Miles on xxxWH battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
1.I hope your wife finds hers
1. not a clue what that means - its not about any bodies wives

all i'm asking people is what's the max ride, they have done on their bike, specific to them......no comparison to anyone else.

basically - have you ridden your bike from full to flat and what mileage did you get from it???

numbnuts

Legendary Member

all i'm asking people is what's the max ride, they have done on their bike, specific to them......no comparison to anyone else.

basically - have you ridden your bike from full to flat and what mileage did you get from it???
It's not good (so I've been told) to flaten a battery, when I gave a figure of 56 miles that is four segments on the power indicater one = 14 miles x 4, and I bet all batterys are not all the same after a year or so old

OP
OP
J

jowwy

It's not good (so I've been told) to flaten a battery, when I gave a figure of 56 miles that is four segments on the power indicater one = 14 miles x 4, and I bet all batterys are not all the same after a year or so old
yeh ive never flattened mine.......lowest its been is 2 bars, but i do have EMTB mates who totally flattened on rides

CXRAndy

Guru
yeh ive never flattened mine.......lowest its been is 2 bars, but i do have EMTB mates who totally flattened on rides
Generally you're not fully discharging the battery pack. If the BMS is half decent it will cut out the battery output before cell voltages get critically low. This is a good thing, stopping premature aging/damage from over draining

All uphill

Still rolling along
My son has asked me to recommend an ebike for him to get about on.

This thread is useful in giving some real idea of the range he can expect.

Thanks @jowwy

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Orbea Gain 250W battery, 48 miles. I reckon around 2% per mile, but battery charge drops like a stone once 85% used.

theboxers

TheBoxers on Cycle Sim sw

Sorry I may have mixed posts up with another whose wife is looking at one.:huh:

I did a ride today 1hr, 22km, 252m climbing, lowest assistance level and I used 2 bars on my Cube with the Fazua system.:bicycle:

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Generally you're not fully discharging the battery pack. If the BMS is half decent it will cut out the battery output before cell voltages get critically low. This is a good thing, stopping premature aging/damage from over draining
hopefully the bosch BMS is pretty decent on both my machines

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The Bosch BMS is also deliberately leaves enough charge in the battery to run the lights.

This means if the motor cuts out you can cycle home unassisted safely illuminated.

You might be able to knack the battery if, having got to this state, you left the lights on for hours.

On t'other hand, it would be just like Bosch to have a second, lower voltage threshold cutout to prevent battery damage no matter how the user pressed the buttons.

Just as a warning - cheap system show battery charge in a confusing manner

e.g. my wife's Carrera folder has a habit of dropping the 'charge left' indicator to very low levels if you are going up a steep hill for any length of time
then it magically restores itself when you get to a level bit after that.
Hence trying to work out how much further you can go and still get home before running out of charge becomes a bit of a black art. Also means that it is difficult to work out how much power if actually left when I get home.
I have, on occaision, riden around the estate - or holiday park in Cornwall - for a mile or two just to get the thing to stabilise!

OP
OP
J

jowwy

The Bosch BMS is also deliberately leaves enough charge in the battery to run the lights.

This means if the motor cuts out you can cycle home unassisted safely illuminated.

You might be able to knack the battery if, having got to this state, you left the lights on for hours.

On t'other hand, it would be just like Bosch to have a second, lower voltage threshold cutout to prevent battery damage no matter how the user pressed the buttons.
What lights???

keithmac

Guru
Just as a warning - cheap system show battery charge in a confusing manner

e.g. my wife's Carrera folder has a habit of dropping the 'charge left' indicator to very low levels if you are going up a steep hill for any length of time
then it magically restores itself when you get to a level bit after that.
Hence trying to work out how much further you can go and still get home before running out of charge becomes a bit of a black art. Also means that it is difficult to work out how much power if actually left when I get home.
I have, on occaision, riden around the estate - or holiday park in Cornwall - for a mile or two just to get the thing to stabilise!

It's because the "charge left" is based on voltage and that will sag with the battery under load.

To be fair checking the battery when under load is the best bet to guesstimate how many miles you have left.

It's because the "charge left" is based on voltage and that will sag with the battery under load.

To be fair checking the battery when under load is the best bet to guesstimate how many miles you have left.
The cheap carrera is the only one that shows a big difference in charge under load
WHen going up a steep hill in Cornwall last year it went right down to 1 led
the I got to the top and it went back up to all 4
At one point the motor cut out half way up a hill :eek: - then went back to 2 leds at the top and took me home just fine

I did another 10 miles before I got back 'home' and it was still showing 3 leds when on the flat
My Bosch driven Raleigh is far more consistent
The previous Suntour powered one did wobble a little bit when it was near the change - but was generally consistent

I think it just depends on the quality of the electronics

Top Bottom