Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Storck

Hi guys, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to start an argument. I'm assuming laws are different in the US, Canada and the EU so since there are members here from multiple countries maybe we're all right/wrong depending on where we're located? Anyhow, I talked to the company I mail ordered it from and they said that they unlock them prior to shipment.....so I'm keeping my fingers crossed and won't worry about it unless it comes in in restricted mode. Thank you all, I never had a clue about the dealer app/restricted mode and appreciate you letting me know.

I'm sure the dealer will do his stuff. However you would soon know come 50 miles on the clock? When are you expecting it to arrive? Don't forget to let us all know your first impressions?

MarkF

Guru
Still no reply from Chevin or Cycle Republic, from a potential buyer wanting to test ride. :wacko:

Will look for another, within distance, dealer, then give probably give up.

Southernguns

Still no reply from Chevin or Cycle Republic, from a potential buyer wanting to test ride. :wacko:

Will look for another, within distance, dealer, then give probably give up.
Or buy one mail order - then we can discuss if the 50 mile restriction has been removed and someone can post how aghast they are that there is a 50 mile restriction (which I assume is put on in order to prevent theft - and is quick, easy and, I am informed (rightly or wrongly), free for dealers to remove before you actually receive the bike). :okay:

No, that is exactly my point. Your Sony camera etc that you have purchased will not deliberately stop functioning after 50 pictures. Your choice of where to buy. So-called "grey imports" are perfectly legal, it is part of a free market, if it were otherwise it would be akin to price-fixing, which is not legal.
Personally, I don't really care about this argument and actually find it quite funny, but I am feeling left out so thought I would make a comment just so that I can join the fight:boxing:. In the interest of GDPR and privacy etc. I cannot see any issue with restricting the bike as I do not think Orbea takes any of your details when you derestrict the bike. Orbea just take all your details when you sign in on their app that connects to the bike instead.:laugh:

And as for grey's - I cannot comment much about cameras as every photo I have taken has heads chopped off or fingers across faces, but with motorbikes and cars - yes they are legal, but (back in the day) try getting them serviced: OMG! Most mechanics wouldn't touch them and them that did sky rocketed their prices (is this not akin to price fixing?)! This meant unless you could do your own servicing, had loads of cash (in which case why buy a cheaper grey?) or just didn't give a damn, that you were buying a vehicle that you could only use for a few thousand miles! (side note: I have owned loads of greys - I just didn't give a damn). Some motorbikes are also restricted (legally) meaning you are buying a vehicle which will not allow you to go over a certain speed - so is this really a 'free market'? Back in the day the first thing 16 and 17 year olds would do was to derestrict them and remove the baffles from the exhaust to eek out every last mph from their 50cc and 125cc powerhouses! - Now this is illegal!

Interestingly, it is also perfectly legal for Apple to sell phones that, after taking 20 photos (bit of an exaggeration), stop working as anything other than a phone (and who uses their phones as phones these days?) because the memory is full. Thus, forcing you to remove your photos before you can take any more, or buy another iphone with bigger memory at an even more exuberant price (more backdoor price fixing?)! They also lock your phone completely if you restore it and have forgotten your password, rendering it a very expensive door stop (they actually fit perfectly under most doors and work really well!) and forcing you to buy another iphone - more backdoor price fixing?

No, I don't have an issue with Orbea putting a 50 mile restriction on their pre-sold electric bikes.

So in my little world free markets don't truly exist and price fixing is common place, if not a little underhand. Am I bothered? No, because there are still Caramac's and condensed milk!

Last edited:

Scaleyback

Veteran
etc
Personally, I don't really care about this argument and actually find it quite funny,

I didn't really see it as an " argument " but a difference of opinion. A forum is medium for a exchange of views afterall. :cycle:

p.s
" free markets don't truly exist and price fixing is common place, if not a little underhand. "

Spot on there.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
I don't know or care why Orbea restrict their bikes to 50 mile, but I am curios,if as stated its to stop theft, how does this work ? if you take one for a test ride presumably you have to leave a credit card or some such security before you can ride it, if somebody grabs one and makes off 50 mile is a fair distance to disappear in.
If Orbea have a simple method of removing the limit, you can bet somebody will be able to crack it.

Last edited:

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Do you owners of Gains realise that Orbea effectively own your bike maintenance? The parts that you need to replace in the future for the 'e' part of the bike also come locked, meaning that you have to go back to the dealer to have them fitted and activated. You are entirely at the mercy of Orbea and their LBS. When Apple tried this, they were roundly criticized and I think subject to anti trust lawsuits. I realise that you are at the mercy of the manufacturer to keep supplying parts for years, but to me this goes beyond replying on a company to keep producing parts and goes into creating a monopoly.

Look at page 8 in the dealer manual. https://www.orbea.com/downloads/Dealer_APP_Manual_Gain_EN.pdf

robgul

Legendary Member
Sort of related to the "limitation" comments - all the ebikes (that's containers of our own brand machines) we have coming in are "not activated" as far as the battery is concerned - this is to do with the transit of batteries and potential risks etc. - carriers need the batteries to be "asleep" In our bikes, unlocking (with a key) and switching the machine into power mode activates the battery and thus the bike.

