Music CD To SD Card... Techno-Luddites Guide Required

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Dragging this one back 'kicking & screaming into the daylight'

I've got a new car quite recently, & it has 2 SD card slots on the 'drive'(?)
One is for the Sat-Nag, & the other is for????
It's in the lower glove-box
View attachment 594369

Someone at work suggested this method to me, & yes it works for me too

I've copied maybe 20 CDs (or parts thereof) onto a 16GB card, & I'm sure it told me (when loading on here) that I still have about 10GB left

However, the curious thing is, some CDs when playing exhibit an image (album cover), others don't
Oddly it's not age related:wacko:

Tindersticks; 1995
View attachment 594373

Dixie Chicks; 2006
View attachment 594371
Does THIS help?

Plus, I called to see a friend a few days ago (the chap that let me use his Defender 90, to bring the 'BWSOW' back from the dealers)
He has a small USB that he plugged into the USB slot of my Kodiaq, that played
Something like this;
e-Tiny-Pen-Drive-U-Stick-U-Disk-flash-Memory-Stick.jpg

Daughter has 'Spotify'(spelling?), can that be used to download to a card/USB?
Or is it just for creating playlists??

Thanks, I'll try to understand it

CharlesF

Guru
On the Music OCD side:

Download Cdex cdex.mu and follow the online instructions to set up the extraction levels. For most CDs it will find all the tag info including album covers before converting to MP3, or other formats.

Where Cdex fails to obtain the tags, rip the CD and then you can step up to entering, and changing, all the tag info using, my favourite, MP3Tag.

Takes time but you can get your music collection looking all the same with all the info you need. I know, ‘cos I done that!

Drago

Legendary Member
A funny story.

An old boy I know got a new Mini. He was thoroughly disgusted that he couldn't play his cassettes, or even CDs. I had a look and as he doesnt have a smartphone I decided id load up a memory card for him.

I took his CDs home, duly fed them to my computer and then dragged the files over to the SD card, no problems. He had in the past expressed his admiration for Derek and Clive, so I also put all my Derek and Clive CD's on it for him.

I dropped it round his house, parked it on the driveway, left him with the keys and strolled home with a smug feeling on one who does good out of the kindness of their heart.

But it does not end there.

That night he was entertaining a lady friend, doubtless in the hope of being invited in for "coffee". She came to his house, and he offered to drive her to dinner in his smart new Mini. Tres trendy!

Key in the ignition, engine on, and out of the speakers comes the dulcet tones of Pete and Dud arguing and calling each other effing canutes, over and over again. Not yet having read the manual, and being in his 70s and not at the cutting edge of hi tec usage, my friend was unable to either turn down the volume or shut off the stereo, so his prospective date for the night had to endure several minutes of the coarsest, foulest language you could imagine .

He tried to feign anger when he later told me of this, but I was pithing myself laughing at his misfortune and he eventually gave in and started lsughing too.

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
A funny story.

An old boy I know got a new Mini. He was thoroughly disgusted that he couldn't play his cassettes, or even CDs. I had a look and as he doesnt have a smartphone I decided id load up a memory card for him.

I took his CDs home, duly fed them to my computer and then dragged the files over to the SD card, no problems. He had in the past expressed his admiration for Derek and Clive, so I also put all my Derek and Clive CD's on it for him.

I dropped it round his house, parked it on the driveway, left him with the keys and strolled home with a smug feeling on one who does good out of the kindness of their heart.

But it does not end there.

That night he was entertaining a lady friend, doubtless in the hope of being invited in for "coffee". She came to his house, and he offered to driver her to dinner in his smart new Mini. Tres trendy!

Key in the ignition, engine on, and out of the speakers comes the dulcet tones of Pete and Dud arguing and calling each other effing canutes, over and over again. Not yet having read the manual, and being in his 70s and not at the cutting edge of hi tec usage, my friend was unable to either turn down the volume or shut off the stereo, so his prospective date for the night had to endure several minutes of the coarsest, foulest language you could imagine .

He tried to feign anger when he later told me of this, but I was pithing myself laughing at his misfortune and he eventually gave in and started lsughing too.

Wasn't @Accy cyclist in his car was it ? ;)

fossyant

All this 'tech'. My car has a whizz bang 6 CD changer in the boot - I go the opposite way, burning MP3 to CD :laugh:

MrsF's car does the USB thingy, and that new fangled streaming stuff, same with my son's car.

fossyant

Do cars not come with a CD player when new anymore?

No. It's usually streaming now - that's in my son's car, everything ties up to your smart phone, including sat nav etc. Works out cheaper for the manufacturer, and you get upto date mapping, but you must have a smart phone !

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs Ds car doesnt even stream through a smartphone. It has its own inbuilt internet connection, and every service at the dealer gives it another boost of gigs, something like 6 or 700gb of data, which she never gets anywhere near.

fossyant

Mrs Ds car doesnt even stream through a smartphone. It has its own inbuilt internet connection, and every service at the dealer gives it another boost of gigs, something like 6 or 700gb of data, which she never gets anywhere near.

I'd expect so at that much wongas. :okay: Not just heated bottom warmers, I'd be expecting a kitchen sink (I bet there is one somewhere).:laugh:

berty bassett

Legendary Member
Used to be that you just put cd in laptop and a menu came up asking what to do
Quick Burn cd
Click what format
Click destination
Burn
Right click on new files and choose move to sd card
Been so long since done it , may be made a lot more complicated by now ! Can’t wait for windows 11 to come along and muller everything up
Also when you burn / copy you may have a little box to click to remove copyright - if you don’t click it you may save files on computer that won’t let you copy anywhere else ( from my poor poor memory)

Dowloaded a few Amazon Ultra HD tracks onto phone yesterday (there's a 4mth free deal on), 10GB used up very quickly! Can luckily add a micro SD to Samsung, but if you are stuck with 64GB internal storage?
Unlike Spotify, Amazon can't play on my streamer, so will not be keeping it.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I think this has already been answered but I'll tell you what I did with my CD collection. Put it into the computer (internet connection required) and windows media player took me through options, so I selected rip to library. It downloaded the album covers as it went. Once all CDs were copied to my library, you go into the file destination (i.e. the folder called music) and copy/paste onto a stick or SD card. Some things to look out for: on some obscure albums it couldn't find, so I had to type in the details including all the song names manually. Also, with "greatest hits" compilations, It often matches a different set of tracks to what's on your album, due to many different versions of the album being released in different regions.

I did find that the OEM stereo was not very good at selecting albums (folders). So I tended to copy a load of my favourite songs directly onto the card so you just get a "shuffle" experience rather than having to navigate through folders.

After a few years I got fed up of this, so I bought an aftermarket Stereo with Bluetooth. Much easier to do by smart phone if of course you have one.

Top Bottom