Oh no I have flu !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
AHA!!!! So YOU'RE the "one of those people" that someone knows who got a flu jab and still got the flu. Consider yourself a unicorn, probably just a spot of bad luck I'd say.

The flu jab is less effective than the COVID jabs.

Less effective because each year's jab is composed of vaccines for 2-3 variants that are predicted to be the most common over the coming winter, but there are always some other variants circulating, and sometimes the prediction is wrong.

But even for the expected variants, in a similar fashion to COVID jabs, they don't completely prevent infection, just reduce the chance, and reduce the severity if it is caught.

icowden

Veteran
Additionally Flu is worse this year as there was much less of it in 2020 and 2021.

Why? Face masks. If everyone wears them, transmission is hugely reduced.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Mrs CK is close to physically restraining me from going out riding this weekend as its the club x mas cake ride but honestly i should rest as im still coughing up lumps and head feels full of cotton wool .

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
yep... :whistle:
rest up & make plans for retirement ;)

How do you actually know it's flu as there's no test (or do you mean man flu rather than influenza)? Probably worth doing a Covid test tho :okay:

Flu - a massively overused term for a cold.

Never had it myself but Mrs SD did many moons ago.

In bed for three days with debilitating fever, could hardly walk for 2 weeks and the most appalling ulcerated throat that lingered for ages.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/symptoms/coldflu.htm

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
According to my wife the flu this year is particularly nasty. She dragged me to Boots to have the injection

I do not think there’s any evidence of that yet

icowden

Veteran
According to my wife the flu this year is particularly nasty.
I don't think it's any more nasty than usual, it's just that for the last 2 years there has been a lot less flu and a lot less exposure to the flu virus so our immune systems may have relaxed a bit.

Masks don't just prevent the transmission of Covid. They also block coughs, colds, flu etc. What most people don't seem to understand is that normal masks don't protect the wearer, they protect everyone else.

gbb

Legendary Member
Took a Covid test yesterday, negative.
Slept poorly on Sunday night, elevated heart rate but went to work Monday feeling a bit crud. Got through the day OK , very busy, very demanding day, relax relax relax, bath, bed.
Woke up several times Monday night, got up Tues feeling worse, tired and fuzzy. Managed work until lunchtime, thew the towel In and came home.
In bed for maybe 16 hours, slept heavily once gone but prior to that, aches, shivers, hot, slight nausea and a prickly stomach.
Eaten 3 pieces of toast and half a banana in around 30 hours, mending now, eating lightly, feel much better.
Covid, no. Flu, perhaps but had it before, its felt worse. This wasn't nice but had worse. Virus ?, grandkids, several of them have been ill and we have been in very close contact so no wonder...:whistle:

gbb

Legendary Member
I don't think it's any more nasty than usual, it's just that for the last 2 years there has been a lot less flu and a lot less exposure to the flu virus so our immune systems may have relaxed a bit.

Masks don't just prevent the transmission of Covid. They also block coughs, colds, flu etc. What most people don't seem to understand is that normal masks don't protect the wearer, they protect everyone else.

This is exactly what I think, flu, viruses, even the common cold has been in the background since the pandemic, we have been somewhat screened from them . Flu is awful, it always was, you never forget proper flu.
pre pandemic, I would get awful colds occasionally, swollen watering eyes ...I don't think I've had one bad cold since. I will get one, its inevitable but I think we have forgotten how rotten these things are. Just getting through a virus now, pretty bad but still not flu IMO. Flu is truly awful.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Ok - OP here.

Every symptom has now gone - with the exception of me fetching up green mucus. Usually worse in the morning.

When I do return to gym and cycling ? - limited myself to foam rolling and stretching excercises at home.

vickster

Legendary Member
I’d give it another week, especially the gym as no one wants to be there with someone coughing and hoiking xx(
You could go for a walk to be active

Top Bottom