My town is (in)famous for....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Winchester does quite well in the fame stakes, but for infamy look no further than Twyford Down

3178280_6b41ff01.jpg
Yeah but Hockley Lights on a Bank Holiday! Used to be able to see the queues from Olly B's.

matiz

Guru
Wolves famous for Slade,Suzie Perry,Hugh porter ,Sunbeam and villiers motorcycles

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Actually Earls Barton which is to the west
Thanks for the clue. Here's a bit more about the story.
http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/the-real-story-behind-those-kinky-boots-1-881352

Globalti

Legendary Member
Blackburn, Lancashire: Four thousand holes in it.....

(Oh.... just spotted the post above!)

Bury, where I work: Black pudding and Lusso cycle clothing, actually manufactured 100 yards from my office.

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
Deal, Kent

Julius Cesar landed here in 54BC.

Mentioned numerous times in the Doomsday book.

It's got 3 castles one being the last remaining Tudor Rose castle.

The actor Charles Hawtry from the Carry on Films lived here until he died as did Norman Wisdom.

Numerous authors live here such as Francis Fyfeild, William Horwood, Mark Billingham and author and TV political correspondant Gavin Esler.

Being 22 miles from France allowed the town to become one of the biggest smugglers havens along the British coastline ( probably still is ) and many of the houses in the town retain tunnels built under them used by the smugglers in the 17th and 18th century.The smugglers kept the pubs of the town, of which there were in the region of 150, in business. There are still around 70 pubs in the area today.

In September 1989 the IRA bombed part of the Royal Marines barracks here and 11 marines were murdered.:sad:

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
My town was founded in the early 6th century by a Saxon leader named Waendel and was named 'Wendelingburgh', now known as Wellingborough.[4] The town is surrounded by five wells: Red Well, Hemming Well, Witche's Well, Lady's Well and Whyte Well, which appear on its coat of arms .

Top Bottom