@Nickyboy's Leeds to Scarborough Spectacular, brought to you by @I like Skol. 8th Sept 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK folks, it is nearly here and time I pulled my finger out and got things sorted at my end! After an intense round of summer holiday engagements I have now turned my attention to The Most Important Trip of the summer and today I managed to book my Trans-Pennine train tickets and bike reservations from Stalybridge to Leeds on Saturday morning. The helpful chap at the ticket desk reassured me there would be no strike or engineering works affecting their service so if it all works out as expected I should be disembarking at Leeds station at exactly 08.30hrs.

I have accommodation, train to the start and a lift home from Mrs Skol.

I have re-read the thread from start to finish and this seems to be the list of definites, and maybes that are still maybes?

@I like Skol + son
@si_c (Depends on trains???)
@NorthernDave as far as York(ish)
@Julia9054
@Almartino
@Moodyman (not heard from since 1st page)
@ColinJ & @Littgull
@Crackle
@EasyPeez
@Buck & Gil
@Kestevan
@nickyboy
@alibaba
@DiddlyDodds as far as Cawood?

Please can people now confirm their attendance so we know who we are expecting on the day?

Also, let's finalise the car share service being provided by Mrs Kestevan and Mrs Skol.
The people expected in my car(Mrs Skol) so far are Me, my son & @alibaba. There is still room for one more person with bike.
Mrs Kestevan was originally lined up to bring back Mr Kestevan, Buck & Gil but I believe Buck & Gil are not attending now so if the offer is still available that could be a way to get some riders back towards the ride start and as far as Huddersfield/Holmfirth.
If nobody else needs the lift in the Kestevan bus then Kestevan could take the final seat in my car and save Mrs K the trip. I expect to leave Scarborough around 10-10.30 on Sunday after finding somewhere to have breakfast.

Speak up now if you want a lift and confirm your place.

Weather forecast is looking changeable at the moment depending on which service you look at. It may just be dull with sunny spells or we might cop for the odd shower? Temps of 15˚C or higher, so not too cold, and on a positive note we should have a good tailwind of at least 10mph pushing us along towards the fish and chip finish and a well earned pint (or tipple of your choice ;)).

I'm remaining optimistic that this will be another great forum ride and hopefully the moon and stars have aligned for you guys to allow you to take part too.

This is the final count down and hopefully I will be seeing you on Saturday at the usual spot here - :hello:

upload_2018-9-3_17-42-41.png

Last edited:

Julia9054

Guru
Looking forward to it.
@Almartino and I will be riding from home and joining you in Malton. A rough idea of when you think you would be getting there would be good.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
@DiddlyDodds as far as Cawood

Please can people now confirm their attendance so we know who we are expecting on the day?

This is the final count down and hopefully I will be seeing you on Sunday at the usual spot here - :hello:

Yes i am turning back at Cawood (or a little further), wish i could go to the seaside but its not possible this year but determined not to miss it altogether. Hoping you meant "See you on Saturday"...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Sorry, but unless the RMT strike is called off at the last minute I will be unable to join you this year.

I hope that you have good weather and an excellent ride.

With luck, I'll join you for next year's edition!

si_c

Guru
Northern Rail haven't published the timetables for saturday yet, but have said that very few services pre- 9am are running.

I've been holding off getting tickets until the situation became clearer, and the return tickets from scarborough are now over £60, so I'm going to have to pass this year :cry::cry:

Sorry from me too Skolly, like @ColinJ has posted above unless there is a very unlikely calling off of the Northern Rail strike day for this Saturday I will have to bow out this year as we would be unable to get to Leeds for the ride start and back from there later in the evening.

Have a great ride all who can make it. If the trains are running I'll definitely be coming next year as it's been a very enjoyable ride the last two years.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Im in.

In the seemingly unlikely event that theres anyone elso who needs a lift back pkease let me know asap, as current planning is for Anita and kes jnr to come up Sunday and spend the day wandering round Scarborough.

colly

Re member eR
Well. I had something planned for this weekend, but, as these things happen, the plans have changed. Mrs Colly is busy on Saturday and so...
I've made no train bookings to get back from Scarborough nor made any accommodation plans so I won't be staying over, and riding all the way back on Saturday evening would be madness given that it would be into a strong headwind and it might well be raining. In the words of the Bard 'Sod that for a game of skittles'
So if it's OK with you chaps I'll ride part way and turn for home. Possibly to Malton.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well. I had something planned for this weekend, but, as these things happen, the plans have changed. Mrs Colly is busy on Saturday and so...
I've made no train bookings to get back from Scarborough nor made any accommodation plans so I won't be staying over, and riding all the way back on Saturday evening would be madness given that it would be into a strong headwind and it might well be raining. In the words of the Bard 'Sod that for a game of skittles'
So if it's OK with you chaps I'll ride part way and turn for home. Possibly to Malton.
@Littgull and I have tickets back from Scarborough to Leeds on the Saturday evening (and bike reservations too). We will not be using the tickets and I can't see us being able to claim money back for them since it isn't Trans Pennine's fault that Northern are not running a proper service. I'd be happy to post mine to you if you would like to do the full ride and catch the train back. Brian has the reservation details so he'd have to tell you the reservation number.

If you'd like my ticket, PM your address to me and I'll post it to you tomorrow!

PS Hang on - the ticket is for me, using my Senior railcard. You would have to pretend you were me and tell the guard that you had forgotten your card. I assume that you'd then have to top up to full price.

Last edited:
@Littgull and I have tickets back from Scarborough to Leeds on the Saturday evening (and bike reservations too). We will not be using the tickets and I can't see us being able to claim money back for them since it isn't Trans Pennine's fault that Northern are not running a proper service. I'd be happy to post mine to you if you would like to do the full ride and catch the train back. Brian has the reservation details so he'd have to tell you the reservation number.

If you'd like my ticket, PM your address to me and I'll post it to you tomorrow!

Yes, definitely @colly. As per @ColinJ post above, PM me too, and I'll message you back with the bike reservation details I booked.

Top Bottom