Motorcyclists in bus lanes - pay more attention!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Working in London again, our site compound is in Wandsworth and to drive in, left turning vehicles must cross a bus/cycle lane. We were dealing with truck this morning that had to turn left to get into our compound. A male cyclist stopped (thank you sir:thumbsup:) but two motorcyclists in the bus lane behind him, just sped on through the gap as if they didn't see a big truck indicating left. We have subsequently changed our delivery policy to having vehichles approach from the east, thus turning right so they can see oncoming cyclists and motorcyclists.

I think this is because the cyclist is more aware of turning vehicles, having used bus lanes a lot. The PTW's obviously seem still fairly new to using bus lanes and treated them as a high-speed thoroughfare. It must be the novelty of having free space in front of you.

Pauluk

I'm glad non of my children ever opted for a motor bike. Its always been my belief that you have to be a very very disciplined rider through the years to stay alive on a motor bike. Just my opinion from my observations over many years as a road user.

DRHysted

Guru
I'm glad non of my children ever opted for a motor bike. Its always been my belief that you have to be a very very disciplined rider through the years to stay alive on a motor bike. Just my opinion from my observations over many years as a road user.

No just sensible and lucky.

Pauluk

DRHysted said:
No just sensible and lucky.
The problem is that motor bikes are so powerful and fast. Its so easy for the rider to take a chance on something (overtake, squeeze through a gap, overtake a car when its signalling to turn right thinking you can beat it).

You may call it sensible, I call it discipline.

"Lucky". We all need a bit of that on today's roads and motorways. :angel:

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I am a motorcyclist. I have 3. I think you need to be sensible, disciplined and lucky. Most of all you need to have a mature attitude. I have had big sports bikes but now I have an 1100 injection cruiser and I find it is the sports bikes that cause most of the problems.

It drives me nuts to see motorcyclists acting irresponsibly. They are an accident just waiting to happen.

Steve

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Motorcyclists have been allowed to use some bus lanes for the past 2 or 3 years. And all bus lanes for the past few months.
They should have plenty of experience in using them now.

sidevalve

Über Member
Unless we're missing something here [such as a give way sign etc] it is the responsibility of the DRIVER to make sure it is safe to turn in ANY direction or make ANY manouver. Sorry but just switching on the indicator does NOT give the right to simply turn in any direction at will. Would the driver have turned left into a bus had it been there ? Or is it a case of m/cyclists [and poss,if they don't stop] cyclists because they're small and can be intimidated and wont damage the truck don't count ?
Driving any vehicle is a resposibility, be it bicycle, car, m/cycle or truck and I'm sorry to say far too many people think "if I can't see youu [or don't bother lookig] it's not my fault". Well yes it is.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

It turned out that the driver had a camera system on board and so was waiting for a suitable gap. However, I still think the motorcyclists were just chancing it. If I were on a motorbike and saw a cyclist stop, then I would wonder why and adjust my riding accordingly. It just seemed plain rude to me, the attitude being, "there's a gap, go for it!".
It is also the responsibility of the rider to be aware of vehicles around them and, in my opinion, good manners to give way on certain occasions.

Reactions: gaz

Night Train

Maker of Things
I think, reading the OP, that the M/C sped through the gap, presumably after the lorry driver had started the turn. Maybe the lane was clear when the driver started given that M/C can be moving quite fast.

Also the OP also said that they have changed policy to require lorries to approach from the other direction so that they can have a better view of the bus lane.
I would say that is a positive move that doesn't make it the M/C fault, even if it might have been, and puts the lorry driver in a better place to make the decision on whether it is safe to turn.

sidevalve

Über Member
"Sped on through" as in simply carried on going in a perfectly legal manner in a lane in which they had every right to be. The question is not "did they carry on" but did they speed up AFTER the truck started his turn, a very different matter. If every time a cyclist stopped all other traffic did the same [even if this meant a crash stop] then not much would move at all, pehaps he was lost, perhaps he just needed a rest. Are we now to expect everyone to stop and give way to trucks [includidg cyclists of course] simply because the driver can't be bothered to look ? Yes it IS a positive move to alter the approach direction however had the cyclist not stopped and the truck turned into his path causing a [probably serious] accident I'm sure we would now be seeing pages of comments about "stupid reckless truck drivers". Further, a cyclist can often stop simply by pulling into the kerb, a m/cycle in the flow of traffic may not have that option. Sorry but I feel we are seeing a massive dose of double standards here.
Finally NOTHING will change the fact that it is the drivers responsibility to make sure his manouver is safe and no amount of excuses will change that. It may be polite to give way but it is not a legal requirement, driving safely is.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

It would be perefectly legal of me to wander blindfolded across Tottenham Court Road, but not sensible or safe. So can we seperate what is legal from what is actually safe?. The cyclist stopped because he successfully anticipated a hazard ahead while the two motorcyclists simply carried on regardless. While relating this story to one of our other delivery drivers, he had a more 'forthright' opinion of the capital's motorcyling community. As he put it: F*****g motorcyclists. If they want to use bus lanes, then learn to f*****g ride properly:blush:.

I have to say that from what I've seen in London this past week, I agree in part with him, although I do understand that there are many cyclists here who are also motorcyclists and obey the rules. On Grosvenor Road in Westminster I saw three bikers riding along the mandatory section of CS8 to get to the ASL. I've lost count of how many times I see the ASL's full of motorbikes with cyclists stuck in traffic. They seem quite agressive in asserting themselves. On my way back to our compound, I saw a motorcyclist casually mount the pavement and ride along the Thames path - are they allowed on it?. Probably not.

Last night proved somewhat amusing. I had our traffic management out on Nine Elms Lane near Battersea Power station awaiting a delivery and I noted several motorcyclists speeding in the opposite bus lane. However, they all had to 'jam on the anchors' as there were two speed cops waiting for them about 200 yards further on:laugh:. Funny how they nearly all had really small licence plates, about the size of a postcard. Are they afraid of anything?.

Due to the reckless riding I frequently witness when I'm in London, I agree with the London Cycling Campaign and believe that TfL have made a mistake in allowing them in bus lanes. It increases the risk for other users.

Top Bottom