Odd factoids

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Romans can't count. September is actually the 9th month not the as named 7th. A similar mistake is October - not the as named 8th but 10th month. Roman Numerals are to blame.

bruce1530

Guru
The Gregorian calendar was invented by popular bakery chain Gregg's, so they knew when it was time for their seasonal products, such as Festive Bakes, to go on sale.
This is a common rumour, but is not the case.

The Gregorian calendar was invented by Mrs Edna Sprockett. She had two sons, Ian and Greg, who constantly argued about who’s turn it was to do the chores. So she made up a rota

January: Greg
February: Ian
March: Greg
April: Ian

It became known as the Greg or Ian calendar.

classic33

Leg End Member
Romans did not use the Gregorian calendar hence why the months do not line up numerically anymore.
March used to be the first month of the year. Until Julius Ceasar decided to change things, giving rise to the Julian Calendar which would be named after him.

This left him as the only person in history to have both a month of the year and a system of time keeping named after him.

classic33

Leg End Member
The Julian Calendar was named after Julian Clary.
I thought it was the other way around, as a result of not being able to decide which month he felt suited him the best.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
The Roman year was some times 355 days and other years 377 days. It was a bigger when planning annual leave.

Newly conscripted Roman Legionairres were often disappointed to find that their two weeks annual leave was barely enough to get them from Hadrians Wall to Eboracum and back. This was why the extra days were added so they could get back to Rome for a holiday.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Newly conscripted Roman Legionairres were often disappointed to find that their two weeks annual leave was barely enough to get them from Hadrians Wall to Eboracum and back. This was why the extra days were added so they could get back to Rome for a holiday.

Eboracum was located just outside Bootham bar in York. The Viking name for York is Jorvik. It used to be the capital before London stole it.

classic33

Leg End Member
Have you a Rose Alley nearby, or live near/on Lily Lane?

Your first thought may be that it's named after a person. Second thought, after the flower maybe.

You'd be wrong on both. "Plucking a rose" & "Guilding a lilly" are both euphenisms for having a pee. So both would be popular spots for relieving the bladder.

Not so sweet smelling after all.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Terry toweling nappies were invented 3 days after Adam and Eve had their first child. At first they used the trusty fig leaf but Eve quickly told Adam "I am fed up being up to my elbows in sh*t.....you can change the next one. So being a man he immediately invented Terry nappies.
And before anyone queries this fact, they were originally called Cain & Abel nappies but then the third child, Terry was born.

Top Bottom