Mudguards like them dislike them useful or unnecessary?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Have some £4 Asda ones on my trekking/shopping/towpath bike, I don't mind wet but I don't like wet mud. Don't have them on my other bikes because I don't find them aesthetically pleasing and I don't care about "wet".

Oh, have a black Dahon D7, that has black mudguards and it looks "right", I don't know why...........:wacko:

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
definatly love my mudguards, however i managed to break the rear one a little bit so need to fix it sharpish!

definatly a necessity when your in the country and the fields are muddy which the local farmers carefully spread with their tractor tyres. lol

Proper mudguards are a god send in wet weather - and if they hug the wheels then they don't detract from the appearance of the bike. The only downside is they get in the way a little if you're putting your bike in the back of the car. Taking a QR wheel off makes no difference. as there's still half a wheel sized object there!!

Mike!

Guru
I have full guards fitted to my commuter all year round and wouldn't be without them, more often than not it's not actually raining on my commute but puddles galore means I'm still dry with them fitted. Keeps my luggage cleaner than without them (and my luggage often has work clothes in so they need to be decent!).

Don't have them on my "best bike" though and if i'm out for a ride on that (not work) i don't really care if i get really wet / dirty (although i don't take it out if it's already raining!)

Cyclist33

I've recently changed from using my fully mudguarded hybrid to my mountain bike with one of those strap on mudguards.
In the recent spell of heavy rain I REALLY missed my proper mudguards, once or twice I could barely open my eyes for all the spray coming up at me.
I'm now working out how to get a full mudguards onto a mountain bike with a suspension fork!

With the strap ons, especially the front one, a cm fore or aft makes a big difference to how much spray hits you in the face, I find...

Stu

Sandra6

Veteran
Once upon a time I thought all bikes had mudguards :blush:
My apollo metis has them -of course it does - and I tend to use that for the cycle to work on wet days so I don't look a wreck when I get there.
I wouldn't dream of putting them on the specialized vita though, it would just look wrong.
To be fair though, I tend to avoid cycling for fun if it's raining, because, well it wouldn't be much fun.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Crud roadracer 2 s on my Cube Peloton, they don't exactly spoil its looks, and my back, arse and feet stay drier in this summer weather. The bike isn't liberally sprayed with filth onto the front mech and BB either.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Mudguards essential (in my opinion) for all weather commuters.

Keep clothes and drivetrain clean...and... in sub-zero temperatures, they drastically reduce the airflow thrown back by the front wheel. When I added full mudguards to my commuter half-way into my first winter, I noticed my toes were thankful.

MissTillyFlop

Evil communist dictator, lover of gerbils & Pope.
I made a comment about mudguards on the roadkill thread. I was only joking,:angel: but i think that i touched a raw nerve with some.:whistle: I only cycle for fun and exercise so therefore i wear cycle clothing so if it gets wet so be it, i have a shower when i get home and throw the cycle clothes in the wash, but i can understand the commuters who have to work after their journey not wanting to sit or stand all day with wet,splattered feet and legs.
What are your thoughts about mudguards?

They're good whilst they last, but in my experience they end up going wrong and prompt a lot of fannying around that I simply cannot be bothered with.

If I didn't have a shower at work though, would defintely have them.

Maylian

Veteran
Personally I don't use them on my commuter / road bike since I don't like the look of them. That would change if I wasn't able to get showered and changed at work though. On my hybrid I use a rear one only (strap on :stop: ) as I don't think it looks out of place.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I prefer them. The front one keeps muck off my BB and me, the rear one keeps muck off my pannier and me and following cyclists.

However, if you ride a bike only on clean, dry roads, or in the velodrome, you may want to dispense with them.;)

When I took the Ratrike for a ride on some grass I got dog mess in my face. Mudguards were the very next modification.

lulubel

Über Member
Not necessary on the road bike where I live. On the rare occasions it's raining when I want to go for a ride, I take the mountain bike. (Opportunities to get it wet and mucky are so rare that I have to take them when they come up.)

If I was commuting or touring, it would be a different matter, and I'd say definitely essential.

I really don't like the look of mudguards on road bikes, but I think a tourer would look naked without them.

Top Bottom