing against mine or anyone else.

have you experimented personally to see how many miles YOU can get out of YOUR battery????

No. I have never run the battery flat. I guesstimate how much I have left by how many lights i can still see.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
No. I have never run the battery flat. I guesstimate how much I have left by how many lights i can still see.
So whats the most you got out of it, in one run???

Tenkaykev

Guru
As most of the energy used in propelling a bike forward is used to push air out of the way then cycling really really slowly while maintaining an extreme aero position will give the best range 😉

OP
OP
J

jowwy

As most of the energy used in propelling a bike forward is used to push air out of the way then cycling really really slowly while maintaining an extreme aero position will give the best range 😉
With that in mind….whats the most miles you got out of your battery, as per the OP???

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
I don’t have a 500 Wh battery per the thread title. My longest ebike ride so far is 80 km and 527 m climbing. That used an indicated 70% of my quoted 305 Wh, so I guess >100 km on similar terrain would be very doable at similar speeds on a warm day with no headwind.

Does distance covered with the power switched off count?

FDCC0E23-1775-4A45-8EFF-F18BEC579183.jpeg

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I don’t have a 500 Wh battery per the thread title. My longest ebike ride so far is 80 km and 527 m climbing. That used an indicated 70% of my quoted 305 Wh, so I guess >100 km on similar terrain would be very doable at similar speeds on a warm day with no headwind.

Does distance covered with the power switched off count?

View attachment 621249
I was just looking at overall ride, i mean when going downhill, most batteries are not in use tbh…….as you would probably be going well over the 15.5mph cut off, i do anyway, as a lard arse

CXRAndy

Guru
Your weight and aero drag will always be a greater demand on the battery.

Im a big lad too over 100kg but I went for a big battery and powerful motor to counter my physical hindrances :laugh:

I have always wondered about hills on ebikes
to what extent does the time spent not pedalling and going over the cut off speed compensate for the extra power needed to get the rider up the hill in the first place
There must be a sweet spot - e.g. if you have a short steep hill then have long less steep downhill which keeps you at speed for a long time

does this end up meaning your end up being able to do more miles over all???

In my experience a short steep hill followed by a short steep downhill ends up reducing your range

any other experiences - or even general feeling with not facts whatsoever???

I bet there are ebike manufacturers that have actual data on this - anyone know someone who works for one???

OP
OP
J

jowwy

I have always wondered about hills on ebikes
to what extent does the time spent not pedalling and going over the cut off speed compensate for the extra power needed to get the rider up the hill in the first place
There must be a sweet spot - e.g. if you have a short steep hill then have long less steep downhill which keeps you at speed for a long time

does this end up meaning your end up being able to do more miles over all???

In my experience a short steep hill followed by a short steep downhill ends up reducing your range

any other experiences - or even general feeling with not facts whatsoever???

I bet there are ebike manufacturers that have actual data on this - anyone know someone who works for one???
all i know about hills is this.........my route to work starts with a 2 mile climb of around 300ft ( turbo engaged lol ).......followed by a 11 ish mile descent of around 1200ft and the further 2 miles of mixed terrain

during this period i use zero bars of battery after the total 15 mile commute.

During the same route home, i use sport or turbo all the way, so thats 11miles at 1200ft of climbing, 2 mile descent of 500ft...then the rest sort of mixed i use 3 bars of battery. obviously some battery will be used on the way to work, but how much is hard to know

so lets put that together

30 mile round trip commute with 1500ft of climbing......600ft descending, i use 3 bars of the 500wh battery

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw
Climbing at high assistance levels kills batteries very quickly.

I've done 100+km with 1300m of climbing with variable assistance levels, none to max, and used 75% of the battery.

I've done 20km with 700m of climbing and used the same amount.

I'm 116kg currently and can ride over the cut off point on the flat, up 1-2% and short 3% grades. This helps keep the battery usage down.

I have a Cube Agree Hybrid SL with the Fazua system, same as the Pinarello. It just works and is quite light relatively speaking.

Several manufacturers use the system including Boardman and I've seen bikes as low as £1500 using it, can't remember if they were on offer though.

You pays ya money to take your choice. I would definitely try several before you buy though. Heavy bikes are no fun and can feel dead when riding.

My Cube e-bike and GT Grade Gravel bike are two totally different beasts when ridden. Even with the assistance the Cube can feel sluggish up hills even though it's quicker than the 5kg lighter GT.

Choose the bike most suitable to your riding.

I love my e-bike it has dug me out of many holes.

I hope your wife finds hers

Top Bottom