Mudguards like them dislike them useful or unnecessary?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I made a comment about mudguards on the roadkill thread. I was only joking,:angel: but i think that i touched a raw nerve with some.:whistle: I only cycle for fun and exercise so therefore i wear cycle clothing so if it gets wet so be it, i have a shower when i get home and throw the cycle clothes in the wash, but i can understand the commuters who have to work after their journey not wanting to sit or stand all day with wet,splattered feet and legs.
What are your thoughts about mudguards?

snorri

Legendary Member
An essential part of my bicycle, not only for the weather protection they provide, but for the sake of appearance. Cycling without mudguards is on a par with tucking your trousers in to your socks.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
As a youngster I used to think mudguards were for old men. In my late 30's I started to commute by bike a few times a week and once I bought a dedicated commuter to relieve my MTB for it's intended purpose I wasted little time in sticking on some mudguards. That was nearly 2 years ago and they haven't been off since! Best thing since sliced bread (and I am still not quite 40 :thumbsup:).

I'm over 40 and I've never seen the point of mudguards. On the mountain bike they just reduce mud clearance and cause the wheels to get stuck. On the road bike they don't seem to do a great job of stopping the rain falling on my head. If I want to stay dry I wear water proofs.

The again I like getting filthy ducky and cycle maintenance is how I chill out. ^_^

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
An essential part of my bicycle, not only for the weather protection they provide, but for the sake of appearance. Cycling without mudguards is on a par with tucking your trousers in to your socks.

Many would say the opposite about appearance. Would mudguards look right on those road bikes on the "Lust after"thread?;)

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
I'm over 40 and I've never seen the point of mudguards. On the mountain bike they just reduce mud clearance and cause the wheels to get stuck. On the road bike they don't seem to do a great job of stopping the rain falling on my head. If I want to stay dry I wear water proofs.

The again I like getting filthy ducky and cycle maintenance is how I chill out. ^_^

Horses for courses!!!!

Obviously no guards on an MTB. Also never on that sunny day road bike, but the workhorse, all weather, do-it-all bike then absolutely. Who can possibly like having the filthy road traffic mucky water thrown up in their eyes when cycling in the rain?

Sara_H

Guru
I've recently changed from using my fully mudguarded hybrid to my mountain bike with one of those strap on mudguards.
In the recent spell of heavy rain I REALLY missed my proper mudguards, once or twice I could barely open my eyes for all the spray coming up at me.
I'm now working out how to get a full mudguards onto a mountain bike with a suspension fork!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I usually smile when I see cyclists with a badger stripe of mud/road muck along their back and derrière, and think thank goodness I have mudguards. The other problem is if you are following a cyclist without mudguards on a wet day - you either end up dropping back or having to overtake.

Top Bottom