FNRttC Night ride to Whitstable, April 22nd, 2016 (Starting at Tower Bridge)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
More London is private land and they are sniffy about groups congregating . they are very anti cycling too. even wheeling it through there the security muppetts give you grief. pickle herring street ( the walkway under tower bridge southside is sheltered and has the advantage of leading into the Shad thames are so easy to pick up jamaica road.
How about the Scoop or whatever it's called under City Hall?

Mr Orange

Just a quick big wheeled related question - don't die of shock. What do people think of the 'Condor Fratello' now with disc brakes!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
How about the Scoop or whatever it's called under City Hall?
Part of More London.

If the management can find a way to turn right safely onto Tower Bridge there are a number of open spaces on the north side of the bridge. I can't find opening times, but Trinity Square Gardens springs to mind. Or there's a paved area outside the Tower by the ticket booths.

Once on the bridge, the peleton will easily dominate and form its own rolling road block.

Just a quick big wheeled related question - don't die of shock. What do people think of the 'Condor Fratello' now with disc brakes!
Are you thinking of buying one? Then surely the more important question is, what do you think if it?

Condor make very good bikes and the Fratello is one of their best-loved models. Discs are a personal preference.

The deal maker or breaker will be whether it fits you and you find it comfortable. So go test ride one. :smile:

Part of More London.

If the management can find a way to turn right safely onto Tower Bridge there are a number of open spaces on the north side of the bridge. I can't find opening times, but Trinity Square Gardens springs to mind. Or there's a paved area outside the Tower by the ticket booths.

Once on the bridge, the peleton will easily dominate and form its own rolling road block.

There are roadworks approaching the Tower, just before Tower Hill, so probably not viable.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
This gravel bike thing, is it something I should be concerned about? It is, after all, a whole class of bike missing from my collection.
If you've got room for one, and you'd think you'd have a use for it, go for it. What I wanted from the Litespeed (or alternatives I might have gone for & would have been happy with) was a lighter/stiffer/faster counterpart to the Trek. Got it.

srw

There are roadworks approaching the Tower, just before Tower Hill, so probably not viable.
Ah. I thought they were further west, and also thought that crossing Tower Bridge right at the start would be a special Fridays-style start to a ride. I shall leave the thoughts with @Trickedem.

Sadly I'm unlikely to be with you in person - it's likely that I'll have a duty visit to make elsewhere in the country.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Part of More London.

Oh I thought it was public land belonging to City Hall rather than More London.

srw

Oh I thought it was public land belonging to City Hall rather than More London.
I think (but could very well be wrong) that City Hall is part of More London.

(Goes and looks)

Yes - http://www.morelondon.com/estate/map/

Everything between Tooley Street, Tower Bridge Road, Hays Galleria and the river is part of the same estate. It's part of the corporatisation of public space.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
They probably have the same mentality as the security guy who tried to stop me taking my helmet into the O2 a few years back on the grounds that it was a 'potential weapon'. His supervisor had more sense. Never had that problem (there or any other venue) any other time before or since.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
This gravel bike thing, is it something I should be concerned about? It is, after all, a whole class of bike missing from my collection.
Um, I once did one ride on one road that was entirely gravel, from one end to the other. Although the people along it were lovely, and the bike was very reliable, all I'll say is that riding a bicycle on a road made of gravel is not something I'd recommend. Hence not buying a gravel bike seems a sensible option. Just sayin'

Top Bottom