Oi! Take your gel packets home with you!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wonderloaf

Veteran
What about shinning over the back wall of the shop to liberate the empties you took back earlier, then taking them to a different shop down the road?
Never tried that, but we had Coca-Cola bottling plant near us, so we used to climb over the fence to acquire empty or full bottles. If they were full it was a double bubble as we got a drink as a bonus!

stephec

Legendary Member
Or even back in the same shop.
We weren't that cheeky. :biggrin:

Simontm

Veteran
On a slightly related subject - how come on a Monday morning round Richmond Park I'm dodging spent air tubes? Why are they even on a road at all?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Anybody who drops litter is either lazy or has no respect for other people (or both!).

It boils my p1ss.

My workmate years ago picked up a load of McDonald's litter dropped out of a car (possibly a taxi?), and pushed the bag back through the drivers window.

Should be done more often!.

Cigarette butts are another annoyance.

On a similar note, at the beginning of the summer I was up at the wife's horses sorting out the stable roof, when a van when past & threw an empty coke can onto the verge. Obviously he hadn't seen me watching & not sure he heard me shouting "Tramp!" I managed to get the company name off the van & it turns out that it was a self employed contractor, so getting his address was quite easy. I retrieved the can & crushed it a little, put it in a large jiffy bag & posted it back to him with a note. I accidently put insufficient postage on the envelope, so hopefully the said contactor had to pay the post office excess to receive his own litter :laugh:

Cubist

Still wavin'
It's a daily wail article.
The race was organised and had litter pickers laid on.
The litter pickers failed to pick the litter.
The deer in the photo was wearing a Tesco bag.
The stomach contents from the dead deer were not gel wrappers.

BUT

In the minds of the average wail reader, cycling in Richmond Park kills deer. Fantastic.

e-rider

crappy member
cyclists up and down the country are dropping litter - such people exist in society and that will never change. Unfortunately when such people take up cycling as a hobby/sport the public are quick to label all cyclists with the same behaviour.

My biggest concern is how so many drivers these days target serious aggression towards me based on how other cyclists have made them feel. The roads are not a nice place to be for a cyclist these days and something needs to be done soon. I like the way West Midlands police are actively trying to improve things for vulnerable road users such as cyclists - perhaps there is hope for the future! What we need is central government to get serious about cycling but none of the big 3 parties have much interest in that right now

Last edited:

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
My biggest concern is how so many drivers these days target serous aggression towards me based on how other cyclists have made them feel. The roads are not a nice place to be for a cyclist these days and something needs to be done soon.
Yes, although I feel that sometimes, that's a post-hoc rationalisation of their bad behaviour. E.g. they do something idiotic and impatient, because they simply are not considering the consequences, which they then justify by reaching into the grab bag of anti-cycling tropes.

I think that in most cases, the idiotic behavior would probably still happen[1], tbh, regardless of whether they felt forced to justify it with some anti-cycling nonsense or not.

[1] Because, among other things, of a road culture that prioritises anything with a motor, that minimises and condones motoring crime/bad behaviour as less anti-social than that occuring in other spheres of life, and that holds as very important a sort of pointless alacrity in which it is vital to get to the next traffic bottleneck as quickly as possible, regardless of the minor (if any) improvement in overall journey time.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Having a senior moment last night and couldn't think what an earth CO2 cartridges were called :laugh:
Oh I thought you meant inner tubes. There have been times when I've first noticed a new sportive route by the discarded inner tubes hung on garden fences :headshake: - usually it's the arrows that are put up and rarely removed after the event. I spotted an arrow from the 2015 Round Britain Bike Ride yesterday...

Old Steve

The original post was about the London Duathlon, which is a race. The cost of cleaning should be included in the entry fee.

Does the Mail have articles in April about "litter lout runners"?
I Am not sure if you are a Alamy live news/ stock photographer or not, if you are ....hello fellow news photographer..... if not are you aware that lifting a watermarked photograph from Alamy or any news site to which the copyright belongs to the photographer is breaking the law and is known as copyright infringement, the Image is not one of mine so doesn't effect me... But I was going to point out that I make more money per image ( a lot more ) by chasing copyright infringement ( theft ) than I do from licensing the images legitimately in the first place..
As I said not a problem to me and maybe you are a fellow news/stock photographer.. If not I expect that the other photographers do the same as me and check most days with Google reverse search or tin eye to see which of their images are getting ripped off and where they are being used.

Quick edit, I just checked the image and the photographer who owner the copyright is known to me....so maybe your name is Simon ....... But also possibly not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom