More money than sense...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
If anyone thinks this bike would be bought to ride then I imagine they may not be getting the point.

mustang1

Guru
If it’s worth the money to those that can afford it, why not? What’s the point in earning money and paying taxes if you can’t spend it? Sticking it in an offshore savings account helps nobody. Spending it puts it back into the economy.
But I'm not sure what is special about this bike? It comes with that funny thing next to the chainrings. There has to be some thing, anything, that this bike has that another doesn't .Perhaps it has no-questions-asked theft insurance included in the price, or they will deliver the bike to your door and give you a bike fitting arrive in your house, or, well, just something.

But I don't see anything on the bike, or comes with the bike.

If there are two absolutely identical bikes, same material, same frame, same components, everything identical, but one has Aston Martin written on it and someone wants to pay £5k (or whatever) more for it, then at least that is something.

Bit on that orange bike, I don't see what features it has to justify the 13k tag. Other than that, I agree with what you say (if you have money then spend it on what you like etc).

Edit: aha, I take that back! Reading further down the thread, I see it has a fashion house brand name (I've not actually heard of Hermes but it does sound like a disease). There we go.

Last edited:
But I'm not sure what is special about this bike? It comes with that funny thing next to the chainrings. There has to be some thing, anything, that this bike has that another doesn't .Perhaps it has no-questions-asked theft insurance included in the price, or they will deliver the bike to your door and give you a bike fitting arrive in your house, or, well, just something.

If there are two absolutely identical bikes, same material, same frame, same components, everything identical, but one has Aston Martin written on it and someone wants to pay £5k (or whatever) more for it, then at least that is something.

Bit on that orange bike, I don't see what features it has to justify the 13k tag. Other than that, I agree with what you say (if you have money then spend it on what you like etc).

Edit: aha, I take that back! Reading further down the thread, I see it has a fashion house brand name (I've not actually heard of Hermes but it does sound like a disease). There we go.
Maybe it's just pretty. Go see how much a designer t-shirt costs against something in M&S. Probably same quality, same material, same factory even. Then compare the prices. Then tell me nobody buys designer clothes.

mustang1

Guru
Maybe it's just pretty. Go see how much a designer t-shirt costs against something in M&S. Probably same quality, same material, same factory even. Then compare the prices. Then tell me nobody buys designer clothes.

What if the two t-shirts are identical? But one has a brand name on it?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The price you pay for any premium branded good bears little relation to the cost of manufacture. You're paying for a lot more than the nuts and bolts. Everyone knows Hermes and what they stand for, that costs a lot and it gets recouped in the pricing

Good luck to them. If someone buys it and enjoys it that's fair enough for me

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Let’s just remind ourselves of the typical Hermes customer wearing one of their products:

84E56F73-BB99-43CB-8434-6F308FBFA405.jpeg

MiK1138

Veteran
I guess if you want it can afford it then why not. I was talking to a relation I haven't seen in a while and he told me he just bought himself a Ferrari F40, he didnt need it but he wanted it. so fair do's

The frame is by Time, who knit their own carbon, it has sliding vertical rear dropouts which is a rare feature, as well as front mudguard eyelets on a high end carbon frame. The short wheelbase seat-tube cutout may do something...or not. The rear disk brake is is the wrong position for a utility bike that wears mudguards and panniers but I don't imagine I will see this one locked up at Aldi's on a rainy day. Ultra-prestige utility bikes are a logical disconnect even if they are very nice ones.

Top Bottom