New to CycleChat? Make your first post here and say HELLO :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RamirezAGC

Hello all, been lurking for while and you seem like a friendly lot so thought I'd officially join the forum.
Got back into cycling over the last couple of years and just bought my first racing ..... err sorry 'road' bike (that's how old I am) so expect some typical newbie questions in the near future.
Currently can be seen struggling around the local environs of Basingstoke so if you see some old geezer on a red road bike struggling to get up a hill be kind to him as it may be me!
:bicycle:
Hi there, I'm also a Basingstok'ean, a new cyclist and new member, in fact I've not even done my hello post yet (next job after this) , so if anyone sees a middle aged guy and a bright green CAAD8 trying to catch the guy on the red bike, that's probably me ^_^

RamirezAGC

So hello one and all,
As my earlier post said, I'm also a newbie, living in Basingstoke and needing to get fit. I bought my CAAD8 towards the end of last year with thoughts of getting a bit of weight dropped off, reigniting my love of cycling and enhancing my fitness. However through some masterful procrastination, not much happened (well I was on holiday and then I had work being done on the house so I was living in a hotel for 6 weeks and then the weather wasn't right and I'd had a bad week and it was wet, etc. etc. etc. you get the idea). This resulted in me managing a grand total of 40 miles across 6 or 7 rides. Not great. Oh and did I mention I've also signed up for the London Revolution in May so that's 185 miles over two days? So here we are in 2016 and I have 18 weeks to do everything I was meant to do last year and prepare for the Revolution event.... Times a ticking and its given me the kick up the posterior to do something about it. I found this site from buying a Bkool Pro trainer and wanting to find a forum for like minded people who had the same trainer.

I have to say that from being a forum stalker, I'm impressed with the level of support and friendliness I've seen so far and therefore I've joined up to say Hi and also to join in the CycleChat leagues on Bkool. If anything it'll give everyone else something to laugh at when I'm flapping about at the back of the leader boards.

Here's to initially the next 18 weeks and finally doing everything I've been putting off for 4 months.:cheers:

Dr Gradus

Occasional (as in weekly rather than daily) Brompton H6 rider; I find when I have a gig in town (I'm a violinist) the T bag will hold everything I need! I also have a 20-year-old Giant ATB, rather heavy by modern standards and since I got the B it hasn't come off the wall that often.

Looking forward to getting to know all you friendly people.

GinaC

Hi, My name is Gina and I am based in Essex. Riding my winter Allez at the moment but looking forward to getting the Venge out when the weather gets a little better. Am addicted to cycling and Strava. I would like to get into ultra cycling and have some 24 hour events booked in this year :smile: Aiming to do 15000 miles this year - did 11000 last year so I think its achievable ..... I would like to join the Bkool leagues to take part in a bit of winter training.
Looking forward to meeting fellow addicts ;)

jonyjony

Hello everyone ....my name is John and i now live in Oulton Broad , Suffolk after many years living i France . I took up cycling rather late in life ,some 15 years ago at the age of 55 after buying a very cheapo bike 75 euros (new ) . I was amazed that it withstood the beating it got from riding on tracks / beaches and forest tracks , well anywhere really that was not tarmaced . After a few months i thought " Hmmm i like this " so decided to challenge myself and cycle the 300 klm Canal Du Midi route ....after which i thought " Hmmm i like this even more " .
I read one day about the St Jacques De Compostelle pilgrimage route from southern France to Santiago de Compostelle in Spain , some 800 klms ,so decided to tackle that . After some preparation , physical..mental and equipment wise, i set off ( still on this 75 Euro bike ) . I completed this rather hilly route in 12 days , vowed never to put bum on a saddle again , left my bike ( which never had so much as a puncture ) in Santiago and came home . A few months went by, my bum got better and so i decided to splash out on a more expensive bike , got permission from my wife to withdraw the 125 euros ( less than she spends on shoes each year ) but grateful anyway . I have now ridden over 6000 klms on this bike ( Nakamura cliffhanger ) and i feel i have at least one more good ride in me ,so, and the reason for this long winded post is ...i will be doing the St Jacques de Composelle route again in March this year and am wondering if anyone would like to join me on this wonderful ride . I will be driving down from Suffolk to St Jean Pied de Port in France , leave the car , cycle the route ( about 12 days ) catch the bus back to St Jean PP , then drive home . I have all the info regarding accommodation , route ,costs etc etc to answer any questions ......P S...Just to.say ,i am not a good cyclist and only cover between 50 and 70 Klms per day with lots of rest stops....but i do like cycling ......Regards...John:bicycle:

Last edited:

Chris-1066

Hello,

So you've signed-up, got your user account, now all you need to do is get posting .... ah, um, er, What do I say?

Well, it's dead easy - just say Hello and tell us a little bit about yourself and whereabouts you're from (so we can invite you along to rides!!)

Believe me, once you get that first post under your belt you'll be off!

My name's Shaun by the way, and I own and operate CycleChat.

If you need any help or advice on using the forums, or want to ask a question but don't want to do it publicly - just send me a PM (private message).

Hope you enjoy, and welcome to CycleChat

Cheers,
Shaun :smile:
Hello Shaun
Thanks for the welcome - will add posts as and when.
Kind regards
Chris

wonderloaf

Veteran
Hi there, I'm also a Basingstok'ean, a new cyclist and new member, in fact I've not even done my hello post yet (next job after this) , so if anyone sees a middle aged guy and a bright green CAAD8 trying to catch the guy on the red bike, that's probably me ^_^
^_^ see you around Basingstoke sometime then, shouldn't be difficult to spot you on a green CAAD8!

FireMedic13

Hi All! New to the forums here... I am 43 and began cycling this year after years of doing not quite enough to stay in shape and no longer able to face the fact that I was too fat for my own good. ...so I purchased and old bike to see if I would like riding again after 16 years out of the saddle and I guess I'm hooked! I live in the northeast US and we get a lot of snow so I am spending my winter inside on the trainer. I have a goal of 6,000miles this year so we will see where this year takes me. I have a Wahoo Kickr and have been using TrainerRoad working on a traditional base program at this time. I have used Zwift a few times and just signed up for Bkool to check that out. Thats all for now I guess - time for bed I have a 2hr trainer ride in the morning.

Hi, an old aged newbie dipping his toe into cycling, how the cycling world has changed so I am looking forward to exploring the site and attempting to avoid many of the pitfalls and mistakes that glossy appealing adverts can lead you to make. The first question must circulate around wether a 71 year old can, after a triple by pass last october take up cycling. Am I just an optimist, or does chuggng around the hi-ways and canals remain a dream or should realism take over.

2IT

Everything and everyone suffers in comparisons.
Hello from Northeast Georgia where it can be pretty hilly compared to flat lands in northern Ohio where I grew up.

Like to read, research and gain experience. Interested in tweaking this or that on my ride for the sake of getting a better result. Also enjoy swimming and running as there is a lot to improve on my swim and want to hang on to that ability to run. Train for triathlons; yet, I rarely race them.

Rode in school and still get a thrill riding with better riders or doing seconds better on one of my standard courses. Cycling makes me feel as rich as driving a convertible with the top down on a nice day. Grateful that I can still ride. Love the bike aspect of cycling much like motorists like their cars. My first really good bike was a Bevilacqua.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom