Old Father Time has started sprinting.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
One of the first times i felt my age was going to my eldest's yr 13 parents evening. As i was queuing to see his teachers, i was musing on how the hall was full of clapped out looking middle aged people. Then it dawned on me that i probably looked exactly the same!

OP
OP
U

User32269

One of the first times i felt my age was going to my eldest's yr 13 parents evening. As i was queuing to see his teachers, i was musing on how the hall was full of clapped out looking middle aged people. Then it dawned on me that i probably looked exactly the same!
At least you haven't had teachers
telling your kids at the gate to tell "grandad" about their day when they started school!

classic33

Leg End Member
p01.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Not wishing to get in too deep for 'chat' but I read somewhere way back that we all go through a phase where we adjust to and eventually accept our inevitable mortality. I went through this about a decade back in my early 50's.

I've never been scared of death although I do have an avid aversion to having a grisly end (hence I am pro-euthanasia in certain circumstances although I'd not want the thread to be hijacked down that can of worms route).

What bothered me back then was the relative shortness of the time I've probably got left - even shorter now! As a male born in 1956, late 70's/early 80's would be a decent lifespan.

As I hit my 50's I had retired a couple of years prior, was (and I still am) with the girl (she likes the term so I'll use it here as I gather it's not universally popular these days) of my dreams and out and out love of my life with all the material stuff we needed and was financially secure. But... I thought what a wickedly dark sense of humour the Grim Reaper has - there you are you work hard and, along with the odd bit of good fortune, end up in a good place but the flipside, for most of us, is a relatively short span of time to enjoy it all. What a bummer! It seemed so unfair and dragged me down for a while

Over time I came to accept the status quo of the situation and have pretty much exorcised the demons that nattered away to me about the unfairness of it all. Dodgy GP misdiagnosis's notwithstanding (long story and not for here) I have tackled my remaining years with enthusiasm and will do so until I'm laid low and can't do so anymore.

My GP (different to the one I just mentioned) holds the rather sanguine viewpoint that most of us need to get our heads around the fact that if we live until ripe old age something will almost certainly come along and clobber us to call it a day. She maintains that the notion of dying whilst doing what you fancy or peacefully in your sleep whilst not suffering from any malaise is not so common amongst the very old. And as you can't avoid it she says that it's best to accept your likely future and that you will, in her experience, find ways to manage and adapt to any adverse situations that may arise. It took me a long time to digest that piece of information.

So, onwards and upwards, accept the inevitable and live for the moment is my method of dealing with the default consequence of birth - full of clichés but I can't think of a better way to describe it :smile:
Onwards and upwards, you've taken up mountain climbing!

OP
OP
U

User32269

Nowt wrong with The Clancy Brothers!
I've had a similar jumper to those for years, I think I used to wear it ironically, now it just keeps me warm.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Early fifties, OP?

I'm almost 62 and last summer I rode a hilly windy 10 mile TT in 29.20 on an ordinary road bike. Remembering stuff just takes a bit more effort in the memorising and the only worrying symptom of age is the need to get up for a tinkle during the night. My mum is 87, leads Ramblers walks and goes to a gym once a week so maybe it's in the genes.

OP
OP
U

User32269

Early fifties, OP?

I'm almost 62 and last summer I rode a hilly windy 10 mile TT in 29.20 on an ordinary road bike. Remembering stuff just takes a bit more effort in the memorising and the only worrying symptom of age is the need to get up for a tinkle during the night. My mum is 87, leads Ramblers walks and goes to a gym once a week so maybe it's in the genes.
Thank you! That's the spirit I need to hear!

classic33

Leg End Member
Already been carried out of the church by the local undertaker & placed in the back.

How about being in the same job for 74 years?

Julia9054

Guru
I'm probably fitter than I was when I was young. Then I used a bike to get around because I was late to driving but only discovered cycling for pleasure about 8 years ago. Before that, I was a real exercise avoider. I weigh exactly the same as I did when I was 25 but now it takes a bit of watching what I eat whereas then I could eat exactly what I liked.

Levo-Lon

Guru
I'm amazed at the younger generation these days.
Lots of the youngsters at work constantly complain of being tired and worn out.
Most are very much over weight and do nothing.

I blame mobile phones and tv and general poor lifestyle choices

I'd kill myself if id felt like this in my 20's
Im 52 and not super fit " i partied hard for 30 years" but compared to my younger work colleagues im a world champion athlete.
As for getting old ,it is what you make it,health is everything mind.
Life is for living ,live it

Top Bottom