New to CycleChat? Make your first post here and say HELLO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julieeiluj

Hello,

So you've signed-up, got your user account, now all you need to do is get posting .... ah, um, er, What do I say?

Well, it's dead easy - just say Hello and tell us a little bit about yourself and whereabouts you're from (so we can invite you along to rides!!)

Believe me, once you get that first post under your belt you'll be off!

My name's Shaun by the way, and I own and operate CycleChat.

If you need any help or advice on using the forums, or want to ask a question but don't want to do it publicly - just send me a PM (private message).

Hope you enjoy, and welcome to CycleChat

Cheers,
Shaun :smile:
Hello don't know how to do this

BaugherC

Hello,

My name is Chris and I am new. Nice to meet you all.

A.Z.KOETSIER

Hello Shaun & the rest of the community.

My names Arun, Born in the Netherlands Raised in South Africa and Working in the Channel Islands.

me in summary
ROUBIAX > THE TOUR

butlerabrown

Hey Shaun 'n'co. thanks for the accept. Hi everyone else... based i pewsey, and werk norf of guildford.
Inveterate cheepskate who firmly overdoes the n+1 plus another school of almost anything....
...yep! a HOARDER. Hate the price of "new", love trying to sort out "used" and/or cast-offs.. did i say i'm cheap??
Vould explain the pile o' bso's i seem to have...

Hankydoodle

Regular
Hello, Newbie here from Bristol. I joined this site hoping to pick up some tips on doing the End to End tour which I am hoping to do in the summer.

ConorD

Hello,
Thanks for the welcome Shaun, My cycling these days is merely to work (10 minutes). I have an old Olmo that I used to race years ago and want to rechrome / restore.
Best Regards,
ConorD

Neilsmith

Hi I'm Neil

Started cycling about 18 months ago with an electric bike due to a health issue that made me think I wouldn't get over the South Wales hills here on a unassisted bike. I quickly realised I was fitter than I thought and bought an old Mtb to try, and quickly progressed to a road bike in Feb this year.

I have become quite obsessed with cycling with the encouragement of a neighbour and one of my work mates who races for his club in Cardiff. I have just started trying out mountain biking trails over the last 6 weeks with a new bike I purchased while on holiday. Sadly I'm injured at present and stuck indoors on a new trainer ( started today ) trying to recuperate so I can get back out on my bikes.

Hello everyone.

Neil

Gatters

Hello all, by way of introduction, I'm 70, an ex-pat 'scouser' living in South Devon and due to a bone disease ('Pagets') in my spine, haven't turned a pedal in passion for 31 years. However, turn the clock back 55 years to 1958, when I became the proud owner of a newly hand built 'Jim Soens' frame, with Campagnolo, Mafac, Stronglight, etc, the best equipment money could buy then, after 2 years of am/pm paper rounds @ 10/- a week and a Saturday job at 17/6 for the day, all in old money of course. I think the whole thing cost about 25 quid at the time. Jim Soens, one of the best respected frame builders in the north west, was the uncle of Bill Soens, who is currently a contributor to another thread on this forum. Myself and my mates racked up about 250+ miles a week 'training' and most holidays were spent on YH tours of N.Wales, the Lakes and the Peak district. In 1959, my mate (who later became head honcho of NZ cycling) and I did a Liverpool to Lands End and back 'tour' in 10 days. Averaging about 85 miles a day wasn't bad, aged 16. We dabbled with a few evening '10s' and '25s' but the discovery of wimmin and beer curtailed our dreams of following our heroes over to France.

F.Fwd 54 years and after coaching (and funding) my son to several world triathlon championships representing GB, and keeping in touch with the best sport in the world (from an enforced distance) I decided to start a 'classic' rebuild project. I was completely unable to track down a suitable 'Jim Soens' frame, but 6 months ago I was lucky enough to acquire a beautiful 1947 'Hobbs of Barbican' Criterium model frame, in fantastic condition for its age. Since then I have slowly been acquiring as much period correct (ish) equipment for the rebuild. It's been a slow but engrossing process. The frame is now in the process of being resprayed and will hopefully be back for me to commence the rebuild late in January.

Apologies if this reads a bit like pretentious, self indulgent claptrap, but for those who are interested I will start posting a series of pics of the project so far as soon as I clear the forum induction 'process'.

Seasons greetings to everyone.
Ahh there you are and where's those pictures?

Funny I was reading your intro and it could well have been mine too...though sometime later

Goldwolfie

Veteran
Hi there,

This is my first post on one of these forum 'thingys', but with less than a year to go before i collect my OAP, I thought about getting into this new stuff.

I'm from Chesterfield, Derbyshire and suffer from too many hills around the Peak District, and also a daily commute to the railway station for work.

Looking forward to getting involved.

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: mjr

lucksmith

Hi all!

I started commuting by bike earlier this year and it wasn't anywhere near as much fuss as I'd thought it might be. Since then I've changed job and travel a little further, as well as using my bike as a general means of transport (bus pass was cancelled months back).

I've got an old 3 speed Sprick (I think?) and badly need to learn about bicycle maintenance. I'm going to sign up for a Transport for Greater Manchester course in the next week or two, so Hopefully that'll be a start.

I quite like the idea of going on long rides but I'm always a little worried that I'll get stranded somewhere.

That's about that.

Cheers

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Hi all!

I started commuting by bike earlier this year and it wasn't anywhere near as much fuss as I'd thought it might be. Since then I've changed job and travel a little further, as well as using my bike as a general means of transport (bus pass was cancelled months back).

I've got an old 3 speed Sprick (I think?) and badly need to learn about bicycle maintenance. I'm going to sign up for a Transport for Greater Manchester course in the next week or two, so Hopefully that'll be a start.

I quite like the idea of going on long rides but I'm always a little worried that I'll get stranded somewhere.

That's about that.

Cheers
Hi and :welcome:

Even seasoned riders can sometimes worry about getting stranded somewhere, but with a small selection of tools and some maintenance training to back you up you'll find ride-ending failures are pretty uncommon really.

I hope you'll enjoy the course and if you fancy writing a bit about what it's like in the Beginners section I'm sure it would interest a few people.:okay:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom