mio cyclo?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Was all all set on a edge 800 as I really fancy the navigation option on it, but don't like the fact that you have to buy the 800 with a bundle to get the maps.

I too hate the way the Garmin 800 out of box does not have maps until you buy them. I went the OSM maps route, so got full maps for free on my Edge 800, all I had to do was buy an SD card to store them on.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Thanks guy's. Never used a cadence sensor so it's something I won't miss.
Although as I keep on cycling, is it something I might need in the future ???....possibly.
The edge touring does sound appealing. I will research a bit more plus see how many pennies I have.

You can always add the cadence sensor on afterwards if it's something that you decide you want. The cadence sensor also comes with a wheel sensor which gives you a truer road speed. You can also buy an HRM at a later date if you want.

I ended up going for the Edge 800 Performance bundle for £269, then bought an SD card to use with the OSM maps, so got everything I wanted for £275.

There are pretty confusing choices out there which do not become obvious until you have actually started using the unit.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
as said in another thread a few hours ago always happy to drain bank accounts for people! :biggrin:
Cheers Ed
Can you download sportif routes and send them to your edge touring ?. I am doing a 100 mile sportif in April and on its website it has a downloadable file with a route on it that can be downloaded to the device. Wasn't sure if you can do this with the touring

pclay

Veteran
I am now trying to decide between a garmin edge touring and the edge 800 base unit only. I don't think I need heart rate or cadence. but I guess the 800 has better features in case I decided I wanted to use them.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Can you download sportif routes and send them to your edge touring ?. I am doing a 100 mile sportif in April and on its website it has a downloadable file with a route on it that can be downloaded to the device. Wasn't sure if you can do this with the touring
can you down load a .GPX file of the sortif?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
I am now trying to decide between a garmin edge touring and the edge 800 base unit only. I don't think I need heart rate or cadence. but I guess the 800 has better features in case I decided I wanted to use them.
for the moment i don't feel like i need the HRM and i can never see me needing the cadence but if i ever want the HRM i can get a separate unit cheaply enough
touring is great in my view and i love it and don't regret a penny spent on it and i don't regret any pennies i didn't send to get the 800

remember the touring has a feature where you punch in a distance and it gives you 3 routes taking you from A to B and back to A that is roughly that distance and the 800 hasn't

@Doyleyburger considering you are riding 100 mile sportif's then i doubt you are really looking at drooling over stats and marginally increasing performance etc with a 800 so for you my man i would say a touring :biggrin:
Cheers Ed

pclay

Veteran
I have done it. Having decided that I am not bothered about heart rate or cadance, I have just ordered a Garmin Edge Touring from Halfords for £170 ~(including the £10 off deal at the moment). Quiidco 3% also due so toal is £165. I will post my thoughts and experiences when it arrives. I will not be getting lost again.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_990119_langId_-1_categoryId_165741

Doyleyburger

Veteran
I feel that a touring would be bang on for what I want !
Yes the route of the sportif has a file on its website to send to a Garmin device wh
I have done it. Having decided that I am not bothered about heart rate or cadance, I have just ordered a Garmin Edge Touring from Halfords for £170 ~(including the £10 off deal at the moment). Quiidco 3% also due so toal is £165. I will post my thoughts and experiences when it arrives. I will not be getting lost again.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_990119_langId_-1_categoryId_165741
Awesome. Think I'll join you in ordering one

Downward

Guru
I've got a 305. Fantastic piece of kit. Not had any problems with it at all and have already had several map updates.

I got mine for £130 with heart rate and cadence sensor. Not sure what more a Garmin 800 could offer.

Me too
Purchased July 2013, Still going strong, There have been 2 updates too. I came from a Garmin Edge 305 with Decathlon HR and Cadence, Mio is sooo much better.

Is difference between the Mio 505 and 305 Wifi ?? I think £130 is a great price for the Mio 305HC as it came with Cadence and HR. Also 2 types of Maps which as I said have been updated twice in 6 months.

Also they have sorted the software so it automatically links to your Strava. I keep meaning to ask if they plan to add data when using it on a Turbo trainer but I haven't actually used the Turbo and even when I do I follow a 30 min vid so only bothered about Cadence and HR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom