More money than sense...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hoopdriver

Guru
There is a premium of some form attached to any marque. The premium here seems very, very high indeed and - unlike Bianchi, to use your example - not founded on any legacy or history or involvement with cycling whatever.

Drago

Legendary Member
Of course, here in the UK the name Hermes is synonymous with a company that'll lose your parcel, and an unpleasant STD. People are thus less likely to pay for the name over here.

bpsmith

Veteran
There is a premium of some form attached to any marque. The premium here seems very, very high indeed and - unlike Bianchi, to use your example - not founded on any legacy or history or involvement with cycling whatever.
That’s precisely why I used them in my example. Chalk and cheese in the traditional cycling world.

Also chalk and cheese in the fashion world, with some people having never heard of Bianchi.

Anyway, I don’t particularly like the look of that bike either, but I do understand why someone else might.

Oh my good god it turns out some people are willing to pay a premium fir style over substance. I really must past this revelation to my various friends in the fashion industry, motoring, cosmetics, food, electronics, restaurants, hotels so they can make use of this surprise discovery a cycle manufacturer has made.

Oh my good god it turns out some people are willing to pay a premium fir style over substance. I really must past this revelation to my various friends in the fashion industry, motoring, cosmetics, food, electronics, restaurants, hotels so they can make use of this surprise discovery a cycle manufacturer has made.

The actual bike quite good, a Time frame, Shimano Alfine 11, sensible city accessories. The only daft thing is the price.

The actual bike quite good, a Time frame, Shimano Alfine 11, sensible city accessories. The only daft thing is the price.
The price is pitched at people who think £10K is not a lot of money. They exist and there's a market for them. Quite a big market actually as there's quite a lot of them.

Last edited:

hoopdriver

Guru
It is neither a surprise discovery, nor a bicycle manufacturer that as made it.

People pay premiums for marques, fashion, style etc - given

What is unusual here - to my way of thinking - is the hefty premium being collected by a fashion house for a bicycle, when most people who were going to spend big money for a dream bike would probably have other touchstones than Hermes.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Style over substance? It hasn’t even got much of that and if you look in your local bike shop you’d find something very similar for a fraction of the price. All it’s got going for it is the name. When the owner tires of it and puts it Gumtree Mr Biggs might only give you a few hundred quid for it.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Style over substance? It hasn’t even got much of that and if you look in your local bike shop you’d find something very similar for a fraction of the price. All it’s got going for it is the name. When the owner tires of it and puts it Gumtree Mr Biggs might only give you a few hundred quid for it.

You are looking at it as a cyclist, not as a fan of Hermes who may find this amazing styling. Given the limited numbers produced, you may find actually the bike appreciates in value.

Not quite sure how many different ways I can say this but for some people they will be happy to pay an insignificant(to them) amount for a bike they like.

They won't care if they can get another cheaper if this is the one they want. They also will not care about the depreciation on selling it on eBay.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The name of the bike is Flaneur, which means a dandy who hangs around a French city. Go figure.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not quite sure how many different ways I can say this but for some people they will be happy to pay an insignificant(to them) amount for a bike they like.

They won't care if they can get another cheaper if this is the one they want. They also will not care about the depreciation on selling it on eBay.
But why would they want this one? Visually it’s no different to hundreds of others, like I said it’s only the name. The filthy rich aren’t stupid and in my experience they even more likely to be tight with their money. They also know an overpriced item when they see it the same as you and me and if they truly wanted a commuter, because that’s what it is, they would look at the market and compare. Maybe they would still buy it but I doubt it.
Hermes have done it as a marketing exercise to gain a bit of publicity.

Top Bottom