Nice HGV driver - doesn't see car.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tightwad

quidditys_shore said:
that is shocking! anyone know what happened after?

for me lorry drivers are the worst on the roads as most dont seem to understand how dangerous what they are driving is.

couple of months ago i was going to work (morrisons) on the bus at 7am. came to a crossroads where the lights had been green for about 5-10 seconds. just going through when the driver had to slam on his breaks because a morrisons wagon came flying through on red!
i got to work & tried to find the driver but the store manager got to me first & told me that i didnt know what i was talking about, that i had no experience of driving a HGV or how long it takes to stop! he said it was better for him to go through the red (IF it was red!) than slam on his breaks, jack knife the wagon & cause more injury!
Yes, according to eye-witnesses, the lorry driver pushed the car back to the Clio driver's house. Whereupon a massive argument started when the driver accused 'Yorkie' of taking the long way home.
Police were called and the Clio was impounded due to the state of the tyres, which showed significant wear. Officer Jones stated: 'In all my years of being a traffic cop I have never met a car driver with a more cavalier attitude to driving. The tyres were worn down to the wheel bearings. It's one thing to tailgate a lorry in order to save a little fuel here and there but honestly bumming a ride at the front of the lorry - well he's just taking the p*ss.'

dodgy

StuartG said:
Could be. The car tyres don't appear to be under any stress. One would have thought they would have shredded being pushed sideways for so long and at least caused the car to shake. No bits flying off or plumes. But if it is a fake it is awfully well done. Just like:
View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCgZnqbbhQo

The road was damp, but yeah, I agree. I don't know if it's fake or not, I've not actually ever seen a truck pushing a clio on the motorway so don't know what it looks like in real life ;)

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I really shouldn't've spent so much time reading the comments.

This one is class though:

"Yeah because they staged a 22 second video just for that.... It isn't fake. It does happen. It's like saying "That dog pee'd in our toilet.. Its so fake" It does happen. Dogs have pee'd in a toilet. Some dogs are very smart. Man I love dogs."

Crankarm

Guru
Presumably the lorry driver must have seen the car prior to it going into the blind spot? Was he asleep or having a w**k? Surely he would have felt/noticed the impact of the car hitting the front of his truck? He should definitely be taken off the road and banned as he is clearly lethal.

HLaB said:
It must be a fake IMO, the lorry driver had to notice something in the build up to the car getting in that position.

Not necessarily ... I've "lost" a car in the blindspot on the nearside of the cab in that very model of truck before now, and I can easily imagine a situation on a motorway where the car driver gets into that blindspot without the driver seeing him. Say - and I have no way of knowing if this is what actually happened - the lorry driver is in the middle lane overtaking another truck. The car driver enters the motorway at a slip road unseen by the lorry driver, who then pulls back across, quite properly, into the inside lane. In doing so, he clips the back of the car, spinning it around into the front of his truck. All accomplished within the driver's blind spots and all without the sort of impact which the driver of something weighing 44 tonnes might be expected to notice.

tightwad

Rhythm Thief said:
Not necessarily ... I've "lost" a car in the blindspot on the nearside of the cab in that very model of truck before now, and I can easily imagine a situation on a motorway where the car driver gets into that blindspot without the driver seeing him. Say - and I have no way of knowing if this is what actually happened - the lorry driver is in the middle lane overtaking another truck. The car driver enters the motorway at a slip road unseen by the lorry driver, who then pulls back across, quite properly, into the inside lane. In doing so, he clips the back of the car, spinning it around into the front of his truck. All accomplished within the driver's blind spots and all without the sort of impact which the driver of something weighing 44 tonnes might be expected to notice.

You thought about driving a snow plough?

just jim

I think it's faked, or part of some viral campaign.
Edit/ campaign for heaven knows what but hey it's the wild west interweb.

OP
OP
B

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
It's exactly the position a car will end up in if clipped at the rear by an HGV. It might be fake, but I think there's a good chance it isn't.

BigSteev

According to Sky News where both the company concerned admit to an incident and the police who are investigating it, it's genuine.

StuartG

slower but further
If you google "arclid transport a1 m1" you will see sky is just one of many media organisations reporting it on 18/03. None before. Not only have Sky copied the video in to their own format (with permission?) but the different media seem to be copying words from each other on the same day. Except there are at least two conflicting statements from Arclid.

So who verified what is unclear. What is pretty certain is this thread was what gave this old story 'legs'. It is now in a speedy gallop!

I've found the Sky article too. I can believe it - I've seen a truck pull out to change lanes on the M20 and clip an estate car on the nearside rear bumper. It bounced the car across 2 lanes and a 360 degree pirouette like you or I would kick a cuddly toy across the room, without diverting from its trajectory.

Tenorman

Twas just shown on the BBC 1 o'clock news too, where they said the company have confirmed it as being genuine. How come it's taken so long to appear when the incident was supposed to have happened in January?

Top Bottom