My legs are still sore

• Thread starter Deleted member 20519
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 20519

Over three months ago, I posted a thread all about how my legs were sore when I was cycling and I was linked to articles about saddle height, given tips about cadence etc. Well here I am now, three months later, with the exact same issue. I've tried stretches, I've changed my saddle height a million times and I've perfected my cadence. I was told that it would go away, it hasn't. I've tried taking days off, no luck. It's actually putting me off cycling. My legs are only sore when I'm on the bike, there's no pain after cycling. I don't know what the issue is and it's driving me crazy.

Please help me, I want to be able to get on the bike and just pedal and go somewhere nice. I get all psyched up for a ride and after 15 minutes I have to turn back because it hurts. Help me :sad:

Cyclist33

There are so many variables. Maybe it's best in your case you go for a professional fit at a good bike shop.

A couple of possibilities pop into my mind. One is that you're still growing so it could be nothing to do with cycling per se, just that you're utilising muscles that are in development. Another is that you may be over-adjusting the bike. I'm guilty of it too! You say you've changed the saddle height a million times, and whilst I realise that's an exaggeration, perhaps it would be better to set it up with a neutral and efficient position, and let your body get used to it.

Which bits of your legs are getting sore, how far back or forward along the saddle rail do you have it, what pedal system are you using, are your brake pads clear of the wheel rims etc...

Stu

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

There are so many variables. Maybe it's best in your case you go for a professional fit at a good bike shop.

A couple of possibilities pop into my mind. One is that you're still growing so it could be nothing to do with cycling per se, just that you're utilising muscles that are in development. Another is that you may be over-adjusting the bike. I'm guilty of it too! You say you've changed the saddle height a million times, and whilst I realise that's an exaggeration, perhaps it would be better to set it up with a neutral and efficient position, and let your body get used to it.

Which bits of your legs are getting sore, how far back or forward along the saddle rail do you have it, what pedal system are you using, are your brake pads clear of the wheel rims etc...

Stu

I don't think I'm over adjusting the bike. I've changed the saddle according to the bike fitting guides that I've fond online and I've stuck with it.

The bit of my legs that are sore is the bit between my ankles and my knees, it's not any specific area, it's just sore.

URL]

I've got the saddle level and far enough back according to sizing guides but also so that I'm using my sit bones, I don't experience any discomfort when I'm on the saddle.

Pedal system? Not sure what you mean by that but I'm using SPD-SL pedals + cycling shoes with cleats.

Yes, my brakes are all set up fine and I've got some new wheels which are nice and true and smooth. No issues with the bike.

Cyclist33

I'm stumped then. All I can suggest is whether the position of your cleats on the shoes is affecting your calves. I think cleats can be moved in two dimensions.

Stu

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

I'm stumped then. All I can suggest is whether the position of your cleats on the shoes is affecting your calves. I think cleats can be moved in two dimensions.

Stu

Hmm, there might be something wrong with my cleats. When I'm putting the power down, I sometimes get a 'burning' sensation in the ball of my foot.

Bill93

Ive never used cleats but surely a burning sensation cant be good. Have you tried other bikes and does it hurt on them too?

Cyclist33

Hmm, there might be something wrong with my cleats. When I'm putting the power down, I sometimes get a 'burning' sensation in the ball of my foot.

Try moving them in one or other direction a few mm at a time. It'll probably take a few rides to figure it out. Might be worth getting someone to help you by eg photographing the soles of your feet wearing regular trainers while sat on the bike, to try to find the ideal position.

Stu

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 20519

Try moving them in one or other direction a few mm at a time. It'll probably take a few rides to figure it out. Might be worth getting someone to help you by eg photographing the soles of your feet wearing regular trainers while sat on the bike, to try to find the ideal position.

Stu

I've changed them to the general direction that me feet point when they're relaxed, I don't think that has anything to do with my legs though.

Cyclist33

Well do you want advice or not??

I'm outta here.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I've changed them to the general direction that me feet point when they're relaxed, I don't think that has anything to do with my legs though.
Your lower leg has a lot to do with the movement of your foot, it could be something to do with pronation (natural roll to the foot under pressure) like shin splints in runners. Id guess it could also be the way youre pulling up on the upstroke too if youre lifting your foot upwards. Just some ideas :smile:

swede54

Take off the SPD's and put some flat pedals on. Your feet will tend to find their own "comfortable" position. If the pain goes away make a note of how your feet sit on the pedals then adjust your cleats accordingly.

Top Bottom