1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More money than sense...

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by marzjennings, 8 Feb 2018.

1. youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

I would actually pay more for the 'same' tee shirt without the logo.

2. OP
    OP
    marzjennings

marzjennings Veteran

Agreed, but the only intrinsic value in this bike that would make it worth buying is its exclusivity. Which, yes, is often sufficient justification to buy anything. And maybe why I bought a Park Tool pizza cutter years back.

I guess I already know why folks would buy such a bike, but that doesn't make their decision (or mine to buy a Park Tools pizza cutter) any less risible.

3. What if they just liked the look of it?

screenman and FishFright like this.
  4. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

How true. There are millions of people in the world riding around on bikes that probably cost them £20 and they would look at most UK cyclists and say "more money than sense". Of course a UK cyclist would point to all sorts of wonderful aspects of their bikes to justify spending more than £20

But the same applies in reverse here. Some wealthy person (wealthy from our perspective, just like we are wealthy from most of the world's perspective) rides around on a bike we cannot see any justification for buying on a "value" basis. Just as most of the world would come to the same conclusion about the bikes we are riding around on

Cycleops likes this.
  5. confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist Über Member

They actually tend to be offshore investment vehicles that minimise taxes on dividends and capital gains, rather than the kind of savings accounts that plebeians would utilise, so they are are helping others on a technicality, as investing in enterprise creates jobs and economic growth.

No need to thank me :P

Markymark likes this.
  6. Maenchi

Maenchi StoneDog

........?????????? a couple of HOURS ?

7. OP
    OP
    marzjennings

marzjennings Veteran

That's cool, their choice and my choice to ridicule/praise/ignore as I see fit.

My mum used to tell us that if you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all. A Mark Twain quote I think and something I totally disagree with. For me, if I'm doing some stupid or buying something senseless I would like to know.

Drago likes this.
  8. Your op was doing something stupid, I thought you’d like to know. Just my choice to ridicule as I see fit of course.

9. jayonabike

jayonabike Powered by caffeine & whisky

Love these threads when they pop up every now and then. Someone can afford something and you can’t therefore they have more money than sense? Don’t make me laugh. If someone wants to drop 10 grand on something that gives them pleasure then why not. Whether it’s worth that amount is irrelevant.
    People should accept what they have and some people have more than them and be happy with their lot.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2018
    roadrash, Alan O, bpsmith and 3 others like this.
  10. FishFright

FishFright Über Member

Liking things isn't good enough for the lower classes, they need feel the approval from other peasants that making an adequate purchase brings.

Drago and Markymark like this.
  11. I spend my money how I like. If I’m lucky I’ll not only enjoy what I like but annoy people too.

Alan O, Dogtrousers and FishFright like this.
  12. OP
    OP
    marzjennings

marzjennings Veteran

Probably.

But my OP wasn't about affordability, as I said if you have it spend it. I just found this particular bicycle, if purchased as a bicycle rather than a fashion accessory, a monumental waste of cash. An emperors new bike. I wasn't saying one should spend less, but I was trying to say for that sort of money, oh the bike one could have built.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2018
  13. FishFright

FishFright Über Member

Which would also be a monumental waste of cash, a emperors new bike too 99% of the population so .... what next ?

14. SpokeyDokey

SpokeyDokey 61: old body, head still feels the same. Staff Member

Commission a top QC to do some work for you....

screenman likes this.
  15. mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

True that.

Dogtrousers likes this.