My puncture exploits yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
So there i was 8 miles from home when i had a visit...from the puncture fairy!!:eek: I was due one seeing as she hadn't visited for about 4000 miles. It just had to be the day when i thought i'd venture further from home than i normally do,though it could've been worse as at one point i was 20 miles from home. I heard that familiar hiss and as we do i tried to get a few more yards before it went completely flat. It wasn't all bad as i was 2 miles from a bike shop. Not my LBS,but still localish even though i knew they wouldn't put a tube in for me for £1.50 like my LBS does. When i got there i asked how much it'd be. Eight quid they told me. "Eight quid for 5 minutes work":ohmy: i replied! "It's our minimum rate for labour" the chap replied. I said i wasn't going to pay someone £8 for 5 minutes work so i walked back home. The last few miles were on the Leeds/Liverpool canal where i met 3 mountain bikers (not together and at different intervals) who were very sympathetic,but couldn't help apart from offer words of encouragement. I was short on time as it was now 4.30 and my LBS closes at 5pm,so i had to get there sharp,with 2 miles to go. I pegged it walking as fast as possible. I eventually made it at 4.57pm. The lad in the shop said he'd do it even though he was about to close up. He checked the tyre for damage and found that a little hole had appeared due to wear and tear. "Do you want a new tyre?" he asked. No i replies as i think i have a decent one at home. He said he'd give me 15 minutes to get there and back with the tyre. Again i pegged it and just made the 15 minute deadline. When he'd fitted my tube and tyre he then attempted to inflate the tube,only to find it wasn't inflating. He took the tube out to find it had holes in. Bear in mind this was supposed to be a new tube. It was wrapped and had that wire round to hold it in place,meaning it was supposed to have been like that straight from the factory. Why it had holes in i don't know,but he then said he'd fit a new tube,but if i wanted he'd give me another 15 minutes to get a tube i told him i had at home,so off i went again. When i got back he fitted this tube and low and behold it inflated! So off i went on my way with one of my old tubes and tyres fitted...all for £1.50,though i gave him a 50 tip for his extra effort and waiting time. If i'd gone ahead with the £8 tube change at the "expensive" bike shop i'd have ended up with them telling me my spare tube was knackered and my tyre was as well,so i'd have probably have paid out a tenner for a tube,40 quid for a new tyre and 20 quid for the labour...at least. So my refusal to pay £8 for a tube fitting probably saved me £68! I'd say it was a good move not paying them £8 for 5 minutes work. What do you think?

Ps...... Before anyone blasts me for not changing the tube myself,i'd like to point out that i can't change tubes successfully due to a sight problem and at the moment my right hand has lost about 50% power due to me falling asleep in a deckchair the other day with my right arm under me, which slightly cut off the blood supply.

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
To be fair I think you really should of bought the new tube from the shop as a gesture of gratitude for all he had done for you up to that point.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
To be fair I think you really should of bought the new tube from the shop as a gesture of gratitude for all he had done for you up to that point.
I did buy it from there,albeit about 2 years ago. He knew it was one of his due to the packaging. He charges £5 for tubes. I bet they're a lot more at that 8 quid minimum labour bike shop!

Edit..Yes i see what you mean. Yes i could've bought another tube,but i have tubes in tyres,tubes in boxes,tubes hanging up etc etc. He knows most of his customers operate on a budget. No point in buying another tube when i have/had about 5 here at home.

Last edited:

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
I did buy it from there,albeit about 2 years ago. He knew it was one of his due to the packaging. He charges £5 for tubes. I bet they're a lot more at that 8 quid minimum labour bike shop!

It'll still need replacing tubes always do.
I think you took the proverbial there. Different if was during opening hours but this guy stayed there for over 1/2 hour after closing for 50p.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I'd also like to point out that the "expensive" shop has always been quite expensive,but they're even more now that they're a Giant dealer.They've had a refit since i was last in. They have Giant bikes all over the place. Maybe a few other makes but not many. They used to be a large dealer in E-bikes but i only saw about 2 or three.

http://www.giant-blackburn.co.uk/gb

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Having gone for months without a puncture I've had two in two days this week, it's almost like they're cutting the hedges :cursing:

Anyway, with regards to this;
Ps...... Before anyone blasts me for not changing the tube myself,i'd like to point out that i can't change tubes successfully due to a sight problem and at the moment my right hand has lost about 50% power due to me falling asleep in a deckchair the other day with my right arm under me, which slightly cut off the blood supply.
Sort yourself out, watch this and be inspired Accy.

View: https://youtu.be/PWCDEAYn8rQ

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Perhaps the shop charges eight quid to put a new tube in because they are under the mistaken impression they are running a business, not a feckin' charity.
A fiver would've been more acceptable. He said he wasn't responsible for the charges as he 'only worked there',which is fair enough. If you think any less than £8 is doing it for charity,how come my LBS makes a decent living,but only charges £1.50 for that 5 minutes work?

Johnno260

Veteran
Every Xmas I take my LBS and their mechanic a pack of beers to say thanks, it's always appreciated and they always help if I have issues.

They aren't the cheapest, but you can't put a price on good service.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A fiver would've been more acceptable. He said he wasn't responsible for the charges as he 'only worked there',which is fair enough. If you think any less than £8 is doing it for charity,how come my LBS makes a decent living,but only charges £1.50 for that 5 minutes work?
I'll give my thoughts to my own question. You pay for the nice shop and its re-fit. Plus they add on VAT. My local LBS is a tip with stuff all over the place,but who cares. Plus i think you have to make £43,000 a year before you have to become VAT registered.

Tim Hall

I'll give my thoughts to my own question. You pay for the nice shop and its re-fit. Plus they add on VAT. My local LBS is a tip with stuff all over the place,but who cares. Plus i think you have to make £43,000 a year before you have to become VAT registered.
£85000 a year. That’s turnover not profit.

BSOh

Über Member

If that's his business model he's not making a living and will be shut by christmas

Top Bottom