No Vax Djokovic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

As soon as the Aus govt revealed it's "we can do what we like here" card, the decision became as much about which camp they pissed off least/most as anything else.

As farcical as it all became, personally I feel the Govt could only ever take a strict line on the rules and cancel the visa.

Milzy

Guru
I don’t really like the guy & although it seems harsh on him, Australia are well within their rights to send him packing. Haaarrrr haaaa!

Apparently theyre intending to kick him out swiftly. If he intends to appeal to a higher court, he'll have to do it from whereveristan and not Oz.

The moment he landed they should have shoved him on the next flight/boat/canoe heading out.
Once it is a 3 judge Federal Court, the road ends. His lawyers asked for the 3 judge and not the usual single judge. There is no further avenue.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We'll have that 3-way tie for Grand Slam titles winners a little while longer then - assuming Rafa can't win here, which is a fair assumption, I think.
My opinion is who cares?

When so many Australians have been refused entry to visit family and sick and dying relatives. I find it hard to believe that a man would go through all of this to walk over those people to play tennis. I used to find him entertaining. But now I will just see him as being self centred and arrogant. He will arrive home as a national hero, I will not be suprised to see his supporters burning the Australian flag. I think this could define his tennis career and thats a shame.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
My opinion is who cares?

When so many Australians have been refused entry to visit family and sick and dying relatives. I find it hard to believe that a man would go through all of this to walk over those people to play tennis. I used to find him entertaining. But now I will just see him as being self centred and arrogant. He will arrive home as a national hero, I will not be suprised to see his supporters burning the Australian flag. I think this could define his tennis career and thats a shame.
Why did you quote my post to make that point? I care about the Grand Slams, which is why I made the point, which you quoted and then made a wholly different one.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Why did you quote my post to make that point? I care about the Grand Slams, which is why I made the point, which you quoted and then made a wholly different one.
You must be one of the few people outside of Serbia who does care. Compared to other peoples reasons for wanting to get into Australia. His reason was insignifant. That was my point. I used your quote because you put it out there and so I can use it.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
You must be one of the few people outside of Serbia who does care. Compared to other peoples reasons for wanting to get into Australia. His reason was insignifant. That was my point. I used your quote because you put it out there and so I can use it.
Tennis fans outside Serbia don't care about Grand Slam Tournaments and the 3 giants of the game who each have 20 Grand Slam titles?
I appreciate your unusual insight into the game.

Reading posts is always a good start, at least IME, lest someone was making a rather different point entirely - which was, for your complete understanding - now that he is unable to play in a tournament for which he was clear favourite*, it looks like we will continue with the 3-way tie for most Grand Slam Tournaments won for another tournament 😊

I was making no comment about the efficacy of his impending expulsion, but as it happens, I absolutely understand and support it.

WRT this defining his tennis career, I very much doubt it. In future years it will show him (I expect) as the clear GOAT in terms of Grand Slams won. This will be a footnote.

*As World No 1 and a previous 9-time winner, and which surface Rafa Nadal's game is unsuited to.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Tennis fans outside Serbia don't care about Grand Slam Tournaments and the 3 giants of the game who each have 20 Grand Slam titles?

Reading posts is always a good start, at least IME, lest someone was making a rather different point entirely - which was, for your complete understanding - now that he is unable to play in a tournament for which he was clear favourite*, it looks like we will continue with the 3-way tie for most Grand Slam Tournaments which surface Rafa Nadal's game is unsuited to.

Reading posts is always a good start, at least IME, lest someone was making a rather different point entirely - which was, for your complete understanding - now that he is unable to play in a tournament for which he was clear favourite*, it looks like we will continue with the 3-way tie for most Grand Slam Tournaments won for another tournament 😊

I was making no comment about the efficacy of his impending expulsion, but as it happens, I absolutely understand and support it.

WRT this defining his tennis career, I very much doubt it. In future years it will show him (I expect) as the clear GOAT in terms of Grand Slams won. This will be a footnote.

*As World No 1 and a previous 9-time winner, and which surface Rafa Nadal's game is unsuited to.
Sorry. I did not understand 90% of that and I do not know these people. As far as I, and many others are concerned. He is a self centred, entitled git. He should have manned up and ruled himself put of this competition. Even if it was to respect those Australians who have been trying to get home to visit relatives. I have friends in OZ arranging street BBQs to celebrate the back of him 😁😁

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
1642342362572.png

One of his entourage probably deliberately not wearing his mask properly.

Funny thing about tennis, people who don't follow it and only have comments on the controversial when they hit the main news can't see that a lot of people care about the game. It's kind of like people on a non cycling site slagging off Pro cyclists as all doping when they catch and ban one prominent cyclist doping. My who cares comment is about the opinions of those who say "who cares" in such cases. If that makes sense.

The good thing about all this is how any thread on here about grand slams in tennis will be for fans of tennis and sport not those out for the controversy.

IMHO the AO has undoubtedly lost out due to the stupidity of the GOAT Djokovich. It is a lesser tournament without him but it is still right to be without him due to no vaccination status. It has been his tournament to lose IMHO. Howeverwe'll still see a good level of tennis skill without him

Drago

Legendary Member
I don't think its lost out. I think the integrity and sporting credentials of the evet are enhanced without an arrogant, lying prat who thinks the rules and regulations of multiple countries do not apply ro him.

The remaining players are behaving themselves, and setting a better example of sportsmanlike behaviour. Not only that, they aren't sticking a metaphorical middle finger up at the bulk of Australians who made so many sacrifices in the name of public safety, and that also preseves the standing of the event.

Taken as a whole, they both lost. The Open would DEFINITELY rather have Novak playing - they just don't want him breaking rules to achieve that.

I suspect most in government would also want him in - as if they have any sense, they will want what's best for one of their highest profile international events. (The only small plus side might be the show of legal force - but the confused handling will undermine even this aspect, I believe.)

Top Bottom