Nightmare on Continental street ( yet again )

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

potsy

Rambler
Please explain how nit picking and trying to trip up the OP is a worthwhile contribution to the thread.
And open goal is sometimes hard to resist :whistle:

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Please explain how nit picking and trying to trip up the OP is a worthwhile contribution to the thread.
It's not an unreasonable question, and presumably the answer is that when the tyre slips on the wet / slippery surface and then re-grips at a much faster rotational speed, it can potentially wear small patches away in the tyre - but that would just be my interpretation. Guessing again, but this would be more noticeable on softer compound tyres.

S-Express

I'd like to know if I should avoid anywhere where there are fallen leaves, to make my tyres last longer.

Simple, just avoid riding within a mile of any deciduous trees between late summer and early winter. Or alternatively, restrict all of your riding to the Sahara desert. Your tyres will then last much longer. ;)

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Please let's not turn this into another competitive / circular / sarcastic / nit-picking thread where the same few people chip away at each other's posts. Thanks.

S-Express

Let's not turn this into another competitive / circular / sarcastic / nit-picking thread where the same few people chip away at each other's posts. Thanks.

Such nonsense deserves derision though, no?

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
It's an interesting question....does a tyre that maintains normal road contact wear more slowly than one which loses normal contact and "spins" occasionally. I guess, intuitively, the one that spins wears more quickly. But I'm not sure if that's the case or not.

FWIW, I get a fair bit of spin. Plenty of damp, steep hills here. Out of the saddle (thus less force applied through rear wheel) and slip is common. Easily rectified by sitting down/easing off/finding a drier bit of rad

jay clock

Massive member
This is a bit like Tripadvisor where you have dozens of super reviews and a tiny handful of bad ones. I have just removed a 4 seasons from the back wheel of my Ribble CR3 winter road bike. Done 4205km in all weathers mostly winter ones as I have a summer bike. Has a slit is the side wall with tube poking out (about 3-4mm long. Also spotted a patch of missing rubber about the size of my small fingernail where it has peeled away

No p¨nctures on it.

Front one less worn and still got miles to go

Top Bottom