Mudguards like them dislike them useful or unnecessary?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I'm over 40 and I've never seen the point of mudguards. On the mountain bike they just reduce mud clearance and cause the wheels to get stuck. On the road bike they don't seem to do a great job of stopping the rain falling on my head. If I want to stay dry I wear water proofs.

The again I like getting filthy ducky and cycle maintenance is how I chill out. ^_^

Also you don't live in Scotland :hello:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Many would say the opposite about appearance. Would mudguards look right on those road bikes on the "Lust after"thread?;)
Yes, my lust after bike comes with them :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Horses for courses!!!!

Obviously no guards on an MTB. Also never on that sunny day road bike, but the workhorse, all weather, do-it-all bike then absolutely. Who can possibly like having the filthy road traffic mucky water thrown up in their eyes when cycling in the rain?

+1 - workbike gets guards all year - never removed in 3 years. 2 road bikes can't take them due to tight clearances, and that's the way they have stayed for 20 years.

MTB just get's splash guards for winter when it's used for ICE duties - keeps the salt out of the headset !

Also you don't live in Scotland :hello:

True enough, I haven't had to deal with persistently wet conditions for years and most of my riding today is either for sport or pleasure. I don't commute by bike everyday like I used to.

I'll step back from my opinion of totally useless and say I would have mudguards for the pub bike to avoid the lovely mud line up the back of the shirt.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
i make do with a crud catcher on the downtube and half a mudguard cable-tied under my rear rack... as long as my face and back don't get splattered, I'm not that bothered.

byegad

Legendary Member
For me riding only when it's dry you can get away without them, but if you may ride on wet roads they are worth every panny and gram they cost. One of my rides has a rear guard only the others have all three wheels fitted with guards.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Mudguards ruin the appearance of road bikes-FACT
They are the equivalent of wearing a flat cap, which seem to be en vogue amongst a certain section of society...... and have you seen these young lads with elasticated bottomed jeans and ladies slip on shoes?! ssomeone should have a word with them!

172traindriver

Legendary Member
Got them on the winter bike, and consider them essential for the preservation of the bike, kepping myself cleaner, and keeping my riding partners as friends :smile:
Haven't got them on the best summer bikes, so just yearn for our famous hot and sunny summers?

Full length with flaps on the tourer/commuter and I will be getting guards on the steel audax bike next year as well. None (even crud catchers) on the MTB and nothing on the CF RB. Depends what you are cycling for really.

Mudguards ruin the appearance of road bikes-FACT
They are the equivalent of wearing a flat cap, which seem to be en vogue amongst a certain section of society...... and have you seen these young lads with elasticated bottomed jeans and ladies slip on shoes?! ssomeone should have a word with them!

+1 on road bikes / mudguards
As for the shoes. Errr.. I've been sporting these recently:
Olympic_Classic_FiveFingers-010.jpg

Top Bottom