My puncture exploits yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If it's the former, are you telling me that 8 pounds for 5 minutes work is acceptable? If so,maybe when i was window cleaning i should've charged £30 instead of a fiver to clean an average sized semi detached house,but then i didn't have an expensively refurbished shop to pay for so....
Or business rates, or wages, or tools to buy, or rent or a mortgage on your premises. Get real Accy, take your car in to have a puncture repaired and you're looking at fifteen or twenty quid.

And if you were charging a fiver to clean every window on the average sized house you were a prat to yourself.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
take your car in to have a puncture repaired and you're looking at fifteen or twenty quid.
15 TO 20 quid for a car puncture repair is reasonable,as it takes a bit more effort and time.

Moderators

Legendary Member
Mod note:

@Accy cyclist

Hi Accy. We wish to avoid this thread descending into acrimony. The answer that you have given in post #32 is an example of how such threads can rapidly escalate into complete chaos. A member has given their view of the situation as they see it and you are immediately challenging it.

You have posted a comprehensive OP that fully explains the situation that you encountered and that makes it immediately comprehensible to fellow members.

You have asked the question "What do you think?"

It is suggested that you just sit back and take the answers onboard rather than steering the thread into a debate.

If the thread does deteriorate (as so many of yours do) then it will be locked.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
A fiver would've been more acceptable. He said he wasn't responsible for the charges as he 'only worked there',which is fair enough. If you think any less than £8 is doing it for charity,how come my LBS makes a decent living,but only charges £1.50 for that 5 minutes work?

Because they are not making money out of fixing punctures. If you cannot fix punctures yourself then I would recommend some puncture proof tyres.

Johnno260

Veteran
Dropped into my LBS on the way home re-stocked my tubes and CO2 cans.

Bikes booked in for a service as well, also asked if anyone can purchase a shop jersey may as well be a mobile bill board haha

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
50p tip and he waited half an hour for you after closing time? That's very mean ! You should have given him a fiver and you would still have saved £3.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I'm not one to recklessly throw money around, but even I'm shocked at @Accy cyclist for the extreme degree of parsimony demonstrated here! If you are going to mess someone around for half an hour who is due to finish work for the day, the least you can do is bung them a drink for their trouble. A lot of things in life operate on goodwill, and in my experience if you give someone a drink who does you a favour it often gets repaid again twice over in the future as they will be kindly disposed next time.
A friend of mine recently collected something I'd ordered online, which saved me the cost of delivery or a special journey to pick up. It was more or less on his route to work, so the inconvenience to him was pretty minimal, but that isn't the point. A favour is still a favour. When I popped over the other day to square up some money he was due, I gave him a drink on top of what was owing for his trouble. It's not going to buy much, but if someone does you a good turn its only right to show your appreciation. It works both ways; I previously did a car repair welding job for same friend as a favour - no payment expected or asked for. After it was done we got cleaned up and went down the local for some much-needed refreshment. He insisted on paying for my grub and beer.

Last edited:

Lonestar

Veteran
Actually on my last local LBS trip where the bloke didn't take the p155 but couldn't remove the forks from the frame...Instead cutting off the stem (eventually),I felt sorry for him (one man band job) and tipped him a tenner...Not the sort of job I'd like to do.I have enough trouble maintaining my own bikes....With other LBS's who I think have taken the p155 I just generally avoid in future.

A 50p tip :ohmy:

You could buy a house in Accy for not much more :tongue:

Lucky sod,you could probably buy a broom cupboard in Loondon for a million smackers.:wacko:

Last edited:
Top Bottom