More money than sense...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
marzjennings
I can well understand someone spending serious money on a bicycle. But spending that kind of money on a bicycle designed by a fashion house? That seems odd. That is more bicycle-as-fashion-accessory than passion-for-cycling. As a cyclist that is something I cannot understand. The spending of serious money on a dream bike - sure!
I think that's my main gripe, it's a bike from a fashion house. I have no problem dropping over 10k on a new bike (other than having an available 10k), if it was a dream bike from a bike company.

I think that's my main gripe, it's a bike from a fashion house. I have no problem dropping over 10k on a new bike (other than having an available 10k), if it was a dream bike from a bike company.
As crazy as it sounds, if you sell bikes to 4 million people, some, just some, might be choosing on style over function. And their style might be based on abstract likes rather than practical or current trends. Crazy I know. It might even catch on elsewhere.

OP
OP
marzjennings
Don't like the bike? Don't like the price? Here's a suggestion: Move on, look at a bike that you do like and can afford.

Just a thought
Afford is not the problem. It's the complete lack of technical value, zero craft and minimal componetry that bugs me. The price is at least double its worth because of the name on the frame.

Generally the folks I know who spend huge amounts of money on things, cars, TVs, watches (sorry time pieces), genuinely believe they are getting the best of the best. And enjoy showing off why their hand built custom exotic materialed, bejeweled technical master piece is worth ten times my comparable POS. And all strength to em for that. But this, nothing. Other than the name. I guess I don't understand pure bling.

Yes, they do - we've come full circle back to the post's title, 'More Money Than Sense'
You've never bought anything that is supposedly better based on little other than the brand or how it looks? You buy all clothes at the lowest price seen at a market? You only buy the cheapest own brand product at supermarkets?

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Afford is not the problem. It's the complete lack of technical value, zero craft and minimal componetry that bugs me. The price is at least double its worth because of the name on the frame.

Generally the folks I know who spend huge amounts of money on things, cars, TVs, watches (sorry time pieces), genuinely believe they are getting the best of the best. And enjoy showing off why their hand built custom exotic materialed, bejeweled technical master piece is worth ten times my comparable POS. And all strength to em for that. But this, nothing. Other than the name. I guess I don't understand pure bling.

ANY product or service (and that includes houses), is worth what people will pay, no more, no less.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
You've never bought anything that is supposedly better based on little other than the brand or how it looks? You buy all clothes at the lowest price seen at a market? You only buy the cheapest own brand product at supermarkets?
How it looks has little to do with the brand. There is no reason good design must cost more, but I may pay more for better design. I buy very little based on brand. I do not buy clothing with logos. Why pay more to advertise on behalf of the brand? I try to buy the best quality within my budget, at the lowest price. For example when I buy long life skimmed milk I buy the 'budget' product - skimmed milk is skimmed milk is skimmed milk. Why pay double for the same product?

How it looks has little to do with the brand. There is no reason good design must cost more, but I may pay more for better design. I buy very little based on brand. I do not buy clothing with logos. Why pay more to advertise on behalf of the brand? I try to buy the best quality within my budget, at the lowest price. For example when I buy long life skimmed milk I buy the 'budget' product - skimmed milk is skimmed milk is skimmed milk. Why pay double for the same product?
So do you buy unbranded clothes at say M&S as opposed to the market which would be a 1/4 of the price? Do you think the M&S product is 4 times better? Will it last 4 times longer?

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I haven't bought anything from M&S for many years as while their quality has dropped the price has increased. Other budget clothing from ASDA, Tesco and the like has become highly competitive. I have not bought clothing from markets, but would if the product appeared to be of reasonable quality. Too often 'branded' products are of no better quality or design than unbranded - of course you could argue that M&S, George at ASDA etc have become or are being promoted as brands in their own right. I have NO brand loyalty.

OP
OP
marzjennings
ANY product or service (and that includes houses), is worth what people will pay, no more, no less.
Agreed, but the only intrinsic value in this bike that would make it worth buying is its exclusivity. Which, yes, is often sufficient justification to buy anything. And maybe why I bought a Park Tool pizza cutter years back.

I guess I already know why folks would buy such a bike, but that doesn't make their decision (or mine to buy a Park Tools pizza cutter) any less risible.

Agreed, but the only intrinsic value in this bike that would make it worth buying is its exclusivity. Which, yes, is often sufficient justification to buy anything. And maybe why I bought a Park Tool pizza cutter years back.

I guess I already know why folks would buy such a bike, but that doesn't make their decision (or mine to buy a Park Tools pizza cutter) any less risible.
What if they just liked the look of it?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It is a truth that we hold to be self-evident:
Anyone who pays more for a bike than I paid for my bike, has more money than sense.
Anyone who pays less is wasting their money on tat.
I, and I alone, know the sweet spot of good value.

How true. There are millions of people in the world riding around on bikes that probably cost them £20 and they would look at most UK cyclists and say "more money than sense". Of course a UK cyclist would point to all sorts of wonderful aspects of their bikes to justify spending more than £20

But the same applies in reverse here. Some wealthy person (wealthy from our perspective, just like we are wealthy from most of the world's perspective) rides around on a bike we cannot see any justification for buying on a "value" basis. Just as most of the world would come to the same conclusion about the bikes we are riding around on

If it’s worth the money to those that can afford it, why not? What’s the point in earning money and paying taxes if you can’t spend it? Sticking it in an offshore savings account helps nobody. Spending it puts it back into the economy.
They actually tend to be offshore investment vehicles that minimise taxes on dividends and capital gains, rather than the kind of savings accounts that plebeians would utilise, so they are are helping others on a technicality, as investing in enterprise creates jobs and economic growth.

No need to thank me :P

Top Bottom