Nearly got punched by a cyclist!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Grrrr....still steaming!!! ;) Was walking up the hill to work this morning about 10.30, the way down is a one way street with several lanes, traffic was really busy, so going down the hill quite slowly. A middle-aged guy on a bike with a shopping bag hanging off the handlebars was coming down the hill on an old road bike, stuck behind a very slow lorry. I looked at his bike as he rode past, carried on walked, but noticed that he suddenly went on to the pavement. I thought he had just done it to get past the lorry and avoid the lights further down, but then he shouted "Come here a second!", so I turned, thinking he might need directions or something like that (although someone with a shopping bag is likely to be local), but no, instead he grabbed me by the front of my coat, raised his fist in the air next to my head and started shouting "What did you just say to me?", I was so perplexed that all I could come out with was "Sorry???", he carried on pulling my coat with his face right up to mine and started again "What did you just say to me? If you've got anything to say, then say it to my fxxcking face!" I was completely stunned and just came out with a rather feeble "I didn't say anything, I was just looking at your bike!". At which point he shook his fist a bit more, shouted again that I should say whatever I had to say to his face, he then muttered something under his breath, but finally let go off my coat, got back on his bike and rode off! How weird is that? I really thought he was going to punch me...was quite scary at the time! :biggrin:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
punkypossum said:
Grrrr....still steaming!!! ;) Was walking up the hill to work this morning about 10.30, the way down is a one way street with several lanes, traffic was really busy, so going down the hill quite slowly. A middle-aged guy on a bike with a shopping bag hanging off the handlebars was coming down the hill on an old road bike, stuck behind a very slow lorry. I looked at his bike as he rode past, carried on walked, but noticed that he suddenly went on to the pavement. I thought he had just done it to get past the lorry and avoid the lights further down, but then he shouted "Come here a second!", so I turned, thinking he might need directions or something like that (although someone with a shopping bag is likely to be local), but no, instead he grabbed me by the front of my coat, raised his fist in the air next to my head and started shouting "What did you just say to me?", I was so perplexed that all I could come out with was "Sorry???", he carried on pulling my coat with his face right up to mine and started again "What did you just say to me? If you've got anything to say, then say it to my fxxcking face!" I was completely stunned and just came out with a rather feeble "I didn't say anything, I was just looking at your bike!". At which point he shook his fist a bit more, shouted again that I should say whatever I had to say to his face, he then muttered something under his breath, but finally let go off my coat, got back on his bike and rode off! How weird is that? I really thought he was going to punch me...was quite scary at the time! :biggrin:

There are nutters about.

Alexei Sayle incorporated the mutterings of a nutter in his song
'Hello John Got a New Motor?'

Apprently the line 'Didn't you kill my brother?' was uttered by a nutter who confronted him on the tube in London.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
There are some nutters about. I often see one of the local strange people on a bike shouting at cars going past, people walking past and just about anything else that comes into his head.

Maz

Guru
This guy's a mentalist. Was he wearing carpet slippers and a hospital wristband?!

Hope you're feeling better, p'possum.

LLB

I'd say if it were on camera, it would make a convincing case for assault. Sounds a bit unhinged, and even more so for picking on a woman ;)

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
OT
Jacomus just clocked your new signature LOL!!

T x

domtyler

Über Member
Jacomus-rides-Gen said:
Erm, I don't want to detract from this thread punky, so I might actually take this elsewhere, but why is it made worse because punky is a woman?

Jacomus, women and children are, generally speaking, less physically strong than men. For a grown man to threaten to punch a woman in the face is what is known as bullying as the stronger person is attacking a much weaker person. PM me if you need further clarification as to why this is less acceptable than one grown man attacking another grown man.

Brock

Just the usual cyclist > pedestrian behaviour that we're all prone to now and then, it's the same force that induces white van drivers to have a go at cyclists... The pecking order of the road that's all. If you'd been on a segway he'd have thought twice.

domtyler said:
Jacomus, women and children are, generally speaking, less physically strong than men. For a grown man to threaten to punch a woman in the face is what is known as bullying as the stronger person is attacking a much weaker person. PM me if you need further clarification as to why this is less acceptable than one grown man attacking another grown man.

Well I am fully aware of the strength issue, but bullys generally size up their victims carefully to ensure they have the upper hand. If he had done that to me I'm sure I would have been every bit as scared as punky (though I might have stuck him in an armlock and forced him to apologise for being such a c*ck).

Just because I'm a man doesn't mean I'm any less vulnerable than a woman.

Threatening to punch anyone in the face is bullying.

If he had punched punky in the face, it would probably have had the same effect as punching you or me in the face (unless you box/ regularly get unched in the face). I personally think there is too much emphasis on physical strengh, and not enough on what would actually happen.

Brock

Yes, such a threatening chavvy scumbag act is wrong, if he'd done the same to Hulk Hogan it would still be wrong, absolutely.

yenrod

In amongst our wonderfull society their is a new law which un-written its vbh = verbal/visual bodily harm..

I kid you not.

You have witnessed it 1st hand.

I'm not against you at all much in your favour - obviously the innocent party by any means !

punkypossum said:
Grrrr....still steaming!!! ;) Was walking up the hill to work this morning about 10.30, the way down is a one way street with several lanes, traffic was really busy, so going down the hill quite slowly. A middle-aged guy on a bike with a shopping bag hanging off the handlebars was coming down the hill on an old road bike, stuck behind a very slow lorry. I looked at his bike as he rode past, carried on walked, but noticed that he suddenly went on to the pavement. I thought he had just done it to get past the lorry and avoid the lights further down, but then he shouted "Come here a second!", so I turned, thinking he might need directions or something like that (although someone with a shopping bag is likely to be local), but no, instead he grabbed me by the front of my coat, raised his fist in the air next to my head and started shouting "What did you just say to me?", I was so perplexed that all I could come out with was "Sorry???", he carried on pulling my coat with his face right up to mine and started again "What did you just say to me? If you've got anything to say, then say it to my fxxcking face!" I was completely stunned and just came out with a rather feeble "I didn't say anything, I was just looking at your bike!". At which point he shook his fist a bit more, shouted again that I should say whatever I had to say to his face, he then muttered something under his breath, but finally let go off my coat, got back on his bike and rode off! How weird is that? I really thought he was going to punch me...was quite scary at the time! :tongue:

Top Bottom