... and the point about mail-order Orbeas - I bought mine from Tredz ('cos even though I manage an LBS I couldn't get any trade or discount terms) and it came fully-built in a Tredz branded box with the front wheel fitted and just the bars turned and the "free" pedals in a small separate box, with a 15mm cone spanner to use as a pedal spanner. Just turn the bars and tighten the stem - that's it. [However being used to fixing Halfords/a.k.a. Tredz bikes post-PDI I did my own check right round the bike ... bar-tape wasn't fitted very well and one of the brake levers had a loose-ish clamp] Orbeas being delivered to dealers come in the normal style of box with the front wheel off, stowed beside the frame and the bars & saddle off (at least that's how I've seen them at a dealer friend's shop) - there are of course no pedals.

Rob

Milkfloat

An Peanut
@robgul It is nothing to do with shipping batteries and all to do with warranty. The battery is not asleep, you get 50km of transit mode so the shop can set the bike up and test it. The warranty period kicks in when the bike is activated.

Solom01

I'll definitely let you all know how it goes, maybe it will help someone else in the future. The bike shop I ordered it from is in Northern California and I'm in the Southwest coast of Florida so it isn't supposed to get here until June 26th. Now if I could just find some Caramac to try. I've never been to the UK, but I was in Australia this October and although I had a fantastic time (some of the nicest folks I have ever met) no one ever mentioned Caramac - just some truly delicious beer.

Southernguns

I don't know or care why Orbea restrict their bikes to 50 mile, but I am curios,if as stated its to stop theft, how does this work ? if you take one for a test ride presumably you have to leave a credit card or some such security before you can ride it, if somebody grabs one and makes off 50 mile is a fair distance to disappear in.
If Orbea have a simple method of removing the limit, you can bet somebody will be able to crack it.
I was writing in the early hours of the morning before the sun was showing its face and my tiny brain finds it hard to function fully that early. I didn't even think of it like this :banghead:. I was thinking more along the lines of someone selling a stolen bike down the pub. If a perspective buyer knew that there was a chance that the bike would not work as expected at 50 miles then they would not buy it. The other explanations posted by Robgul and Milkfloat are much more plausible answers to the 50 mile restriction than my anti theft guess though.

Southernguns

I didn't really see it as an " argument " but a difference of opinion. A forum is medium for a exchange of views afterall. :cycle:
I know, Scaleyback mate :thumbsup: - it was meant as a bit of tongue in cheek really. That's the trouble with written text- you lose the intonation that's found in verbal speech, and try as I might to get the intonation across with really bad humour and smileys, unfortunately they just don't cut it.

Storck

I'll definitely let you all know how it goes, maybe it will help someone else in the future. The bike shop I ordered it from is in Northern California and I'm in the Southwest coast of Florida so it isn't supposed to get here until June 26th. Now if I could just find some Caramac to try. I've never been to the UK, but I was in Australia this October and although I had a fantastic time (some of the nicest folks I have ever met) no one ever mentioned Caramac - just some truly delicious beer.

Now you mention it, although stationed in Auss for long periods, I don't ever recall seeing Caramac? I think it was made by Terrys of York. One things for sure Sol, it would go soft in your climate.

Solom01

:smile: Well, in the summer here it's normally about 33.5 and about 85-90% humidity...kind of like living in a sauna thanks to the Gulf so yup, no anything including pets and kids unless they're in air conditioning - and cycling is interesting - no hills at all, but trying to prevent a heat stroke is part of the fun. On the other hand, during the winter it's sunny, about 22 during the day and rarely goes below 50 at night so that part is great. Next time I'm in New York or DC though I am definitely finding some Caramac - hopefully it won't be like Vegemite - I tried that in Australia and I've got to say that it must be an acquired taste.

Storck

:smile: Well, in the summer here it's normally about 33.5 and about 85-90% humidity...kind of like living in a sauna thanks to the Gulf so yup, no anything including pets and kids unless they're in air conditioning - and cycling is interesting - no hills at all, but trying to prevent a heat stroke is part of the fun. On the other hand, during the winter it's sunny, about 22 during the day and rarely goes below 50 at night so that part is great. Next time I'm in New York or DC though I am definitely finding some Caramac - hopefully it won't be like Vegemite - I tried that in Australia and I've got to say that it must be an acquired taste.

No nothing like Vegamite, as you say - An aquired taste. The opposite in fact, sweet. I know all about your weather? Apart from been based in DC. at an unsual shaped building, I also had a condo in Fort Lauderdale, near by the lifting bridge over the canal that fed the cruise terminal. In fact the bridge was the only hill for miles and miles. Think I may have to help you out with procuring some Caramac?

Scaleyback

Veteran
Guys, when I log on to www.ebikemotion.com and look at the tag 'My eBikes' the Activation Date on mine is 12-03-2018

i-JFpfmzJ.jpg

I would have expected this date to reflect when the bike was put on the road ? in my case in Feb 2019.
Can someone check theirs please ?

Top Bottom