Nice HGV driver - doesn't see car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
StuartG said:
But it comes back to the regulators - allowing designs with significant blind spots anywhere should be a no-no.

Yes, that's true enough. In my last job I drove a Renault Magnum which, while a very tall cab, had a windscreen the size of a football pitch. I could see far more in front of me than I've been able to in other cabs. The modern DAFs have a blind spot mirror above the windsccreen, which is a step in the right direction, but I don't understand why more manufacturers haven't adopted some of the ideas Renault introduced in the Magnum.

StuartG

slower but further
So Rhythm Thief - which truck models should we cyclists be especially very, very afraid of when they pull up close behind us at the traffic lights?

quidditys_shore

that is shocking! anyone know what happened after?

for me lorry drivers are the worst on the roads as most dont seem to understand how dangerous what they are driving is.

couple of months ago i was going to work (morrisons) on the bus at 7am. came to a crossroads where the lights had been green for about 5-10 seconds. just going through when the driver had to slam on his breaks because a morrisons wagon came flying through on red!
i got to work & tried to find the driver but the store manager got to me first & told me that i didnt know what i was talking about, that i had no experience of driving a HGV or how long it takes to stop! he said it was better for him to go through the red (IF it was red!) than slam on his breaks, jack knife the wagon & cause more injury!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
quidditys_shore said:
that is shocking! anyone know what happened after?

for me lorry drivers are the worst on the roads as most dont seem to understand how dangerous what they are driving is.

I am sorry but that is way too much of a sweeping generalisation. There are many good lorry drivers out there and yes a few idiots.

As they drive for a living I would have to say that the general standard of driving from HGV drivers is far superior to many many car drivers.

And no I do not drive a lorry.

Jezston

Über Member
Tynan said:
that clip of the truck nearly killing Boris Johnson on the back road is the manic one, where the back door swings open and picks a range rover up in the air and throws it across the road

Wait what? I want to see this!

4F said:
I am sorry but that is way too much of a sweeping generalisation. There are many good lorry drivers out there and yes a few idiots.

As they drive for a living I would have to say that the general standard of driving from HGV drivers is far superior to many many car drivers.

+1

That is despite the very nasty incident I had with the tanker. Some of my best treatment is from HGV drivers.

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Wasnt a road rage driver of a smaller lorry banned and imprisoned for doing something similar recently? It was on the Beeb site, but I cant remember much about it.

If its real it is shocking, but there again you can never tell half the time. If its fake its very well done and very convincing.

quidditys_shore

4F said:

what i ment was, of the bad driving that i've encountered there's been a higher preportion of it from lorry drivers than form others. the vast majority are good, its just those that arent are far more dangerous than car drivers because of the size & weight of vechile they drive

Top Bottom