Oh no I have flu !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Sorry to hear this!

My gaffer had something recently that really knocked him out; I thought I had the beginnings of it on Wed, then it backed off.. now after an inpromptu night of vodka-fuelled frivolity I'm not feeling so hot again and wonder if my diminished state has given it a foothold..I guess time will tell!

It's reckoned that after social distancing, which had arrested transmission of infections, has favoured those that are more transmissible so now contact levels are back to what they were, infections are spreading faster.

Get well soon ;)

mikeIow

Guru
Which reminds me... It must be flu jab time!
Is now a tad late for that?
Ours were done (‘auto invitation’ from our surgery) at the end of October: flu in one arm, Covid booster in the other 💪
So far, so good 🤞

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
I was always of the opinion, if someone at work for instance tells you they have the flu...they don't. Flu will floor you, you won't even get out of bed (that's always been my experience anyway)

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Covid if anything has shown that it can be anything from asymptomatic to hospitalisation. Why should the flu be any different?

Plus there must be people you come into contact, who have the flu (so you can catch it), without being floored. Otherwise how did you catch it?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Is now a tad late for that?
Ours were done (‘auto invitation’ from our surgery) at the end of October: flu in one arm, Covid booster in the other 💪
So far, so good 🤞

I had mine on 1 October, GP surgery ran a big drive, queued up with all the other oldies (first free one for me this year)!

Were you not invited a couple of months back or so?
It does seem late... I hope that I haven't got so forgetful that I have forgotten having it done! :whistle:

Oops... I just found an overlooked text reminder from the local health centre dated November 11th. Looks like my fault! :blush:

I will go for a stroll to Lidl and call in at the nearby health centre to see if they have a drop-in programme. If not, I can make an appointment. Much better than fighting their telephone queue for hours!

vickster

Legendary Member
It does seem late... I hope that I haven't got so forgetful that I have forgotten having it done! :whistle:

Oops... I just found an overlooked text reminder from the local health centre dated November 11th. Looks like my fault! :blush:

I will go for a stroll to Lidl and call in at the nearby health centre to see if they have a drop-in programme. If not, I can make an appointment. Much better than fighting their telephone queue for hours!

You should be able to get done at pharmacy.
If you are signed up to patient access, you might be able to book at pharmacy via that

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Covid if anything has shown that it can be anything from asymptomatic to hospitalisation. Why should the flu be any different?

Plus there must be people you come into contact, who have the flu (so you can catch it), without being floored. Otherwise how did you catch it?

I agree - like most illnesses the severity varies. I also remember pre covid there was some research that common cold could make your more ill than they first thought.

ColinJ

I agree - like most illnesses the severity varies. I also remember pre covid there was some research that common cold could make your more ill than they first thought.
Definitely! I have had scary proof of that...
I agree. I once collapsed unconscious at the side of the road when trying to ride up a moderately steep hill (Heptonstall Rd - > Lee Wood). That was a few days after having a cold. Since then I have been a lot more cautious about recovering properly from illness before major exertion!
:eek:

ColinJ

If you are signed up to patient access, you might be able to book at pharmacy via that
I must get more organised! Not only is there a flu jab reminder in my Patient Access account, I just also noticed that I am overdue ordering my next warfarin prescription... Fortunately, I have built up a surplus, but I don't want to run out over Christmas / New Year.

gbb

Legendary Member

As with covid, the common cold and flu, there is a period at the beginning (or maybe at the end) when you';re showing few or no symptoms but can still transmit. Whether that period is a few hours or a day or two, who knows ?
TBF, i said ive had flu 4 times in my life. But how do i (or anyone else for that matter) know it's actually Flu ? No-one gets examined, i dont think theres a readily available test for the masses to know instantly.
The general concensus is enough, temperature, shivers, extreme lethargy, aches and a general feeling of utter cr@pness is enough to label it as flu... and certainly in my cases, you're not generally getting out of bed, let alone going to work. Death warmed up might be a good description :laugh:

Top Bottom