New take on a near thing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

Slightly OT but my son only mentioned at the weekend how many more kids/yoof's you see these days riding crossers down the road with no helmet, plates, presumably no insurance & looking at their age not license.

Katherine

Guru
It has happened to me a few times @Domus. I've looked over my shoulder, put my right arm out, moved over to the central line. Then I've been overtaken by a driver, too close and too fast. Not a pleasant experience. Once, I'd stopped in the middle, waiting for a gap in the traffic, was just starting to make the turn when a driver passed me on the right when there was plenty of room on my left.
Now I avoid those particular junctions, preferring to keep going to a junction with traffic lights.

C R

Guru
@Domus, I have had it a couple of times, just keep your wits about you, not much else you can do. It is infuriating having to continually compensate for the ineptitude of other road users. If at least there was a chance of them being caught and punished maybe they would think twice.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I've had this on three or four occasions and the pillocks overtaking haven't had the excuse of restricted visibility either - they simply thought: Cyclist ahead. Must. Get. Past. :cursing:

On a related note: An opinion piece in the local paper annoyed me a few days ago. I usually avoid reading it on principle knowing the that regular incumbent is an anti-cycling troll (among other faults) but a passage caught my eye as someone had written to him bemoaning the fact they'd received an advisory letter, which ruined their "unblemished 54 year driving record", due to close-passing a cyclist. Cue moaning about "why don't the police catch proper criminals" and "motorist-hating cyclists with cameras" then it finishes by saying that the correspondent recalled the incident and it was clearly the cyclist's fault because they were turning right.
facepalm.gif
So many things wrong with that article.:headshake:

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I've had this on three or four occasions and the pillocks overtaking haven't had the excuse of restricted visibility either - they simply thought: Cyclist ahead. Must. Get. Past. :cursing:

On a related note: An opinion piece in the local paper annoyed me a few days ago. I usually avoid reading it on principle knowing the that regular incumbent is an anti-cycling troll (among other faults) but a passage caught my eye as someone had written to him bemoaning the fact they'd received an advisory letter, which ruined their "unblemished 54 year driving record", due to close-passing a cyclist. Cue moaning about why don't the police catch proper criminals and motorist-hating cyclists with cameras then it finishes by saying that the correspondent recalled the incident and it was clearly the cyclist's fault because they were turning right. View attachment 436212 So many things wrong with that article.:headshake:

Hhmm, I'll close pass a cyclist when I know they might have a camera. Sh1t for brains comes to mind.

C R

Guru

On a related note: An opinion piece in the local paper annoyed me a few days ago. I usually avoid reading it on principle knowing the that regular incumbent is an anti-cycling troll (among other faults) but a passage caught my eye as someone had written to him bemoaning the fact they'd received an advisory letter, which ruined their "unblemished 54 year driving record", due to close-passing a cyclist. Cue moaning about why don't the police catch proper criminals and motorist-hating cyclists with cameras then it finishes by saying that the correspondent recalled the incident and it was clearly the cyclist's fault because they were turning right. View attachment 436212 So many things wrong with that article.:headshake:

The unblemished record only means they had never been caught, called out in their bad driving before, not that they are a good driver.

OP
OP
Domus

Domus

Guru
It's obviously more common than I thought, I use my mirror a lot because my 64 year old neck and shoulders are not as flexible as they once were. I do give a shoulder glance but the mirror gives me a better idea as to what is going on behind.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
It must be this thread! A stupid woman in a Ford B-Max overtook me today when I was signalling right.

Johnno260

Veteran

Just turn left problem solved......

I got squeezed by an Audi last Friday, he then did the same to the cyclist in front of me, then left hooked the guy, who somehow avoided a collision.

To say the guy in front was mad was an understatement, he caught up with the Audi who had to stop for someone turning right, cyclist went up the inside and removed his wing mirror, he must've broken his hand..

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Just turn left problem solved......

I got squeezed by an Audi last Friday, he then did the same to the cyclist in front of me, then left hooked the guy, who somehow avoided a collision.

To say the guy in front was mad was an understatement, he caught up with the Audi who had to stop for someone turning right, cyclist went up the inside and removed his wing mirror, he must've broken his hand..

About 3 minutes onward.

Happens to me every few months at the turn off to my work place. Being overtaken whilst indicating and imminently turning is one of my pet peeves. It's usually followers by an internal rant dialogue where I start fantasising the vigilante justice I would dish out on the scoundrel should I ever meet them in person.

Its incredibly reckless and selfish driving and should be punishable with licence confiscation and/or car crushing.

Top Bottom