No Gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

liambauckham

Über Member
I went for my usual lunch ride (lucky me) yesterday, its a 15 mile 600 foot up and down on a road bike.
It was cold, and wet and I forgot my glovies.
I went out without them and my hands soon calmed down from the elements.

Aside from cutting my hand slightly, it was rubbing on the cable casing near the brake ....

I really really enjoyed being able to feel the road more, it was quite amazing and come spring, I shall go commando more often.

Anyone else prefer no gloves?

crazy **************** i cant even walk to the office without gloves

I came from a motorcycling background and was conditioned to always wear leathers / gloves whatever the weather. This habit carried over into my cycling (obviously not the full leathers part) and I always wear gloves. So ingrained has the "what hits the floor first when you crash" mantra become that donning gloves is now a sub-concious action for me, as I realised looking down 20 minutes into my turbo session the other night at my gloved hands.

In my defence at least they were my summer fingerless mitts.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I went for my usual lunch ride (lucky me) yesterday, its a 15 mile 600 foot up and down on a road bike.
It was cold, and wet and I forgot my glovies.
I went out without them and my hands soon calmed down from the elements.

Aside from cutting my hand slightly, it was rubbing on the cable casing near the brake ....

I really really enjoyed being able to feel the road more, it was quite amazing and come spring, I shall go commando more often.

Anyone else prefer no gloves?
i only ever wear them in the winter.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Mitts or lightweight full finger MTB gloves (warm enough unless absolutely freezing).

I used to never wear gloves or mitts, but I've ended up with half the road embedded in my hand once, not nice picking stuff out. Gloves also stop/prevent those hard lumps of skin you can get at the base of the finger on the palm.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Had "full on" thick seal skins on the other day, got to a point where I realised I couldn't change gear on the drops, just on the hoods. They serve a purpose but the riding experience was really clumsy. As soon as I felt it was warm enough I changed to lightweight full fingered MTB gloves that I took with me.

si_c

Guru
Had "full on" thick seal skins on the other day, got to a point where I realised I couldn't change gear on the drops, just on the hoods. They serve a purpose but the riding experience was really clumsy. As soon as I felt it was warm enough I changed to lightweight full fingered MTB gloves that I took with me.

I find the same when I'm using the heavier gloves, I have difficulty operating the brake levers from the drops, not had any problems thus far, but it does make me far more cautious.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Another one here who used not to wear gloves until I came a cropper. Skinned palms hurt!

Fingerless most of the time but full finger when it gets down around freezing

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I must be a right cauld tattie. Lol. Full finger nearly all year round with mitts only on the really warm days. Mind you, the bulk of my cycling is done early mornings.
Me too, this morning i had full finger gloves with glove liners as well at 6 am, in summer its got to be 18 degrees plus before i wear finger less gloves.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Always gloved up, me!

Currently Altura Night Vision wind / waterproof that started out hi-viz yellow but due to a couple of incidents with the chain, multiple soakings and general road grime they aren't as yellow as they once were (despite a trip through the washing machine). I should have got the black ones...but they are really very good and the only ones I have that can cope with the current weather.

I have a paid of Aldi's finest full fingered gloves for intermediate days, although they're not at all waterproof. And for the rest of the time I've got a couple of pairs of Planet X's excellent Carnac fingerless gloves, which are much better quality than their low price might suggest.

Wolf616

Über Member
In summer I like to wear finger less gloves so that most of my hands are bright white. It's always fun watching someone notice who doesn't know you well enough to mention it and do a double take

Top Bottom