Organ donors in motion.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
https___cdn.evbuc.com_images_61419113_305123280855_1_original.jpeg
Looks like it was this.
Problem is most of the kids seemed to have a death wish.

bladesman73

Über Member
Unfortunate you see this a lot around here, I'm always amazed at people who have bikes into the multi thousands that wear black and don't bother with lights, jump red lights ,over take up the inside of large vehicles, at least the none cyclist ,cyclists stick to the foot paths. It makes us all look like pillocks !
...waiting for the day black cars have their lights on in the daytime, without them I fail to see them... sigh

winjim

Smash the cistern
When all is said and done if you are driving a car in the daytime and you fail to see a fellow road user because that person is on a bike and wearing black, then you are Stevie Wonder and you need your licence removing from you.
I agree, but it seems that the powers that be perhaps do not, since they have decided that even a car in full daylight is not visible enough and have mandated that all new vehicles are fitted with daytime running lights. So we can't use them as a counterargument, and if you say you've never seen any then either you're joking, or perhaps it's you that needs to pay a bit more attention.

bladesman73

Über Member
I agree, but it seems that the powers that be perhaps do not, since they have decided that even a car in full daylight is not visible enough and have mandated that all new vehicles are fitted with daytime running lights. So we can't use them as a counterargument, and if you say you've never seen any then either you're joking, or perhaps it's you that needs to pay a bit more attention.
Why should I pay attention to black cars and whether they have their lights on in the daytime or not? I have perfect sight so can see two tonnes of motor on a road from a distance, lights on or not. If a car needs lights on in the daytime to be seen then the problem is people on the roads in control of vehicles whose sight is so poor they shouldnt be driving/cycling on the road.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Why should I pay attention to black cars and whether they have their lights on in the daytime or not? I have perfect sight so can see two tonnes of motor on a road from a distance, lights on or not. If a car needs lights on in the daytime to be seen then the problem is people on the roads in control of vehicles whose sight is so poor they shouldnt be driving/cycling on the road.
Again I'm sorry because again I can't tell if you're joking, but are you honestly telling me that you haven't noticed that all new cars built at least in the last eight years, and probably for some time before that, have been driving around with their lights on during the day?

Seriously, are you telling me that or are you just trying to make a point?

icowden

Veteran
Am I missing something? It doesn't matter whether the black car is visible or not, it does matter that a cyclist is visible.

When a car is hit by something (usually another car) that hasn't seen it, there is a considerable amount of protection in the car to protect the contents.
When a bike is hit by something (also usually another car) that hasn't seen it, there is possibly a bit of polystyrene on the head and a pair of gloves to protect the contents.

Bladesman73 - You may have perfect sight, but you are not an owl or possessed of 360 degree vision. You can see cars in front of you, but not necessarily to the side or rear of you.

Ipso facto cyclists need to make sure they are seen. Quod erat demonstrandum.

PS Studies seem to suggest that in perfect conditions, daytime running lights make little difference. However they do make a difference in poor conditions / dawn / dusk, therefore it is better to have them , than not.
https://www.dot.state.mn.us/research/TRS/2011/TRS1009.pdf

winjim

Smash the cistern
Am I missing something? It doesn't matter whether the black car is visible or not, it does matter that a cyclist is visible.

When a car is hit by something (usually another car) that hasn't seen it, there is a considerable amount of protection in the car to protect the contents.
When a bike is hit by something (also usually another car) that hasn't seen it, there is possibly a bit of polystyrene on the head and a pair of gloves to protect the contents.

Bladesman73 - You may have perfect sight, but you are not an owl or possessed of 360 degree vision. You can see cars in front of you, but not necessarily to the side or rear of you.
It matters because it makes a nonsense of arguments like this one

...waiting for the day black cars have their lights on in the daytime, without them I fail to see them... sigh
because that day is here, and in fact has been for some time.

Guns don't kill people, rappers do.

DRLs on cars contribute to the lighting arms race that has led to cyclists having stupid bright flashing lights on all the time, and attitudes such as
This implies that cyclists should use lights and high viz and if they're not seen it's their own fault. It's shifting responsibility away from from the person who can inflict the greatest harm and suggesting that a cyclist who is complying with the legal minimum of lighting requirements deserves to be at a disadvantage when it comes to safety.

DRLs are stupid. Bike lights are stupid. Anything brighter than sidelights in a built up area are unnecessary and stupid. Streetlights are perfectly adequate. Reflectors are cool.

theclaud

Openly Marxist

PS Studies seem to suggest that in perfect conditions, daytime running lights make little difference. However they do make a difference in poor conditions / dawn / dusk, therefore it is better to have them , than not.
https://www.dot.state.mn.us/research/TRS/2011/TRS1009.pdf

When I first read your argument I thought it was nonsense. But I'm convinced now. Due to all the Latin.

Last edited:
Top Bottom