Opinions on Spesh 2010 Allez Sport?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

abrooks100

Would like some thoughts on Spesh Allez 2010 Sport, I am hopefully going to buy one this weekend and I just want to make sure I am opting for the right bike.

My current and only bike is a Spesh Sirrus Elite 2009, I love the bike and all Spesh bikes seem pretty good but I am now wanting a propper racing bike as I am wanting to get into longer rides and sportives. My Sirrus is great but not ideal for Sportives.

Having just purchased my Sirrus last year I cannot afford to break the bank and with it being my first racing bike, I guess I am after the best entry level racer I can get for aroung £600. The Allez seems to hit the bill to me, am I right?

Norm

It depends on your size and shape. As you are looking at longer rides, you might also consider the Specialized Secteur. Different geometry (less bum-up, longer top tube) makes it more comfortable on a longer ride but not as good for getting the power down on a shorter run. You can manipulate the position with saddle heights, stem lengths etc, but for a longer journey, I'd go with (I went for!) the Secteur.

Try both, one will feel right.

I have recently bought an Allez sport as a winter bike alternative to my Trek Madone.
Its easily as comfortable, not as light and fast but more than adequate. While its new, the sora gear changes are slicker than the Ultegra ;) :biggrin:

madguern

Bought my Allez sport about 4 weeks ago after riding a trek 7.5 fx for the past year. Great bike and a good introduction to a drop bar bike. I bought because of the price and also because I can upgrade bits when I get the cash. Was just to be a weekend bike but has become my commute bike too, was brace enough to put SPD's on too.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
My first bike was an Allez Sport and I rode it on sportives and even on a supported tour from Krakow to Budapest. I still ride it when I'm going to town shopping.
I really like that bike. In an ideal world with lots of money, you could have a different bike for every occasion but you can do most things on the Allez and get a sporty ride too.

OP
OP
A

abrooks100

OK thanks guys I will make sure I try both the Secteur and the Allez. I discounted the Secteur as I am wanting a more racey / quicker ride from my Sirrus. But I will take your advice and see which one feels right.

I was a little concerned about the spec of the gears (Sora). BUt Norm I you saying that the sora changes are better than Ultegra. I am not right in thinking Ultegra is the next step up from Sora?

Broadside

Guru
No, Norm is saying that brand new Sora is better than worn Ultegra but I think he is being slightly tongue-in-cheek. Shimano road range goes Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra then Dura Ace. Someone will quickly correct me if I have got that wrong!

Norm

Actually, it was lifeson who was saying that. :wacko:

I think you're right on the Shimano heirarchy, dmoran, although you also have the 2200 before the Sora and Ultegra SL between the Ultegra and the 105.

I'm biased towards the Secteur, but then I chose it because, for the type of riding I want to do on it, the Secteur suited and fitted me better than the Allez. With apologies to Rhythm Thief, Your Mileage May Vary though, as you may have different body shape and different requirements.

My thinking was only based on your comment about wanting to do longer rides but I think either of them are fantastic bikes.

jimboalee

I bought an SWorks to ride the LEJOG in 7 days. 135 miles per day.

It was like me doing the first 7 stages of the T de F, except I took ten hours per day rather than five.

There was nothing wrong with the comfort of the bike. I set it up correctly and did a lot of 250 km day rides.

shippers

I'm having the same debated- looking at the sport models. 15% off if you're near the sheffied edinburgh bicycle coop :biggrin:
I think I'm going for the secteur.

potsy

Rambler
abrooks100 said:
went to purchase mine today, only to find LBS closed! Nightmare, will have to wait til during the week!
Oh dear.My lbs has started closing Sunday's too,thought that would be a bad idea.

Top Bottom