New take on a near thing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domus

Guru
Never had one of these before.
I went over a small crest about 100 metres before my right turn to mum's care home, checked my mirror, all clear, moved to right and signalled a right turn, just as I was about to turn a MINI overtook me on my right.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I had that in the mid-80s on the A34 south of Newbury. It's scary but reinforces the need for that last "lifesaver" glance.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Mirror signal manoeuvre, then check it's all clear again.
Then check again for idiots...
Edit: Car?

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
On the crest is a mini roundabout and the road narrows and has a slight bend to the right with parked cars on the left. It funnels you to the centre/right but I ALWAYS check my mirror there because cars come over the crest and move right. It was clear behind but I signalled my intentions as there were pedestrians waiting to cross, my arm was out for a good few seconds before she overtook. No idea how to put an image from Google maps but it is Botany Brow Chorley.

Drago

Legendary Member
And that is why we check again before finally executing the manoeuvre - bike mirrors are fine for a quick glance, but the field of view is too narrow to capture someone offset from your line trying to overtake. Look over ones shoulder, and look to the left when turning left because plenty of 2 wheeled fools pull the same trick.

D

Deleted member 26715

With all due respect if you are relying on your mirrors you're going to regret it one day, that is if you are able to, always, ALWAYS do a Lifesaver check over your right shoulder

D

Deleted member 1258

Getting overtaken whilst turning right is common here, they'll even try and overtake when you're half way through the turn.

Venod

Eh up
I have had this on a couple of times its very scary what some motorist will do, I always shoulder check, and if I think the traffic is heavy or speeding I will pull up on the left until its safer to proceed but on the occasions this has happened I have judged there is enough time to signal and move over, on the occasions the cars have passed I still had my arm out, I can only imagine they think they have seen where I am going to turn and believe its OK to pass before I get to the turning, but how do they know where I might turn ? I may just be going to the kerb at the other side of the road, very bad driving.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There are so many unlicensed and untrained drivers on the loose that they may not know you should pass a right-turning vehicle on the inside. It's common sense but that is also in short supply.

Top Bottom