My puncture exploits yesterday

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alicat

Legendary Member
Your LBS sounds wonderful, @Accy cyclist. Service way over and above the call of duty.

nonowt

Über Member
from here in London, where the streets are paved with gold and broken glass, 8 quid seems reasonable. The going rate tends to be between 10-15 quid (including a new tube). Now 15 is steep but I don't begrudge paying a tenner. As you're not just paying for the 10 minutes work + new tube. If the shop is busy, the mechanic may have to stop what they're doing to sort you out delaying what there working on. If the shop isn't busy they need to make a little bit of profit to cover such times when there's not much work on so that it's still there next time you need it. Niggly little jobs like punctures can be the bread and butter of a bike shop.

I can see why your LBS might do it for you so cheaply, as they know you and I guess you'll be good for more custom. Most peoples LBS will do them favours knowing they're regulars (mine sometime receive my ebay parcels). ...But I can't help but think you're taking the mick getting them to fit your own tube and tyre. I wouldn't take my own beer to the pub and offer them 50p to borrow a glass.

nonowt

Über Member
Groupsets, wheels, jerseys, that type of thing?

nah, I get those delivered to work! ;) ...It's usually a broken down old bikes that I'm convinced I should rescue only for it to quickly prove beyond my capacities' and end up back at the LBS having a new BB fitted or stuck seat-posts removed. Everyone's happy.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Every time I read one of the many threads about yet another long standing LBS going bust I wonder if those people who think shops can repair their bikes for less than the price of a cup of coffee ever put two and two together?
It's retail in general Smokin, I've spoken to enough people that bemoan the desolation of the high street then go on to tell me what a great deal they think had on line to know that it's pretty common place. Do the maths, it's really not that difficult to work out.

Johnno260

Veteran
Every time I read one of the many threads about yet another long standing LBS going bust I wonder if those people who think shops can repair their bikes for less than the price of a cup of coffee ever put two and two together?

For sure mine do stuff for free I try and offer something but usually get told no it's ok, but saying that I also purchase most of my parts via them, they aren't cheap and sure online is cheaper but I want the shop to remain so support it whenever I need something.

My bike I could've gotten a Ride 500 for the price I paid for my Ride 400 but I wanted to support a local business.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
For sure mine do stuff for free I try and offer something but usually get told no it's ok, but saying that I also purchase most of my parts via them, they aren't cheap and sure online is cheaper but I want the shop to remain so support it whenever I need something.

My bike I could've gotten a Ride 500 for the price I paid for my Ride 400 but I wanted to support a local business.

Same here, I buy most of my bits online but also have a good relationship with a few shops who will offer advice and small tweaks gratis on the spot. I will usually buy a tube from them on them days and occasionally pop in with a box of cakes etc..
With 5 bikes I owe it to myself to do the basics myself, I've never tackled a BB or headset though but will in time.
I have been dissapointed by two shops as well, once I popped in when my rear disc suddenly started making a grinding noise mid ride 3o miles from home, I went in for some advice and the guy looked down through the caliper and said I needed a new set of pads. £15 fitted, During fitting he took the old ones out and put them aside, I picked them up and had a look, plenty of meat on them. Got home and put them back in and kept the new pair as spares. Should have said something but didn't feel like it on the day. Last they'll see of me.
Also, whilst getting brave and trying to fit an internally routed rear gear cable I just couldn't so took the parts to another shop for fitting. £26, just for labour. I'd even said I'd never normally do this as I would get the parts from the shop but I already had them and they didn't do my preferred outer. I said, "£26, that wouldn't be much different if I'd paid for the parts too"
Guy said, "probably not".
Cue me not going there again. I like to play fair but it has to work both ways.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Blimey! I thought at first that this was a wind up! If cyclists in the OPs area have got a reputation for being tight arses I wouldn't be surprised. Don't want to be rude, but, if it was my shop, I would have told you to piss off!
Which shop are you imagining yourself to own. The Giant dealer or my LBS?
If it's the former, are you telling me that 8 pounds for 5 minutes work is acceptable? If so,maybe when i was window cleaning i should've charged £30 instead of a fiver to clean an average sized semi detached house,but then i didn't have an expensively refurbished shop to pay for so....

Last edited:
Top Bottom