1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

More money than sense...

Discussion in 'General Cycling Discussions' started by marzjennings, 8 Feb 2018.

1. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

But why would they want this one? Visually it’s no different to hundreds of others, like I said it’s only the name. The filthy rich aren’t stupid and in my experience they even more likely to be tight with their money. They also know an overpriced item when they see it the same as you and me and if they truly wanted a commuter, because that’s what it is, they would look at the market and compare. Maybe they would still buy it but I doubt it.
    Hermes have done it as a marketing exercise to gain a bit of publicity.

2. MartyBenji

MartyBenji Member

There's not even any mudguards

3. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

If anyone thinks this bike would be bought to ride then I imagine they may not be getting the point.

4. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

True, I can imagine it being given as a gift at a corporate event to well healed perhaps horsy customers.

5. screenman

screenman Legendary Member

Or hung on a wall.

6. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

Couple of hours earnings? How much an hour do you get?

ADarkDraconis likes this.
  7. mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

But I'm not sure what is special about this bike? It comes with that funny thing next to the chainrings. There has to be some thing, anything, that this bike has that another doesn't .Perhaps it has no-questions-asked theft insurance included in the price, or they will deliver the bike to your door and give you a bike fitting arrive in your house, or, well, just something.

But I don't see anything on the bike, or comes with the bike.

If there are two absolutely identical bikes, same material, same frame, same components, everything identical, but one has Aston Martin written on it and someone wants to pay £5k (or whatever) more for it, then at least that is something.

Bit on that orange bike, I don't see what features it has to justify the 13k tag. Other than that, I agree with what you say (if you have money then spend it on what you like etc).

Edit: aha, I take that back! Reading further down the thread, I see it has a fashion house brand name (I've not actually heard of Hermes but it does sound like a disease). There we go.

Last edited: 8 Feb 2018
    ADarkDraconis, NorthernDave and Drago like this.
  8. A lot less than that. But there's plenty that do....and that's who the bike is marketed at.

9. Maybe it's just pretty. Go see how much a designer t-shirt costs against something in M&S. Probably same quality, same material, same factory even. Then compare the prices. Then tell me nobody buys designer clothes.

Alan O and AndyRM like this.
  10. mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

What if the two t-shirts are identical? But one has a brand name on it?

11. Then they aren't identical

snorri and AndyRM like this.
  12. nickyboy

nickyboy Norven Mankey

The price you pay for any premium branded good bears little relation to the cost of manufacture. You're paying for a lot more than the nuts and bolts. Everyone knows Hermes and what they stand for, that costs a lot and it gets recouped in the pricing

Good luck to them. If someone buys it and enjoys it that's fair enough for me

BoldonLad and Dogtrousers like this.
  13. Cycleops

Cycleops Veteran

Let’s just remind ourselves of the typical Hermes customer wearing one of their products:

84E56F73-BB99-43CB-8434-6F308FBFA405.jpeg

marzjennings and Drago like this.
  14. Which is the scenario with many designer clothes. They are often identical save for a logo. People pay more for it.

mustang1 and Alan O like this.
  15. gavroche

gavroche Getting old but not past it

People's ego is their downfall and manufacturers / advertisers know how to use that to their advantage.

Drago likes this.