Now it's all done: What about Scotrail to Inverness?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Philip Whiteman

Über Member
What are people's experiences for returning back home from John O'Groats by train. I hear that the Scotrail element from Wick/Thurso to Inverness can be troublesome. Is this the case and how can it be overcome?

rualexander

Legendary Member
We came back on that train three weeks ago after our LEJOG. The trains take four bikes (used to be just two) and there are four trains per day except sundays when there is only one. The one that leaves around lunchtime was the most convenient for us (there are a couple earlier and one later) as we had cycled back to Wick from JOG in the morning. There was officially only one bike space left when we got to the station (hadn't booked) but the lady in the ticket office said that we would be ok and she would clear it with the train conductor. When we came to board, the conductor was a bit grumpy about it but let us on anyway (apparently if an inspector gets on then the conductor gets it in the neck for breaching the rules). Another cyclist wanted to board further down the line but he wasn't allowed on unfortunately.
The annoying thing is that the train was not busy and could easily have carried more cyclists if they introduced some more versatile space with maybe folding seats that could be flipped up when needed for bikes if the train was not full.
Buses are an alternative, Stagecoach state in their baggage carrying T&Cs that they will take bikes in the luggage hold of their coaches, there are four or five per day from Wick to Inverness.

robgul

Legendary Member
Phil - have a look at my website at www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk and the bit about transport - there are a few suppliers listed

When we got to JOG in June this year we stayed overmight and then got a chap with a car and trailer to take us to Inverness Station for the train to Edinburgh (where we stopped overnight) and then to Birmingham the following morning. It cost a few bob, but was worth it (we did manage to "sell" the return journey to another rider starting a JOGLE.)

Sound like the poster above was lucky with the train - my own experience when riding the JOGLE in 2005 was that despite having a confirmed train booking with cycle space from Inverness to Wick we weren't allowed on the train ... Scotrail had made a cock-up with bookings ... in fairness they did sort it with transport all the way to JOG but not until after some remonstrating.

[Drop me an e-mail if you want any more info - you know the addy]

Rob

Bicycle spaces on the sleeper to Glasgow and Edinburgh are fine, but beyond are impossible. With a two week window I was unable to book a bike space on an Inverness sleeper!

snorri

Legendary Member
I've never had any problems north of Inverness, but obviously some people have. Having a chat with the guard one day he said with a smile "Bicycles, yes we have our problems now and again"
I can't say I've ever had a problem getting the bike on the sleeper from London to Inverness either, but sometimes going south had to wait a day or two for a slot. The cycle compartment being regularly full of fresh fish, capacity is limited southbound.
Scotrail obviously get a lot of revenue from the all year round fish trade so are not so worried about inconveniencing some summer cyclists.

I've never had any problems north of Inverness, but obviously some people have. Having a chat with the guard one day he said with a smile "Bicycles, yes we have our problems now and again"
I can't say I've ever had a problem getting the bike on the sleeper from London to Inverness either, but sometimes going south had to wait a day or two for a slot. The cycle compartment being regularly full of fresh fish, capacity is limited southbound.
Scotrail obviously get a lot of revenue from the all year round fish trade so are not so worried about inconveniencing some summer cyclists.

Which really rather reflects the problem...... If you have a regular income, why not actually plan for it!

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Which really rather reflects the problem...... If you have a regular income, why not actually plan for it!

Train operating companies can plan until the cows come home but it doesn't mean that they will get the rolling stock that thier plans require. The goverment holds the purse strings for rolling stock purchase and they are reluctant to spend anything.

Wardy

I can only speak from Aberdeen to Newcastle experience (after Coast & Castles) but I can seriously recommend www.thetrainline.com for making bookings. It only cost me £17 single. I couldn't see how to book the bike online so phoned them up and was very impressed with their help, even though it was one of the dreaded "offshore" call centres. I was glad I had booked as the guard checked for this evidence and space was cramped.

Last year we had booked on the night sleeper from, Inverness, and the cycle area was blocked with fish boxes, we complained to the staff, and they unloaded it so we could put the bike in, then they reloaded it. one just has to be a grumpy old man

Last year we had booked on the night sleeper from, Inverness, and the cycle area was blocked with fish boxes, we complained to the staff, and they unloaded it so we could put the bike in, then they reloaded it. one just has to be a grumpy old man

Top Bottom