@Nickyboy's Leeds to Scarborough Spectacular, brought to you by @I like Skol. 8th Sept 2018

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Buck

Guru
Thanks @I like Skol Unfortunately I can confirm that due to my Femoral nerve issue, not only have I not been able to ride for the last 4 weeks; I am missing this ride and also missing any bike rides until mid/end October!!

I have an MRI scan tomorrow evening which I hope gives me and my Physio a plan to sort this monster.

PS. As you have said, Gil. will now be a no show as well.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ thats very generous and kind of you. :okay: I'll send a pm off directly. Such a shame you and Brian are snookered by events.
You got mail; the old-fashioned paper kind! At least you should have by Wednesday - I just nipped out and posted the ticket first class.

Thanks @I like Skol Unfortunately I can confirm that due to my Femoral nerve issue, not only have I not been able to ride for the last 4 weeks; I am missing this ride and also missing any bike rides until mid/end October!!

I have an MRI scan tomorrow evening which I hope gives me and my Physio a plan to sort this monster.
Ouch - good luck with that! :eek:

Buck

Guru
Cheers Colin.
I’ll not clutter this thread with details but ouch starts to cover the physical side. The mental side is a whole different one!

ColinJ

Don't hang about do you @ColinJ ?^_^^_^
I thought I might forget if I left it until tomorrow! :whistle:

Ah, I was just wondering why I felt a bit warm - I forgot to take my windtop off! :laugh:

Cheers Colin.
I’ll not clutter this thread with details but ouch starts to cover the physical side. The mental side is a whole different one!
I can understand that - it took me much longer to start getting over the mental trauma of my DVTs/PEs than the physical trauma.

@Littgull and I have tickets back from Scarborough to Leeds on the Saturday evening (and bike reservations too). We will not be using the tickets and I can't see us being able to claim money back for them since it isn't Trans Pennine's fault that Northern are not running a proper service. I'd be happy to post mine to you if you would like to do the full ride and catch the train back. Brian has the reservation details so he'd have to tell you the reservation number.

If you'd like my ticket, PM your address to me and I'll post it to you tomorrow!

PS Hang on - the ticket is for me, using my Senior railcard. You would have to pretend you were me and tell the guard that you had forgotten your card. I assume that you'd then have to top up to full price.

You know how the saying goes 'Out of adversity .....'. Between us I think @ColinJ and myself have been able to sort our pal @colly out with rail ticket and bike reservation for the 18-50 train Scarborough to Leeds. If anyone else participating in this ride would like a free ticket and details of the other bike reservation just PM me and I'll put the ticket in the post tomorrow. Same situation will apply that Colin has highlighted above i.e. as the price I paid included my Senior Railcard discount you would have to pretend you were me and had forgotten to bring your Senior Railcard if asked for it by the Guard and then pay him/her the difference.

ColinJ

When the guard wonders why 2 oldies have BOTH forgotten their railcards, just both say that your memory is getting awful with age!

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK, people who have confirmed...
@I like Skol + son
@NorthernDave From Leeds to part-way.
@Julia9054 & @Almartino Joining at Malton
@Kestevan
@alibaba
@DiddlyDodds From Leeds to part-way.
@colly

People who definitely can't make it now :sad:
@si_c
@ColinJ & @Littgull
@Crackle
@Buck & Gil
@nickyboy

Still waiting to hear a yea or nay from these two. Guys if you can confirm either way, I have scrolled through the thread a few times and can't see any comments after the initial expression of interest, but I may be going blind, or mad, or both and have just missed your posts?
@Moodyman
@EasyPeez

@colly If you want to stay over for the night rather than trying to impersonate an old coffin dodger, there is a spot in my car for the Sunday morning and we can drop you back in Leeds as we pass through?

My final tasks are to have a look at ride timings and maybe ring the cafes as suggested to make sure they are open.

OP
OP
I like Skol

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Predicted timings. I have reckoned on an average speed of 12mph as this is not too arduous and should be achievable on a relatively flat route with a tail wind.

Cawood is at the 23mile point so if we get away from Leeds on time we should arrive here at 11am and leave at 12pm. Haven't managed to get through on the phone yet but website says 9.30am-9.30pm.

Yorkshire Tea rooms in Malton have confirmed they close at 3pm so we need to leave Cawood on time! Malton is 31 miles after Cawood so 2.5hrs will see us arrive at 2.30pm with 30 minutes for a snack and drink (I seem to think they delayed closing last time I was there?).

The final leg from Malton to Scarborough is 28 miles so again about 2.5hrs riding (flat route). which will see us arriving at the chippy around 5.30-6.00pm. Just right for anyone getting the 6.50pm train. Chippy is open until 8pm.

After the fish & chip dinner there will be a brief adjournment of proceedings while I get my ball gown on ready for the evenings entertainment. I am going to leave the choice of bars to people with better taste than me.....

si_c

Guru
Predicted timings. I have reckoned on an average speed of 12mph as this is not too arduous and should be achievable on a relatively flat route with a tail wind.

Looks about right to me, you should have a solid tailwind out of Leeds to Scarborough- a good 12-15mph but with a good chance of rain though.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Hello Skolly,

Been invited to a family celebration, and whilst I'd rather go cycling, it's one I have to attend or people will take offence.

So, please count me out.

Top Bottom