Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mainiac

Moots, even on a £1000+ alloy frame only, I have seen some basic welding finish after all it's not fillet braizing. If anyone wants a superb finished alloy frame then they have to spend big. My alloy Basso frame was £2000 beautiful smooth welds and paint finish but that's where the cash goes. I'm sure you will find the range improving most of us get at least 60 miles. I find riding a new bike for the first time strange, taking in the quirks of the bike and the strangeness of it. Takes a good few rides to sort out most comfortable and efficient position. Once it becomes a "Part of You" you will be more at home and smooth. Hope you enjoy and get plenty of use out of it?

Appreciate the reassurance re mileage. How accurate is the projected miles on the ebikemotion app?

Storck

Appreciate the reassurance re mileage. How accurate is the projected miles on the ebikemotion app?

I've never used it. It does appear though the higher the gear you use? The less assist is provided thus less battery usage. To get the full benifit of the motor on hills you need to ride up them using a high cadence.

Mainiac

I've never used it. It does appear though the higher the gear you use? The less assist is provided thus less battery usage. To get the full benifit of the motor on hills you need to ride up them using a high cadence.
I have no trouble using a high gear, my issue is using a high cadence.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
In my experience - now over 2500 miles - I estimate that on a fairly flat ride 100% charge = 100km. So around 60 miles. At the end of a recent ride, a not terribly hilly 50 miles, 5% remained. I should add that due to muscle problems I can no longer ride an unassisted bike for more than very few miles, so perhaps I rely on the Gain's assistance more than many who report much better distance per charge. I've found the app pretty accurate as far as predicted range is concerned.

Scaleyback

Veteran
Moots, even on a £1000+ alloy frame only, I have seen some basic welding finish after all it's not fillet braizing. If anyone wants a superb finished alloy frame then they have to spend big.

Hmm ! I have purchased two Boardman bikes from new both £1,000 (or less) and both had beautiful smooth welds.

'Mainiac' said

" The welds are butt ugly. "

The Orbea Gain welds do not bother me at all, when you see what other makers are charging for their bikes with the same power unit I will take the " butt ugly" Gain welds sooner than an extra £1,000 + on the purchase price.

" Maybe more importantly, I rode 19 miles with a fair amount of hills and battery was below 50%. While as a newbie I was toggling a bit between levels but for some of the ride I was not using the assist at all.
Am I going to be limited to 40 mile rides? Can you sense my disappointment? "

Can you define " a fair amount of hills " do you log your rides ? most decent cycle computers will record the gradient climbed.

To show a littIe of my experience I did this ride and had 51% battery remaining. See page 6 of this thread for further details.
Distance: 40.15 miles
Time: 2:33:16
Avg Speed: 15.7 mph
Elev Gain: 2,697 ft

I am a fit 72 year old and the bike suits me perfectly.

Sadly :blush: I think it is going to be down to the rider, you have maybe purchased the wrong bike ? but it's early days yet, only your 1st ride ?
Do the same 19 mile ride and let us know the accumulated gradient climbed and we can relate it to our experiences.

Mainiac

Hmm ! I have purchased two Boardman bikes from new both £1,000 (or less) and both had beautiful smooth welds.

'Mainiac' said

" The welds are butt ugly. "

The Orbea Gain welds do not bother me at all, when you see what other makers are charging for their bikes with the same power unit I will take the " butt ugly" Gain welds sooner than an extra £1,000 + on the purchase price.

" Maybe more importantly, I rode 19 miles with a fair amount of hills and battery was below 50%. While as a newbie I was toggling a bit between levels but for some of the ride I was not using the assist at all.
Am I going to be limited to 40 mile rides? Can you sense my disappointment? "

Can you define " a fair amount of hills " do you log your rides ? most decent cycle computers will record the gradient climbed.

To show a littIe of my experience I did this ride and had 51% battery remaining. See page 6 of this thread for further details.
Distance: 40.15 miles
Time: 2:33:16
Avg Speed: 15.7 mph
Elev Gain: 2,697 ft

I am a fit 72 year old and the bike suits me perfectly.

Sadly :blush: I think it is going to be down to the rider, you have maybe purchased the wrong bike ? but it's early days yet, only your 1st ride ?
Do the same 19 mile ride and let us know the accumulated gradient climbed and we can relate it to our experiences.
Just over 1k vertical feet on strava, grades 3-7%, a few short stretches were 10%. No where near your avg speed. Thanks everyone for feedback. Not my nature to overreact. And to be fair, the moots is a $6k bike.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If Mainiac is in the USA (clue: "the moots is a $6k bike") isn't the assist limit 20mph? Therefore battery use likely to be more. as the cut-off advantage will not happen until exceeding 20mph?

Storck

Doh ! I missed the USA link, makes my posts pointless. Selective deletions called for. 😳

Will get the prescription sent out Scaley.

