No Gloves

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Always. Always. Always.

Winter; got to have me Sealskins, for warmth, safety and "Snot Rocket" absorption.

Summer; fingerless gel mitts with mesh backs. Who wants sweat soaking into their bar tape?

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
Full finger gloves most days unless its in the summer and baking! I have an old pair of much loved Endura Full Monte's that I wear on some not so chilly early and late commutes, currently have a pair of Castelli Neoprene gloves but I can still feel the chill through my fingers, so ive substituted in a pair of DHB windproofs for the time being (I have so many gloves...)

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
The only time I wear gloves is if it's really cold and wet. Then I'll wear thermal full-finger gloves. Even then I might take them off mid ride

I run hot at the best of times and my rides are hard and hilly. I hate having sweaty hands and no gloves makes me feel more in contact with the bike.I don't get this "in case I fall off" argument for gloves. Why not wear knee pads as well, just in case?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I must be a right cauld tattie. Lol. Full finger nearly all year round with mitts only on the really warm days. Mind you, the bulk of my cycling is done early mornings.
To be fair it also rarely gets above 5 Celsius in Perthshire even in the summer

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
The only time I wear gloves is if it's really cold and wet. Then I'll wear thermal full-finger gloves. Even then I might take them off mid ride

I run hot at the best of times and my rides are hard and hilly. I hate having sweaty hands and no gloves makes me feel more in contact with the bike.I don't get this "in case I fall off" argument for gloves. Why not wear knee pads as well, just in case?
Because you don't do much stuff with your knees.......???? Even if you don't need your hands to earn a living, try operating a computer mouse with no skin on your palms.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Also hands and fingers are rather more full of nerves, they hurt so much more when scraped than knees! :cry:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
No gloves in winter?!:ohmy: I had my wool gloves on under my winter gloves today and my fingers still ended up numb, though both combined are usually ok when dry(unlike today). Even on a warm day i'll still have some hand protection on. Fingerless mitts are needed in case you go head first and use your hands for brakes, or if you see a bit of glass on your tyre and want to use your hand for a scraper.

si_c

Guru
No gloves in winter?!:ohmy: I had my wool gloves on under my winter gloves today and my fingers still ended up numb, though both combined are usually ok when dry(unlike today).

That's summer weather for you though usually right? :evil:

Tin Pot

Guru

If you're going to do something daft, like i did, then yes - full body armour. My palm was fine due to the glove, but my elbow and thigh are scarred, and still twinge.

If not, the padding in gloves helps for comfort in longer rides and the occasional minor mishap.

Plus, fingerless gloves rock.

Though they don't really sync with a suit on a Boris bike.

Sara_H

Guru
Since my OH hit a very nasty hand injury a couple of years ago (needed surgery and a couple of months off work) our family all wear gloves all the time in fir ruding.
I got some nice vintage style fingerless ones last summer.

Top Bottom