Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Zofo

Veteran
I’ve just put an order in for the M30 19 and taking delivery in early April. I had a test ride on the aluminium version a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it and was really sold. Killed all my Strava PRs on a hilly circular course I used as a tester.

Last edited:

Scaleyback

Veteran
I am trying to take the last ‘big step’ and purchase the Orbea Gain, probably the 2019 D30 (Shimano 105) or the D31 (Sram 1by). I am undecided about the Orbea Gain sizing, after providing my height/leg etc etc measurements Epic cycles told me I needed a small size. Current bikes 1 x Felt & 1 x Boardman are both medium i.e 54cms. Furthermore Orbea’s own sizing chart says small = 5’1” - 5’7” I am approx 5’ 8 1/2” Can anyone who owns the Gain help and advise me please ?

Scaleyback

Veteran
Ok, no feedback so I did it without you ^_^

Orbea Gain D30 2019 (105 build) ordered this morning. Small size as advised by two different Orbea retailers.
Collection on tuesday, never thought I would find one in stock.
Small discount achieved (£100.00) plus fitted full mudguards and Schwalbe G-One 40mm tyres of my choice.
Extras included, all in price £2,500.00. Gulp :ohmy:

butomus

Regular
Happy new bike,I had a orbea the d40 after six weeks old it developed a error 24 the bike would not switch on just a constant pink light I took it back to the retailer they didn't have any idea how to fix it they contacted orbea who basically didn't want to know very bad customer service

robgul

Legendary Member
Happy new bike,I had a orbea the d40 after six weeks old it developed a error 24 the bike would not switch on just a constant pink light I took it back to the retailer they didn't have any idea how to fix it they contacted orbea who basically didn't want to know very bad customer service

How long ago was that? When the bike first came out they had some prototypes that had issues withe switch - although no excuse for not responding.

I've had a Gain for almost a year and so far no issues whatsoever .. in fact the range is better than I expected. I also have 3 customers at my shop with them and there is total delight (they are all experienced riders)

Rob

butomus

Regular
I had the bike in October 2018,I've since acquired a giant road e+pro2 which don't look as nice as the orbea but the quality is far better

Scaleyback

Veteran

Are you going to finish this sad tale butomus and tell us what is the current position ? Under UK law the retailer is responsible for providing you with a bike ‘fit for purpose’ I am guessing you got a refund and purchased the Giant Road-e pro2 ?

Scaleyback

Veteran
I had the bike in October 2018,I've since acquired a giant road e+pro2 which don't look as nice as the orbea but the quality is far better

Orbea must be doing something right ?

Orbea profits up 25% in 2018 driven by demand in USA and UK for the Orbea Gain.

ebikemotion who make the motors for the Gain and other bikes were 'acquired' in 2018 by the German Automotive Supplier Mahle
https://www.ebikemotion.com/web/mahle-intensifies-pedelec-activities/

butomus

Regular
My experience with riding the orbea d40 against the giant road e+pro 2 is the giant has a lot more pulling power

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
My experience with riding the orbea d40 against the giant road e+pro 2 is the giant has a lot more pulling power
Thats cause its 35nm more torque than the orbea........the orbea's mantra is " just enough power"....rather than slapping an mtb motor on a road bike like the road e+

robgul

Legendary Member
Thats cause its 35nm more torque than the orbea........the orbea's mantra is " just enough power"....rather than slapping an mtb motor on a road bike like the road e+

The difference in weight between the Orbea (alloy versions) and the Giant is pretty big too . . . the Giant is also ugly, but that's a personal preference comment.

Rob

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
The difference in weight between the Orbea (alloy versions) and the Giant is pretty big too . . . the Giant is also ugly, but that's a personal preference comment.

Rob
I wouldnt say it was ugly....just more industrial looking with its big down tube battery and mamouth motor. Where as the Orbea is trying to be more road like in its looks and feel

Scaleyback

Veteran

Yes, as already explained by jowwy & robgul , these are both 'pedal assisted bikes' in name but they have totally different aims. The Giant is super powerful and will propel the biggest most unfit rider to the top of the steepest hill. The Gain has approx half the power is some 6kg lighter and requires more input from the rider.
'Horses for courses' as the saying goes.