Southernguns

Brand new owner of Orbea Gain F20. Trying very hard to not be disappointed. Picked bike up yesterday from my lbs after special order. The welds are butt ugly. Yes, I ordered it sight unseen after riding Moots for 15 years, but my wife rides an orbea. What up with these welds?

Maybe more importantly, I rode 19 miles with a fair amount of hills and battery was below 50%. While as a newbie I was toggling a bit between levels but for some of the ride I was not using the assist at all.

Am I going to be limited to 40 mile rides? Can you sense my disappointment?
I was disappointed with my first few rides in terms of battery mileage and predicted about 60 miles of riding on a charge. However, it does vary hugely depending on how I ride the bike. Like Storck said - high cadence and lots of spinning really helps with the amount of battery use. Adjusting the amount of power used on each level (done through the app) also helps. After a few rides I found a riding style and position that works well for me and I reckon I can get about 80 miles out of a battery with about 2500ft of road climbing (5-12%), free wheeling down the steeper hills and no head wind - depending on how I feel and what mood I am in! I am in the UK so battery support ends at 15.5mph. I weigh 12.5 stone and am 45 years old with several back problems (hence the electric bike).

In the better weather seasons I rarely ride on road and tend to stick to gravel and mountain bike trails. The mountain bike trails gives the bike a bit of a battering, especially on 33mm tyres (must upgrade to 38mm), but the bike is holding up well, although I've not done huge mileage on it yet (about 700 miles in 6 months) due to injuries, poor LBS support and poor weather. I love the bike and, as more of a runner rather than a cyclist, it's really helped me to enjoy cycling. I am now a convert. Would I buy another electric bike? In a heartbeat! Would I buy another Orbea Gain? I am not sure - Ribble's CGR is available now and seems slightly better priced and when I look at the build quality of the Orbea D30 compared to my £1000 (non electric) Trek, the Trek seems to be much superior. I am also sure other offerings will become available over the next year or two. Like Scaley, I would have to seriously look around first before making the decision, especially as Orbea seem to be a bit hit and miss with their support and my Orbea LBS seem to be VERY slow and poor with their customer care. Am I disappointed with the Orbea? Not at all - I love it and it was definitely the right purchase. I love it so much that I rarely ride my Trek now and am thinking of selling it.

Last edited:

Storck

I was disappointed with my first few rides in terms of battery mileage and predicted about 60 miles of riding on a charge. However, it does vary hugely depending on how I ride the bike. Like Storck said - high cadence and lots of spinning really helps with the amount of battery use. Adjusting the amount of power used on each level (done through the app) also helps. After a few rides I found a riding style and position that works well for me and I reckon I can get about 80 miles out of a battery with about 2500ft of road climbing (5-12%), free wheeling down the steeper hills and no head wind - depending on how I feel and what mood I am in! I am in the UK so battery support ends at 15.5mph. I weight 12.5 stone and am 45 years old with several back problems (hence the electric bike).

In the better weather seasons I rarely ride on road and tend to stick to gravel and mountain bike trails. The mountain bike trails gives the bike a bit of a battering, especially on 33mm tyres (must upgrade to 38mm), but the bike is holding up well, although I've not done huge mileage on it yet (about 700 miles in 6 months) due to injuries, poor LBS support and poor weather. I love the bike and, as more of a runner rather than a cyclist, it's really helped me to enjoy cycling. I am now a convert. Would I buy another electric bike? In a heartbeat! Would I buy another Orbea Gain? I am not sure - Ribble's CGR is available now and seems slightly better priced and when I look at the build quality of the Orbea D30 compared to my £1000 (non electric) Trek, the Trek seems to be much superior. I am also sure other offerings will become available over the next year or two. Like Scaley, I would have to seriously look around first before making the decision, especially as Orbea seem to be a bit hit and miss with their support and my Orbea LBS seem to be VERY slow and poor with their customer care. Am I disappointed with the Orbea? Not at all - I love it and it was definitely the right purchase. I love it so much that I rarely ride my Trek now and am thinking of selling it.

Don't sell South? Buy a turbo and use it on that. Ten miles a day during this horrible weather will keep you "At It"

Southernguns

Don't sell South? Buy a turbo and use it on that. Ten miles a day during this horrible weather will keep you "At It"
I have a cheap turbo trainer which I use an old hybrid bike on, although I struggle to get motivated to use it regularly. However, 10 miles a day on it sounds like a much better prospect than trying to do an hour and a half twice a week!

Storck

I have a cheap turbo trainer which I use an old hybrid bike on, although I struggle to get motivated to use it regularly. However, 10 miles a day on it sounds like a much better prospect than trying to do an hour and a half twice a week!

That's what I do during my snooker playing season. I also set it up easy? So I average around 17mph using 70/80rpm about 80% max HR. I'm not trying to get fitter, just keeping the fitness level and muscles familiar to riding a bike. Come late Feb, I will then turn up the pressure but never more than around 30-40 mins.

Top Bottom