Mudguards like them dislike them useful or unnecessary?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
not been out riding much over the winter then..?

.......Commuted most days through the winter. What's a wet bum and some grit up your back? I spend alot of my life looking grubby, I'm used to it!

boydj

Legendary Member
Guards in the winter reduce the amount of crap on your front mech. In the rain they keep your backside a lot drier and if you are riding in a group it is very unpleasant riding behind a bike without guards in the wet. Some clubs insist you have them.
If you are a regular, all-weather commuter, mudguards are essential to minimise wear and tear on the bike, and to make life a bit more pleasant for the rider when the weather is bad.

My club is one of those with a winter club runs rule - mandatory mudguards from October to the end of March. There's a lot of farm waste on some of the roads we use.

D

Deleted member 1258

Full mudguards on the fixed I commute on, including mudflaps, summer best bike a pair of skinny mudguards, I wouldn't want to ride a bike without them.

potsy

Rambler
Full guards with DIY flaps on the CX commuter, Raceblades on the road bike.
Very rarely take them off unless there's going to be a long spell of dry weather (yeah right) ^_^

400bhp

Guru
Mudguards ruin the appearance of road bikes-FACT
They are the equivalent of wearing a flat cap, which seem to be en vogue amongst a certain section of society...... and have you seen these young lads with elasticated bottomed jeans and ladies slip on shoes?! ssomeone should have a word with them!

Whereas not "wearing" mudguards is the equivalent of the emperor's new clothes.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Slightly off topic, but has anybody got a link for that nifty little thing that acts as a mudguard and slips between the saddle rails?

Thank you.
http://ass-savers.com/

Incidentally the Brooks compatible version is in process and will be available later this year (per email from Staffan Weigel)

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
True enough, I haven't had to deal with persistently wet conditions for years and most of my riding today is either for sport or pleasure. I don't commute by bike everyday like I used to.

I'll step back from my opinion of totally useless and say I would have mudguards for the pub bike to avoid the lovely mud line up the back of the shirt.
That's a good enough excuse, i'm getting some for my pub bike asap.:thumbsup:

akb

Veteran
On the MTB, no. One of the many reasons I enjoy MTB trails is due to the fact that I get nice and dirty when out. Plus they look silly on a MTB (IMHO of course!)
On the commuter, yes. I get changed at work (in to my work gear). When its time to leave to come home, there is nothing worse than putting on wet clothes from 8 hours ago. Unfortunately I have no drying facilities at work.

Peter Armstrong

Über Member
I've took mine off, Dont like the look of them plus if its wet, im wet to, with or without guards, but I only ride on the road, If I was on a MB and off road, Id deffently have them on!

Top Bottom