Scaleyback

Veteran
I took delivery of an Orbea Gain D30 2019 a couple of days ago. This is the Shimano 105 build which has changed from the 2018 version.
I purchased the bike from Leisure Lakes (Lancaster branch) the only one in stock. I had full SKS mudguards fitted and Schwalbe G-One 38c tyres. The service and staff of Leisure Lakes was excellent.
As delivered the bike weighed 14.9 kg. (weighed on a Park Tool bike scale) I imagine the bigger tyres and mudguards may account for approx 0.9 kg ?

This is early days but here are my thoughts. To be relevant you need to know a little about me (sorry )
I am 72, 70kg, fit and healthy with no impediments to cycling (touching wood now
upload_2019-3-2_16-4-51.gif
)
I have cycled 4,000 + miles for the last 3 years the highest total being 5,300.
I have a 8kg road bike with 11/32 'Granny gearing' that I shall keep. I can still ride up decent hills on this bike, 15% maybe a little more
without too much trouble. This is the Garmin Connect data from a ride on this road bike earlier this week.

Road Bike
Distance: 25.41 mi / Time: 1:37:05 / Avg Speed: 15.7 mph / Elev Gain: 1,578 ft / Avg HR: 118 bpm / Max HR: 145 bpm.

This same route was repeated 3 days later on my Orbea Gain. Small differences in mileage maybe due to different tyre circumference 25c vs 38c ?

Orbea Gain 1st ride.
Distance: 25.54 mi / Time: 1:35:28: / Avg Speed: 16.1 mph / Elev Gain: 1,555 ft / Avg HR: 114 bpm / Max HR: 138 bpm

The Gain was only ridden in 'lowest assist/eco/green' I was testing the bike and myself.

I never set out to race road bike v Gain, I rode reasonably hard (on both bikes)but certainly not 'eyeballs out'
My max HR is between 155 & 160 bpm. So my average HR for both rides was approx 75%.

Things to note, I was 1m 37secs faster on the Gain, my average speed was 0.4 mph faster on the Gain.
My average HR was a little lower on the Gain.

1,600ft of climbing with two long ascents, one of 1.7mi with a top gradient of 14% and one of 3.5mi with a top gradient of 11%.

I have no doubt that on a flatter/flat(ish) course I would be faster on the road bike. It is not 'rocket science' the more climbing the bigger the advantage to the Orbea Gain.

The next day I rode only the Gain.

Orbea Gain 2nd ride.
Distance: 16.54 mi / Time: 1:02:27 / Avg Speed: 15.9 mph / Elev Gain: 942 ft / Avg HR: 115 bpm / Max HR: 133 bpm.

The battery was not charged after ride 1. Again I used exclusively the lowest (green) assist level.

The battery voltage dropped to below 50% at the 40 mile point. I am very satisfied with this, 40 mile and almost 2,600 ft of climbing. But my average speed on both rides was over the 15.5mph assist cut-out point.
I never used the top two assist levels.

The motor assist 'cut in' is almost imperceptible as is the human 'take over. Full marks to Orbea.

This is a great bike for me, it is exactly what I want. The freedom to ride further/higher in and around the Yorkshires dales and know that if I overreach myself I have 'help' under me. But also to do it on a great looking bike that allows me to ride above the 15.5 mph assist level a good part of the time.

There are many old/older fit riders that I think this bike will be exactly what they want. But if you are looking for a 'pedal assisted' bike to do a large proportion of the work be very sure before you part with your 'hard earned dosh' that the Orbea Gain is 'up to the job'

Sorry, this has turned into a 'weighty tome' ,
upload_2019-3-2_16-5-28.gif
I do hope I may have helped someone with a difficult decision.

Roy

Last edited:
Top Bottom