My town is (in)famous for....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cheddar George

oober member
Famous for...

Jill Dando and John Cleese.

Infamous for...

Our Grand Pier, which burned down a few years ago, but to my understanding has been rebuilt.

Jeffrey Archer (a not so grand peer).

Roald Dahl was at school in Weston and hated every minute of it.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
He might support NCFC but he's West Norfolk, isn't he?

I'm surprised no one's yet mentioned Northampton's former mouth of hell.
Went to school in Norwich though, Cawston and City College. Lived in Booton, which is near Reepham. We cycle there all the time so reckon that it's near enough

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Famous for---
Battle of Barnet
Part of the Wars of the Roses
256px-MS_Ghent_-_Battle_of_Barnet_retouched.jpg
Late 15th-century artistic portrayal of the battle: Edward IV (left), wearing a circlet and mounted on a horse, leads the Yorkist charge and pierces the Earl of Warwick (right) with his lance; in reality, Warwick was not killed by Edward.
Date 14 April 1471
Location North of Barnet, England
Result Yorkist victory
Belligerents
20px-Yorkshire_rose.svg.png House of York 20px-Lancashire_rose.svg.png House of Lancaster
Commanders and leaders
20px-Royal_Arms_of_England_%281399-1603%29.svg.png Edward IV
20px-Arms_of_Richard%2C_1st_Duke_of_Gloucester.svg.png Richard, Duke of Gloucester
20px-Coat_of_Arms_of_Sir_William_Hastings%2C_1st_Baron_Hastings%2C_KG.png William, Lord Hastings 20px-Neville_Warwick_Arms.svg.png Richard Neville, Earl of Warwick
20px-Neville.svg.png John Neville, Marquess of Montagu
20px-Arms_of_John_Holland%2C_2nd_Duke_of_Exeter.svg.png Henry Holland, Duke of Exeter
20px-Coat_of_arms_of_Sir_John_de_Vere%2C_13th_Earl_of_Oxford.png John de Vere, Earl of Oxford

Also Barnet horse fair. Giving rise to the saying--"going to get my barnet cut".

Reactions: GM
U

User169

Very bizzarely i found one his books on the train on Tuesday which looked very new and which is now sitting on my pile of books to read. I have never read any of his books and this one "Shadows on the Grass " is about cricket of which my own knowledge could be written on a postage stamp. However i have promised a friend to go and watch the local team play at the club at the bottom of my road this weekend so perhaps i will take the book in the vain hope i main learn something about the game.

The filthiest book about cricket as E.W. Swanson put it!

I read it last week - some real laugh out loud moments.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Building HMS Victory
The Desk of the US President (The Resolute Desk)
Charles Dickens
Will Adams (the first Westerner to visit Japan)
The birthplace of Kelly Brook
The birthplace of the Chav
Hmm, beaten to it.
Chatham Ladies
with the Chav, also birthplace of the diamante clown
Marconi Avionics (now Selex apparently)
Shorts seaplanes (closed, now mud side apartments)
Chatham Dockyard (closed, now a tourist attraction)
Jezreel's Tower

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
:giggle:
Prescott was a blow in from Hull, so he doesn't count!

Is that meant to make it any better? :whistle::giggle:

U

User482

Bristol's a bit too easy so I'll go with where I grew up, Ramsbottom:

1. The Grant brothers once hosted Charles Dickens (at what is now the Grant's arms in the middle of the town) and were said to be the inspiration for the Cheeryble brothers in Nicholas Nickleby.
2. Howard Donald, member of Take That, used to live there, mostly under siege from the girls at my school.
3. Past players for the cricket club include Ian Chappell and Michael Clarke - former and current Australian test captains.
4. The town hosts the black pudding throwing world championship, with the aim being to knock over Yorkshire puddings.

Jayaly

We have the Leavesden Studios. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warner_Bros._Studios,_Leavesden. Used for filming Bond films and Harry Potter among other things, and notable to me for making an awful lot of noise from a wind machine in the middle of the night one weekend without warning local residents. I cycle past an outdoor set which looks a bit like a cliff face at the moment and there is assorted Potterish stuff visible from the road.

Top Bottom